Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2021, 19:37   #16

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Survey in Barrie Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratenorm View Post
I know of a couple boats locally where the owner has passed away and it causes a lot of trouble for the marina. One boat sat at its finger dock well into December (most boats haul out in October). Finally the marina had to take responsibility for it, and no one to pay the costs, for a pretty much derelict boat.

There is another sailboat anchored in the Cataraqui River, just north of the Lasalle Causeway (Kingston) all this winter. It seems to have survived the ice, but the jib recently unfurled in a wind storm and is shredded. Looks like a ghost ship out there in the broken ice with long scraps of sailcloth flying from the fore stay.

I can understand the marinas using caution. The fleet is ageing, and so are the skippers.
I fully and completely understand this. As a broker, and very long time sailor, I know marinas are full of the Lost Soul Boats, usually tucked deep away in a corner. You know they are the result of an illness or a death, many inherited to survivors who don't know what to do with it, so it gets ignored, abandoned, unloved....

My apologies to the OP for the drift, but I disagree with Piratenorm opinion on this.

Asking for boat surveys will never prevent people from getting old or sick and abandon their boats for whatever reason. I could easily get my boat surveyed then let it die in the marina a few years later. They could of course request yearly surveys - they would make surveyors very happy, but I am sure they are already too busy. Pardon my sarcasm, but to prevent aging sailors from abandoning their boats for sickness or any reason they might as well request a medical with the boat survey.

The main reason they are doing this is to curb the admission of project boats and prevent people from working on their own boats. They have the right to do this and protect their contractors, its their policy, and they prefer to turn business away. So be it, I took my money somewhere else.

You can see the results of this attitude by checking the number of docks and boats at Port Credit Marina, which is about 30% of what it used to be. It was once the largest and busiest marina in the GTA, but with this kind of management, boat owners went elsewhere and the docks started to dilapidate. I know, I was there for a couple of years. Yet they insist on the same business model – and after all these years, it may be working for them, but it is hard to see how by looking at how little they are re-investing in the place.
In any case, it’s a perfect place for a marina, and really I hope not, but it won’t be long before the final lease expire and the condo builders get in.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 09:31   #17

Thanks for the leads. We are going to tow this boat to his sisters yard in Etobicoke and he will work on it there till it's ready for the water. Thanks for all the info.
floater88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 19:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
You can see the results of this attitude by checking the number of docks and boats at Port Credit Marina, which is about 30% of what it used to be. It was once the largest and busiest marina in the GTA, but with this kind of management, boat owners went elsewhere and the docks started to dilapidate. I know, I was there for a couple of years. Yet they insist on the same business model – and after all these years, it may be working for them, but it is hard to see how by looking at how little they are re-investing in the place.
In any case, it’s a perfect place for a marina, and really I hope not, but it won’t be long before the final lease expire and the condo builders get in.
The writing is truly on the wall for the Pt Credit Marina area. No wonder there's no investment going into current facilities. And the reduced area allocated for all marina on-land requirements - offices, repair facility, chandlery, parking, boat storage - is pathetic.

[/derail]
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 08:55   #19

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The writing is truly on the wall for the Pt Credit Marina area. No wonder there's no investment going into current facilities. And the reduced area allocated for all marina on-land requirements - offices, repair facility, chandlery, parking, boat storage - is pathetic.

[/derail]
Agreed, but it is a nice plan though, however 5 years old already and no timeline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	235144  
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ontario, survey