Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 07:02   #16

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'
Re: Suggested east coast itinerary northbound cruise starting in Nov

Since your desire is to cruise New England during the summer I would like to suggest that you give strong consideration to postponing your trip for a year. The Chesapeake in the Spring and Fall and New England, late June - Sept., are great cruising areas that you will want to spend large amounts of time ashore exploring and dining. Doing this during the COVID Pandemic WILL put major restrictions on your experience. Given the time and effort put into doing the cruise why hamper it with restrictions that will certainly hamper the experience. The areas will still be there to truly enjoy. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:20   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by wathey View Post
Mast height is 74 so motoring ICW is an option only when drawbridges are available.
I can not think of an ICW section that doesn't involve a fixed bridge. You didn't give a draft, but most of the ICW can be done an 8' draft with little trouble.

You are going to have to just do things based on ocean entrances. So some sight stops heading north:
Dry Tortugas
Key West - sights museums
Ft Lauderdale and it's pricey marinas
St Augustine - forts and old stuff
St Johns/Jacksonville - nothing to see really
St Mary's - Fernandina and Cumberland Island
St Simon Sound -you could get close enough to Jekyll Island to dinghy
Norfolk/Portsmouth(entering from outside) - anchor at Hospital Point and there are lots of sights
Chesapeake - Yorktown, St Mary's in Potomac
NYC - pick various places

I think you are going to need to plan on car trips to see things overall.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:52   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Around the end of November getting fuel and water becomes an issue because docks start shutting down their dockside services.
I’ve never had trouble getting fuel in winter. You may have to work the phones a bit and plan ahead. Water takes more planning and may require some schedule flexibility. OP’s weekend-preferred transits provide that sort of flexibility.

The biggest issue for the OP is going to be pump-outs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japarker11 View Post
most every vessel, sail or power, is hauled in October. Winter on the hook in New England is a complicated endeavor
Far from everyone hauls out and all in all not that hard to winter over. A diesel heater makes a huge difference. If the boat is comfortable for living aboard you don’t have to winterize anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wathey View Post
Hi, our family is thinking about home school and work on a yacht while making our way up the east coast
The biggest problem with short hops is the amount of time you burn getting out of one inlet and in the next. That is wasted time. Personally, I would take a week off, get out into the Gulf Stream and just go at least as far as Chesapeake Bay and maybe Boston.

Note that your post about staying South of the frost line is all well and good but you’ll have cold nights even in Florida.

Intensely as I dislike Florida you might be happiest spending some time in the Keys, visit Fort Jefferson, work your way around on weekends and spend some time in Marathon, Fort Lauderdale, St Augustine, and wait for April or May. Take time off work to get to the Chesapeake and work your way up to Maine and then back before picking up the places you missed boosting up the Gulf Stream in the Carolinas and Georgia.

Adding to the list of others if you can reach Elizabeth City with your mast that is a nice educational stop. If the USCG air station is still running tours that’s recommended. Hampton VA has a small air and space museum. If you can get into Crisfield (draft) there is much to be said for a visit to Tangier and Smith Islands. Either Cambridge or Easton but I wouldn’t bother with both. St Michaels or Solomons for the maritime museums. Much to see in both Annapolis (including USNA) and Baltimore (aquarium). Stop in Atlantic Highlands and take the ferry into Manhattan.

COVID-19 has very real impacts on cruising. You’ll want to call ahead for hours and availability of fuel, water, and pump-out. You simply can’t count on websites being up to date. Car rentals have gotten more difficult with limits and restrictions. Courtesy cars are often no longer available. Situations strike me as unlikely to improve in your time frame; that is opinion of course. You’re going to have to keep up with changes in regulations, especially as some states see surges in infections. I expect to see harder lines taken on quarantines especially for interstate travel. “Quarantine” will mean quarantine, not “stay home except for groceries and pharmaceuticals and Starbucks coffee and take-out food.”

One of my aphorisms (I call them “Davisms”) is never miss an opportunity to eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, charge something, or top up fuel and water. Buy food in quantities that will fit, not how much you think you need. Stay rested in case you have to move or press on. Take advantage of every pump-out. Keep your batteries up (ship’s batteries as well as personal electronics). Keep fuel and water above your risk threshold. Three-quarters seems good to me unless you’re on a passage. Carry jugs for diesel, gasoline, and water in case that is your only option for filling.

I think with minor modifications your plan is quite attainable. I wish you well. Holler if I can help. I’ve been up and down the East Coast many dozens of times on delivery. I’m not a sightseer on delivery (or at all for that matter) but I have been in and out of just about everywhere.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:25   #19

Boat: Leopard 48

I appreciate the insight and places to look at on the charts. I may reach out with some more specific questions once our rough itinerary is decided on for a base.
wathey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, east coast