Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 10:33   #76

Re: Success stories from inexperienced buyers of large boats

Are you inexperienced with mechanical/electrical/systems skill sets? Are you inexperienced on basic boating?

Typically, an inexperienced boating person does have skill sets that will help them make decisions.

When I bought my Gozzard G37 I considered myself very inexperienced. But I brought a lot to the party. I had been sailing on my partners stinkpot for a few years. Had over a decade of experience in kayaking and very good mechanical/electrical and systems skills. I went into the purchase knowing that I didn't know what I didn't know and that I would need to spend a year or two working on Estrella before I felt comfortable with her. I would have to build my sailing skills as well as keep Estrella in great operating condition.

But, the skill sets I did bring to the party helped me make good decisions about the type of boat I wanted to buy and, three years later, I am very happy with my decision.

Was I inexperienced? I think I was. But I used my life experiences and my skill sets to analyze and make what I believe was a very good decision!
paula_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:39   #77

Boat: Moitessier designed Joshua 40

What I didn’t appreciate at first was the difference between sailing and cruising. I’d sailed my whole life, but started cruising at 55. So much to learn! I have a lot of respect for people who start from scratch and succeed, but doubt the success rate is more than a few percent of those who start late with just a dream.
jalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:49   #78

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirzones View Post
I would say if you sit on your boat with a smile on your face, rum in hand , no matter if your in the Bahamas or in the yard, then you are successful 👍
There is that, since ultimately itís about the happiness it brings. And, you still have a boat.

And whether you care if you got divorced or how much it cost. Also subtract the number of boats you hit, and number of times you had to be rescued, the quantity of crab pots cut free, and hours of free help fixing your outboard.

Lol I know some boaters (both new and experienced) who happily claim success, while leaving a path of carnage behind.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:51   #79
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Good to hear some success stories!

I think our forum often misleads newbies along 2 lanes :
1. Buy small and cheap and take your lumps for 2 decades before you dare get a real cruising boat
2. You will perish at sea if your boat does not have 2 inch thick layup, full keel, attached rudder, etc etc

#1 people just tune out because they just want to go cruising now. And many succeed.

#2 Deludes some folks into buying old boats with lots of needed refit/maintenance.
Infinitely more cruising dreams are derailed by endless repairs or refits than by having a poorly built boat break apart in a storm at sea. And most newbies arenít leaving coastal sailing for a while

Most cruising dreams are detailed by partners finding out they are not compatible with each other or living on a boat.

Itís rarely the type of boat ( or itís size )
Old 07-01-2022, 12:00   #80

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It is common for people new to cruising to come to CF and ask for advice on which boat to buy, or ask questions like "which boats are bluewater boats" etc. Just as common is the standard answer, to start with classes, other people's boats, or a smaller boat to gain experience.

Clearly there are many who disregard most of this advice and who purchase 36'+ cruising boats, whether power or sail, and then read a book and take lessons from a delivery captain before setting out on their own.

We hear about some of the disasters.

Are there any success stories?
I suspect there are quite a few success stories. It's the disasters that typically make the news. Riley Whitlum of La Vagabonde fame started out with a 40' Beneteau he bought in the Med with next to no sailing experience or knowledge. I'm sure there are others as well that we don't hear about as they don't bother with social media. With enough due diligence, the finer points of cruising can be learned. At the moment Covid is probably a bigger hinderance than the lack of knowledge when it comes to world cruising.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:17   #81
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I think there is quite a cohort that started with one idea in mind and modified this to do a different form of cruising
Old 07-01-2022, 12:46   #82

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I meet them everywhere we sail. From the Med where we bought our 49' Jeanneau DS, to Tonga, where it's stuck now. They are easy to identify, with odd sailing habits and bathroom downstairs terminology. But they did their homework, asked the right questions, took a few classes and learned from their mistakes. Strength of character and personal resolve keeps them going, and now they're halfway around the world. Still new to sailing, learning tons, but 100x more knowledgable than their counterpart day sailing weekends getting to know the ropes. If you learn to cruise like you learn any new subject, you can avoid the newbie mistakes, and be very successful. The books are plentiful, entertaining and contradict each other. Written by those wordly sailors during multiple circumnavigations, and have the answers we all seek. So the answer is yes, most succeed, some give up, or their partner does, but at least they tried!
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 14:10   #83

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

My wife and I have owned 4 sailboats over a span of 35 years. Loved them all. Each had its strengths and weaknesses. Sailing each boat for several years gave us the opportunity know what we wanted to have as well as what features we already had and wouldnít give up.
We also aged, oh really?, and our needs changed with time. We changed our sailing locations as well. Wouldnít change a thing.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 15:27   #84

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

We have been sailboat owners for 18 days. My wife has no experience and while I have been sailing a little on friends boats the last while, but didnt take a course until this fall when we decided that we wanted to buy one. We bought our boat a few days before xmas down in the states just before record breaking cold snap set in. We spent 3 days learning what we could about the boat, provisioning and checking forecasts. The boat was essentially a barn find, 2013 Jeaneau SO409 with 50 hours on the engine and hadn't left the dock in years. We did have a survey done and everything checked out but with the extreme cold weather, any breakdowns or user error could have catastrophic consequences. We set out what ended up being an 8 day journey back to Canada. We had a few hiccups like when our diesel heater (which had never been used) died in -11ļC weather. Turned out to be a fuse that I fixed. some other issues came up like almost getting demasted by a bridge, multiple days of gale force winds and sub freezing temps and then avoiding covid while desperately seeking testing to get back across the border.

There were so many things against us, all amplified 10 fold by the cold and 12"+ of snow that fell during our trip. We persevered and made it back to Canada, even got the sails up 3 of the days when we were able to de-ice the lines and rigging.

We spent 13 days on the boat, wife and I had a great time and not one squabble. A pod of dolphins guided us back to our home bay. I would say a great success story so far.

Started posting some updates and photos of our journey in this thread

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3544567
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6409 (1).jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	250878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	250879  

Name:	IMG_9469.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	250880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9414.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	250881  

Name:	dolphins.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	250882  
bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 15:32   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew;3546101

[I
"I don't want to take the time to learn and earn my stripes. I'm in the middle of a mid-life crisis NOW. Just tell the sum of what I need to know, that you've learned over the last 30+ years as you paid your dues."[/I]
I just curious, isnít that exactly what CF is here for? I mean if your not here to share what you have learned over the past 30 years so others may benefit from your said experience then why are you here?
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 15:48   #86

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM1968 View Post
I just curious, isnít that exactly what CF is here for? I mean if your not here to share what you have learned over the past 30 years so others may benefit from your said experience then why are you here?
Sharing experiences, insights, shortcuts, tools, etc. YES. Trying to educate someone who's never done any of it and wants to embark on a potentially dangerous event, no.

It's odd that people say "oh go ahead!" here. On gun forums nobody tells a newbie to buy a .45, on racing forums nobody says go buy a Corvette, on travel forums nobody tells a newbie to go to Kisingani.
Old 07-01-2022, 19:53   #87

I think your giving yourself too much credit. Just because some asks a question here premised on the fact that they have no experience in what they are asking about doesnít mean they are going to make their decision to proceed or not based solely on your Ďexpertí advise. What they are truly seeking is just some insight from people who have done or are doing what they are contemplating doing. Ultimately itís their responsibility to determine if they are ready to move forward not yours. I donít care who you are or what your experience is, at some point you knew nothing about the subject. And what better place to start than a place like this where there is a abundant variety of people with experience all in one place.
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 21:28   #88

I delivered a boat last year with the new owner on board. 40ft and short delivery (36 hrs). Didn't know much about sailing before hand and never parked a boat before. I gave him a 3 hour parking lesson the following week. Typical middle aged man didn't want to ask for help or admit what he didn't know. I thought he'd really struggle but a year later he's doing fine.
Made a few mistakes.
If uou're going to head out with little knowledge I'd say prioritise learning how to reef and how to understand the weather forecast.
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 22:00   #89

Boat: 50 Bene

If I had listened to all of the naysayers armchair sailors and owners of those dock queens that never leave the dock we would have never realized the dream. We went all in. First boat I have ever owned a 50í Beneteau with a beautiful Dark Blue hull and cherry interior. If I had a dollar for every time someone either cast doubt on a dark hull or said the upkeep would kill me I could afford to paint it white! Btw I will never own a white boat luv the Corinthian Blue. There is some good info here but what we have realized after owning and cruising (part time) for the last 8 yrs is that most people are full of it. Even folks that we knew and assumed knew what they were doing superbly disappointed us. Read your manuals!!!!!!!!!!!! There is soomuch info there and have lots of spares. Pumps, fuses, belts, bulbs, impellers, and the tools to replace them. Everything else just use common sense period. If it feels wrong in your gut it probably is. And donít forget to have fun. There will be stress but the sunsets make up for it. While. We are not cruising at the moment our boat leaves the slip at least three times a week if not just for a quick sunset sail. Trust me it is all worth it.

Cheers
Old 07-01-2022, 22:35   #90

Boat: Hooper (Farr) 38

I am a very experienced racing sailor but bought my first cruising yacht thinking I new a lot about about boats having been on them for over 50 years. I quickly learnt that I new a lot less than I thought. As someone else said, racing yachts you don't learn much about systems and engineering. What has amazed me however as I get the tender out to our yacht which still hasn't ventured far as I go on the endless tasks of fixing things, is the chats with other boat owners in the bay. Many bought yachts for the first time and ventured out around the world. Zero sailing experience. You ask them how long have they owned their yacht and they casually say 'oh about 16 years. We lived on it for nine..." The advantage of being new to boats is you are not intimidated by knowledge. They all came back successfully. A friend of mine bought his first boat - an Alden 56 Ketch - never sailed before. He is on his way to Greece through cyclones going half way around the world. Completely unfazed. My guess is that he will get there... I steered it one day - it seems to lack a rudder. He loves the boat. He is 71.
gordonhinds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, enc