Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 17:26   #106

Boat: Able 50
Re: Stanley Paris calls it quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Lol

Jersey...old Jersey .
Fear not DOJ, you are not alone. I'm not in Jersey but the savboat is registered in Jersey and I get that stuff all the time. " That's not the New Jersey flag ? " " I got a cousin in Ocean City " etc etc

I have to say " The one in England " because if I say " It's near France " they get even more messed up.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:31   #107

Boat: Junk rig Schooner
Re: Stanley Paris Calls it Quits

Sorry to interrupt the Prius and climate change rants.. but,
bloke fails to circumnavigate on a $3m boat. How come I'm yawning?
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:51   #108

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
My auto enthusiast friends have a habit of giving the finger to anyone driving a Prius, just habit. Most Prius drivers have a chip on their shoulder and think their doing some huge favor for the world. Driving a Prius is more about being noticed and telling others that you listen to NPR. The result is they seem to think that us high HP guys ( muscle car, turbo Audi's, diesel trucks that haul ass) are destroying the planet. Total BS. Next time you see one, tell'em their #1.

Exactly what I think as I'm passed by a Prius at a very inefficient 85mph on I-5 on the way to L.A.

I was behind one on Hyde St. in San Francisco yesterday, the driver had to put on his emergency flashers because the POS Prius couldn't climb the hill at more that 5mph.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 18:21   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
You don't compare a Prius to an SUV. You compare a Prius to a Corolla or Civic.
Lets make sure you count the 35,000 to 50,000 in fed, state and other subsidies in that calculation and the retail cost to replace the battery when it craters. Oh, BTW, did you know that Toyota has NO, NON, NADA way to recycle those rare earth batteries whose materials were transported by ship from the other side of the planet? Presently, they have built warehouses to stash the spent batteries as above ground landfill.

I think of these facts every time I see an ignorant, smiling Prius driver whip past me at 80 and I have to acknowledge my taxes bought his subsidy.

You want to stop the bleeding? Stop ALL subsidies for everything. There is no way a bunch of technical incompetents (lawyers) in Washington should be micromanaging technology. You want a successful alternative example? CAFE established goals. The car companies had to apply a lot of smart people to figure out the best way to reach the goal. There was no subsidy. The present method is for idiots to decide what technology will succeed and pay them. This used to be called graft, corruption and worse.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 18:21   #110

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

So is it confirmed that Paris broke his arm? Is he badly injured? What exactly happened?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 18:34   #111

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I believe you will find that the rare earths were primarily used in the magnets inside the electric motors, not the batteries. The batteries (NiMH) use nickel from a Canadian mine that just happens to sit in the middle of a large dead zone... Transportation is a big part of building the Prius, and of course shipping is still largely powered by bunker fuel and contributes about 10% of global pollution. Green?

If you want to be green then keep your old car and maintain it well. Since half of the lifetime energy consumption is in the manufacture, the longer the car is driven the less the energy/mile over the life of the car. I am still driving my 3rd car, which I bought new in 1985 (29 years ago), and get as good a gas mileage as a new one. Oddly, it is still as nice to be in and drive as it was new.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 18:39   #112

Stanley Paris Calls it Quits

Funny everyone on this forum is talking about their cars. Doesn't anyone own a bicycle? I guess I'm just fortunate enough to have lived in a city where I biked to work, biked to the bar, etc. I plan on bringing my bike with on board when I go cruising.
Old 12-01-2014, 18:47   #113

Many of us have bikes; I have two. The touring bike became too much of a nuisance aboard while cruising, so I bought a folder. That, and being out cruising, had a lot to do with the car's longevity.

Thread drift seems perfectly appropriate to me; can anyone take seriously a $3 million boat as any kind of example for green behavior?

Greg
Old 12-01-2014, 18:55   #114
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Many of us have bikes; I have two. The touring bike became too much of a nuisance aboard while cruising, so I bought a folder. That, and being out cruising, had a lot to do with the car's longevity.

Thread drift seems perfectly appropriate to me; can anyone take seriously a $3 million boat as any kind of example for green behavior?

Greg

Is it actually 3 mill? The last carbon fiber boat I built in that size range cost 12.8 mill, and it didn't have replaceable interiors...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 19:01   #115

I thought I read that earlier in the thread. In any event it is absurd to spend millions on one sailboat to carry one sailor around the world and then claim it is green.

Greg
Old 12-01-2014, 19:04   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> There is now no doubt whatsoever in the scientific community (other than a few politically motivated nutters) that the amount of carbon dioxide we humans are pumping into the atmosphere will have some detrimental effects on global climate, weather etc.

Au contraire, the "scientific consensus" is that increasing carbon dioxide will have a net benefit up to about 2 degrees of additional warming. Only if you accept the model projections of greater than 2 degrees of warming do you start to see "detrimental effects". The whole debate is really about climate sensitivity and the accuracy of the alarmist models - which aren't doing too well at the moment.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 19:06   #117

I want to know why said multi-million dollar boat broke... Paris doesn't describe much in his "blogs"
Old 12-01-2014, 20:03   #118

Boat: Able 50

I'm only guessing because Paris gives so little info, but here goes.

1. The pin holding the inner forestay down might have only been held in place by a split pin and washer.
2. I've never seen a furler break in that place. Under normal circumstances the feeder doesn't carry much of a load so it shouldn't snap off. Maybe he sheeted in hard when the halyard was well eased. That would place a huge load on the feeder.
3. The attachment of the mainsheet to the boom may have been too localized as in attached to a point rather than a bar. On a boat that size the load should be spread along around 6" of the boom. A pair of 2" webbings holding the mainsheet block would work.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 20:17   #119

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Maybe society is expected to lower the bar for achievement if a rich guy attempts something. I mean.. how many days has he been away from a Jacuzzi? Thats hardship right there.
No wait.. that boat has a jacuzzi installed doesnt it....
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 20:32   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
You want to stop the bleeding? Stop ALL subsidies for everything.
I'm with you if you include subsidies, tax breaks and other incentives granted to the fossil-fuel industry. Hell yeah.

Quote:
You want a successful alternative example? CAFE established goals. The car companies had to apply a lot of smart people to figure out the best way to reach the goal. There was no subsidy.
... OK, but in reality, how is a government-mandated standard actually different from a subsidy? It's just picking a different tool to do the same job. Ditto for carbon taxation, or cap and trade.

(and hybrid cars, solar, wind generation... still early days, people. The technology will be improving. Batteries are one big hurdle, but stuff is happening)

Re the OP, I'm in awe of any 77-year-old who can lose sight of land and still be happy.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal