Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 19:10   #181

Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I always figured that when you were in a hole, stop digging.
There's a very short story by Portia Nelson. Your comment reminded me of it.

Chapter 1:
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2:
I walk down the same street.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place.
But, it isn't my fault.
It still takes me a long time to get out.

Chapter 3:
I see it is there.
I still fall in. It's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault. I get out immediately.

Chapter 4:
I walk around it.

Chapter 5:
I walk down another street.
Old 16-01-2015, 20:04   #182

Boat: Niagara Nautilus 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
Looking for help understanding this. Almost cried today when I faxed the signed listing over to the broker. Now I am lost, I don't have any other hobbies or interests. I almost feel like a close friend has died.
THIS, almost made me cry...

Good luck to you my friend, we all feel for you.
Niagara Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 20:19   #183

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Here's a nice song:

Scotty
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 21:22   #184

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

There seems to be no question about how important the boat is, very, very important. The question should be how important is the wife, marriage thing that most men find them self in. I loved women very much throughout my life, I worked very hard to keep a woman in my life. Now that I am getting closer to the end I look back and think why? A wife is a pain in the a88. Marriage is a pain in the a88. Kids are a pain in the a88. Working you tail off supporting this whole wifey/marriage/kid thing is crazy. Men have been hoodwinked into thinking this is the thing, right thing to do. How many times have you ever wanted to be doing things with the guys or your particular guy thing but have been doing wifey/marriage/kid things? Shopping, yard work, soccer practice, church, in-laws, on and on and on. You could be sitting on the boat having a beer with the guys and really enjoying yourself. At age 20 women were so necessary, at 69, not so much. At 20, that shapely winch was worth so much. At 69, they are still very nice to look at, but not worth so much when you realize what comes with them. It takes a lot out of a man to support one of those women. I am constantly amazed at how devious, unscrupulous and manipulative a woman can be to get what she wants. I am in a position where I can stand back and observe this behavior and occasionally kick myself for falling for it all these years. Are they worth it? Most think so. To me? No way, I just wish I had woken up from that spell many years ago. I know this post will tick off a lot of women, and I shouldn't be judging them all, but it is my humble old opinion. OP you asked for advice. Do you really need this whole marriage thing? Would you rather answer only to yourself and enjoy your boat, life? It is your call and your happiness. If you get to keep your boat with her permission, will you really be happy next year with the compromises you will have to make? Get on with life. Once the kids are raised, we have done our part. Be selfish, you don't need her.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 17:41   #185

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I keep telling my wife it's HER boat. Not sure she buying that though. After buying her an autoprop for her boat for Christmas, she told me she was going to buy me a ring?
What would I want with a ring?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Now THAT's funny! She's a keeper
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 21:35   #186

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

My wife wanted a bigger, more comfortable boat, so we bought it. I love it, and most important, so does she. Ntscout, your boat may be just what you want, but is it a boat that your wife might like? I've got a buddy with a great Express 30. It's fast and fun and as uncomfortable as hell. His wife likes to sail on my boat, but won't go on his!

I agree that you have a lot of issues to figure out with your wife. But, since you asked on a boat forum, I've looked at the boat part of the situation. Just saying.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 22:34   #187

I say ,you say ,you said ,for better or for worse.

Right now it's worse for you - so pack your bags we are going sailing.

Professional counseling is probably better advice but its really pretty simple.

How long have you been on land - take turns - now it's time for water - don't let her run your life - I'm betting you have been giving plenty just by the fact that you have asked for advice and put the boat up for sale.

I have not read all the posts so this may have played out already.

I'm old fashion so I believe in the husband should have the final say but even if you don't buy that somebody needs to run the show 50/50 is BS and works about as good as two Captains on a boat - if you want her to be the Captain then that's OK and that will work too.
4music3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 23:21   #188
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hudson 50 and Formossa 51

hard to get a good boat ,,,,,,they still make women tho
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 04:05   #189

Boat: Endeavour Trawlercat 36

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is concerned about you and wondering how you will work this out. I hope you will post again (even if it's months from now) and tell us how you're doing. Good luck to you!
Escape - Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 09:17   #190

Boat: Ericson 27, 1978

Give your boat to me and be 'happy'?! Is the best answer I can give. No fun on the boat without someone to enjoy it with. At least that's what I find. After awhile sailing with a group of guys isn't that great especially because I know I've got a wife that could be with me but she hates the boat! Join the club! They weren't raised on pirates tales and adventure stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Oceanbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 09:30   #191

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Just a shame that after he leaves his wife he will be vilified for 'choosing the boat over her' which we all agree is not that case.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 09:46   #192

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I don't think anyone should be into this.

He has had enough recommendations.

It should be his call.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 10:28   #193

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Man........ you have my sincerest sympathies. My advice would be not to sell the boat and tell your wife you'd like to see a marriage councillor. As others have said, it sounds like the boat it only a very small part of the dilemma. Good luck mate.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 10:45   #194

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
There seems to be no question about how important the boat is, very, very important. The question should be how important is the wife, marriage thing that most men find them self in. I loved women very much throughout my life, I worked very hard to keep a woman in my life. Now that I am getting closer to the end I look back and think why? A wife is a pain in the a88. Marriage is a pain in the a88. Kids are a pain in the a88. Working you tail off supporting this whole wifey/marriage/kid thing is crazy. Men have been hoodwinked into thinking this is the thing, right thing to do. How many times have you ever wanted to be doing things with the guys or your particular guy thing but have been doing wifey/marriage/kid things? Shopping, yard work, soccer practice, church, in-laws, on and on and on. You could be sitting on the boat having a beer with the guys and really enjoying yourself. At age 20 women were so necessary, at 69, not so much. At 20, that shapely winch was worth so much. At 69, they are still very nice to look at, but not worth so much when you realize what comes with them. It takes a lot out of a man to support one of those women. I am constantly amazed at how devious, unscrupulous and manipulative a woman can be to get what she wants. I am in a position where I can stand back and observe this behavior and occasionally kick myself for falling for it all these years. Are they worth it? Most think so. To me? No way, I just wish I had woken up from that spell many years ago. I know this post will tick off a lot of women, and I shouldn't be judging them all, but it is my humble old opinion. OP you asked for advice. Do you really need this whole marriage thing? Would you rather answer only to yourself and enjoy your boat, life? It is your call and your happiness. If you get to keep your boat with her permission, will you really be happy next year with the compromises you will have to make? Get on with life. Once the kids are raised, we have done our part. Be selfish, you don't need her.
Sort of wish I had read this 35 years ago.
Old 20-01-2015, 10:53   #195

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
Sort of wish I had read this 35 years ago.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote