Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 11:12   #316

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
Ok, I stirred up quite a lively debate. I overreacted and made a stupid post. All is well that ends well so this thread needs to come to a close. Love your wife as I do mine and work it out.
It looks like you have the most hits out of any subject here congrats.D
Old 23-08-2015, 21:11   #317

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

I'm impressed with a lot of the comments here in this thread. I'm a female boat-lover, and ironically, experience something quite similar, hence, remaining single with boat.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 15:14   #318

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
I'm impressed with a lot of the comments here in this thread. I'm a female boat-lover, and ironically, experience something quite similar, hence, remaining single with boat.
Maybe a boat owner dating website might be a good solution...

"She with boat" looks for "him without boat".

Or: "He with boat" looks for "her with boat" to give up his own rotten boat. :-)

Or: "She with half built boat" looks for "him with half built boat" to glue both together. :-)

Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 05:46   #319

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

I think there already is a boating dating web site. I think I remember reading about it. Maybe somebody on line here remembers. I thought it was hosted by one of the gals that married somebody on it.
Cheryl
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:23   #320

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

What things do you two have in common? outside of the boat thing is she adventurous at all? or is she a stay at home type... For me, I would reverse the ultimatum and put the decision on her, but thats me, do what you will.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:56   #321

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
I think there already is a boating dating web site. I think I remember reading about it. Maybe somebody on line here remembers. I thought it was hosted by one of the gals that married somebody on it.
Cheryl
Cheryl, you made me curious.... and astonishingly there are some out there:

1. I suppose this one is "out of date" (not a good reference for a dating website). Funny name. POF = PLENTY OF FISH. (some old posts)

2. world map about "Sailing Singles Meetups" (kind of speed dating?)

3. Lovesail.... Dating for Single Sailors

4. Sea Captain Date... single Sea Captains for dating and romance

Funny promotion vid...

5. Boating Passions... dating & social networking site for meeting singles with a passion for boating (part of Passions Network)
----

"Boat Buddies - Sea Fishing" ... seems fishing folks have similar problem and need an own dating platform :-)

I suppose most of these platforms just use the name to hook search crawlers like Google being pop-upped.
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 11:00   #322

Boat: Carver Voyager 33ft.

how long have you been married? it might explain a few things . marriage is a give and take , with many compromises, try and compromise, give her something she wants in return, keep the boat that you also love. Its all about negotiating lol
Beckett4628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 12:04   #323

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
Bless you do hope you find a healing for that cancer.Do as much as you can to eat good organic food .Definitely leave out sugar as cancer feeds on it !!!!

Kreef found the cure for cancer!
Old 25-08-2015, 14:52   #324

I need to read and reread this thread because it gets at the issues of having one's own passions about anything and having a marriage where one shares enormous time and shared wealth and dreams and off spring and so on. Marriage should not mean giving up something that is a part of you.

I think we make the marriage decision / commitment before truly knowing how many issues will play out... assuming they will work out fine.

And a relationship with a boat is clearly nothing like a relationship with another human being with a complex psychology. Boats have needs, provide experiences and learning but they don't have psyches, emotional needs, human needs. People are not boats and boats are not people.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 15:01   #325

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I need to read and reread this thread because it gets at the issues of having one's own passions about anything and having a marriage where one shares enormous time and shared wealth and dreams and off spring and so on. Marriage should not mean giving up something that is a part of you.

I think we make the marriage decision / commitment before truly knowing how many issues will play out... assuming they will work out fine.

And a relationship with a boat is clearly nothing like a relationship with another human being with a complex psychology. Boats have needs, provide experiences and learning but they don't have psyches, emotional needs, human needs. People are not boats and boats are not people.
Maybe you have made the best response to an otherwise BS
thread.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 15:03   #326

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
At least in my case this boat was purchased, improved and maintained with sole and separate funds so i don't have to sell the boat in event of a divorce unless i want to even in a community property state. At 54, I think I am washed up on finding a more rational woman but i could find another boat.
Lets just say you cave in and sell the boat because she wants you to...what will that solve long term?
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 20:56   #327

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Kreef found the cure for cancer!
Well, actually, that is true:

jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:19   #328

I stumbled across this forum and am so thankful. After reading some of these posts I can totally understand how much my husband loved his boat. I knew it but I see it more after reading through your posts.

However, I also saw many family men state - leave the wife if she has a problem with the boat. The boating life is beautiful when shared but it should not consume you. As the wife, I felt second priority to the boat. I don't think the wife in the original post was going to force the boat sale? Maybe she wanted to know that you loved her more than your boat and she was just upset.

Placing the boat on hold and focusing on your family is a great idea - then making her part of the decision to boat together would be a happy one for her. However, leaving her to boat solo all the time - not a good idea.

A little bit about me - Married for over 15years. For about 6 of those we started boating as a family. Husband wanted to get into it and we did and we enjoyed it for the most part. Although it took every penny to keep it. It was on water 3 months out of the year due to the climate we live in.

Husband was hooked and mortgaged a luxury yacht against my will. Recent years money was very tight and he made the ultimate sacrifice. He sold the yacht, took a huge loss and we kept our home, kids etc. He didn't want to and he highly resents me for it like many of the boaters in this forum said. Many problems began after this.

Like many of you said you would do - He left us, his family after this. He couldn't get over the loss of his boat and resented me. He quickly mortgaged a less expensive boat after selling the yacht. I knew boating was his life so I did not touch it in the legal agreement; trying to avoid divorce but he won't reconcile after all this. I let him have the boat. He found a young beautiful girl - 10 years younger to share his passion with him among others that want to sip cocktails and enjoy the boating life.

All I know is a THING should not replace PEOPLE. Please work together to pursue the goal of family and boating. One party should not have all the say as to which boat, marina, route, etc to take. Or basically they have already made it clear in their minds they are the captain and the crew is easily replaceable.

I really pray you work things out with your wife and see things from her perspective too. Love endures all!
tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:13   #329
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Looking for help understanding this. Almost cried today when I faxed the signed listing over to the broker. Now I am lost, I don't have any other hobbies or interests. I almost feel like a close friend has died
be careful making a big change like this. you may not totally understand the consequences yet. it's all about compromise. good luck.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:35   #330

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I think you are absolutely correct, as much as I loved my boats, they cannot replace
the beautiful person who is my wife! A boat is a cold inanimate object, true they take
On a persona but they should never replace the joy of a mate who has shared the
good and the bad things in life!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote