Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 15:15   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: South Florida boaters, $100K reward to find (2) teenage boaters

Good article, Crabcake.

Quote:

Mario Vittone, a marine safety expert who spent 22 years in the Coast Guard as a rescue swimmer and boating accident investigator, understands why.

He said teenagers can spend years on the water and still be emotionally and mentally unprepared to deal with emergency situations. Asked whether teenagers should be allowed to go boating offshore without supervision, he said parents should consider the question very carefully.

“I would rephrase the question,” he told The Post on Monday. “They should ask: Should I send a teenager who has no experience with crisis out into the largest wilderness in the world, completely surrounded on all sides by something that will kill them if they get in it?

“Then the answer becomes obvious: No.”

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 16:06   #17

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
In the news I read...Joe is a neighbor to one of the boys. So he knows the family.

Reminds me of the pro football guys who went out sport fishing a year or two ago and capsized also. Only one of the guys was found clinging to the overturned boat. I believe the other guys with him perished, if my memory hasn't taken a walk again.

I can imagine their parent's dread right now. Chances are slim for their recovery. I will hope for the best.
This happened in the Keys around January or some time when it was really cold, both wind and sea. The guy barely survived on the overturned boat. With relatively warm water and if the boys had life jackets, there might still be a chance. Hoping for the best.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 16:10   #18

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
He said teenagers can spend years on the water and still be emotionally and mentally unprepared to deal with emergency situations. Asked whether teenagers should be allowed to go boating offshore without supervision, he said parents should consider the question very carefully.

“I would rephrase the question,” he told The Post on Monday. “They should ask: Should I send a teenager who has no experience with crisis out into the largest wilderness in the world, completely surrounded on all sides by something that will kill them if they get in it?

“Then the answer becomes obvious: No.”
I know a whole lot of adults who could spend an infinite amount of time on the water and still be mentally and emotionally unprepared to deal with emergency situations. Should we tell them they can't boat either? Accidents happen, and personally I'd bet on those two boys handling it better than 90% of the adults out there.

So I would rephrase the question too. Were those two kids in more danger doing the things most kids do - hanging out at the mall, experimenting with drugs and alcohol, chasing girls and trying to impress their friends, or going fishing?

To me, the answer to this question is obvious. My thoughts and prayers to the families involved. I'm still hoping your boys come home.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:39   #19

Boat: ALBERG 30

No one should judge someones parenting, there are no trial runs. My son was taking my twin engine airplane to the bahamas when he was 16 with his friends, and I received a lot of grief from my friends and church. It was not pleasant for me but I trained him and I knew his capabilities. He also took the 19 ft cobia with 305 chev, into the gulf with his friends at the ripe age of 15.

Yes I worried every time I knew he was gone flying or boating, but they have to be trusted and allowed to make mistakes. I only pray that these two boys surface in good condition.

Parenting ain't easy!!!!
JUNKFLYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 19:21   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

Lets not turn this into Rebel Heart Redux, eh?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 12:59   #21

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Strange coda to this story.
(Also a bit unnerving to see how close the boys' empty boat came to getting rammed and sunk by the freighter -- solo sailors take note!)

Missing Florida teens: Captain says finding boat 'stroke of luck' | www.mypalmbeachpost.com

Captain: Finding missing Florida teens’ boat an amazing ‘stroke of luck’

By Lawrence Mower - Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Updated: 2:56 p.m. Sunday, April 24, 2016 | Posted: 1:55 p.m. Sunday, April 24, 2016
The Norwegian captain who found Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos’ tiny boat bobbing off the coast of Bermuda last month called it an extraordinary coincidence over which he’s still marveling.
In an interview with The Palm Beach Post from Norway, Håvard Melvaer, 40, said the discovery happened while captaining the Edda Fjord, a massive multipurpose supply ship, on its route from Port Fourchon, La., to its home port in Haugesund, Norway.
A week into their voyage, on March 18, Melvaer said he was in his office working on some Excel spreadsheets when his wife came up to see him in the afternoon.
“You look tired,” she said. “Let’s go out for some fresh air.”
The second he stepped out the door, he spotted the 19-foot SeaCraft in the water about 30 to 40 feet off the port side.
+
Håvard Melvaer, captain of the Edda Fjord (Courtesy Håvard Melvaer)

Nobody else in the 16-person crew noticed it. The officer on the bridge was using binoculars to keep lookout, but at that moment was looking off the starboard side, Melvaer said. Had his wife not asked him to step outside, he would have missed it, too.
“We were basically just crossing exactly where it was at the time,” Melvaer said. “It’s just a stroke of luck. There was no skill involved. It just took a pair of eyes looking in that direction at that particular time.”
Melvaer said he’s tried to wrap his head around how unlikely it was.
“You kind of think a little bit and try to understand the concept of how big it really is,” he said. “It’s amazing. We kind of felt like it wanted to be found.”
The discovery, nearly nine months after Austin and Perry left the Jupiter Inlet and never returned, has been called a “miracle” by the U.S. Coast Guard. Coast Guardsmen initially found it floating 67 miles off the coast of Daytona Beach two days after the Tequesta teens disappeared. They attached a data marker buoy to it and continued searching for the boys, but the device failed. When they went to retrieve the boat, it was gone.
The boat is now packed in a shipping container and expected to arrive May 16 at Port Everglades. Its contents — Austin’s iPhone, two fishing rods and two small tackle boxes — have been returned to the families. The phone could offer clues to their disappearance if the family wants to pursue them.
Melvaer said Sunday that after spotting the boat, the crew hoisted it on board to remove it from the shipping lane, a standard practice. The boat was intact and had a serial number on the engine, so he notified the Coast Guard.
In the meantime, he wondered about the boat and its crew.
“I went up to my office and basically Googled ‘missing fisherman,’ I think, and it (Austin and Perry’s story) came up as one of the first ones,” he said.
He had never heard of the boys, but when the Coast Guard confirmed his suspicion and asked him to send photos, Melvaer was stunned. He and the crew felt they had to protect what was now precious cargo, he said, and they made sure it was kept out of harm’s way while on board.
“I’m a parent myself, so I can identify with the situation,” he said. “I’ve been boating since I was a kid as well.
“That goes for all the crew, as well. They had the same reaction. They felt that it was important to get this properly done and try not to do extra damage.”
Since he started training at age 17, he’s only twice run across abandoned vessels in the water — one time the bow of a boat off the coast of India, and a second time a downed helicopter he happened to be searching for.
“It’s not something that happens every day,” he said. “When you’re at sea, things have a tendency to blend in.”
Melvaer declined to discuss particular details about the boat or its contents, citing the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission investigation and concern for the boys’ families. He wouldn’t say whether Austin’s cellphone was in usable condition.
His hope is that the chance discovery might bring some peace to the families.
“Let’s hope that this leads to something good,” he said. “Of course, nothing can ever replace what’s lost. We’re just crossing our fingers and hoping for the best.”
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida