Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Show us your boat card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I like technology that I use. I dislike technology that uses me.
Amen.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03   #47

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
turnover rate for tp is a lot quicker than for boat cards. i dont use boat cards but some have given them to me and those dont get much use. i stow em in plastic baggies but they still get lil bugs and mites inside the baggie...so they dont stay on board anymore.
folks want to get in touch with me know how to make contact
Thinking Maybe Ill get some custom printed tp rolls and give those out. Its something you can use that wont use you as well.
Welcome To Custom Printed Toilet Paper at Pro Paper Products
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20   #48

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I don't do facebook and I don't have a blog. I have a landline.

I know I'm a dinosaur and I'm ok with that. You can tell I'm old because I'm one of those people who will acknowledge your presence.

I did get a cell phone but it's not on unless I'm traveling. E-mail and this forum is something I frequent. It still keeps me on the keyboard way too long.
Old 01-10-2013, 13:28   #49

The one thing I have learned to use (as an older guy) is when I find an Internet signal that my Island style bullet can pull in, is Skype to call my loved ones and friends.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-10-2013, 13:40   #50

Boat: Vd Stadt 34

This is our boat card, professionally printed before we left and the same house style as the blog.
The first mate is a graphic designer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-01 at 21.33.37.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	68075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-01 at 21.33.22.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	68076  

Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 15:00   #51

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

We have a card with the Eagle on it, but we don’t hand them out to very many people as the Eagle is one of a kind and most people tend to remember us. The only cards I keep are for people/services we know/use.

I am not on Facebook, Linkedin and any other internet. Being a live aboard we do not have a permanent land address, phone number, mail address and/or email address.

Why would anybody want to hand out boat cards to strangers?
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 15:33   #52
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post

Why would anybody want to hand out boat cards to strangers?
Indeed. Facebook is one thing, that's easy to control. But mobile number and email address are for heavily vetted people only.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 20:34   #53

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
The one thing I have learned to use (as an older guy) is when I find an Internet signal that my Island style bullet can pull in, is Skype to call my loved ones and friends.
+1 on that! Skype is turning out to be more reliable than our Iridium sat phone!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:57   #54

I've had mixed results with Skype but probably because of the Wifi connection. But it's all that I'll have in Mx unless i by a Mx cell phone.
Old 02-10-2013, 22:12   #55

You don't give cards to strangers, you give them to new friends. Don't compare living aboard in a city with cruising.. Cruisers are meeting new friends regularly and because both parties are on the move you make friends quickly and move on but its not uncommon to run into that same boat/person/couple again in a few months and its always like old home week. Hard to understand if you haven't been there. We still have old cruiser friends that we see and stay in touch with from 20 years ago
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:55   #56

Boat: Spray Replica

We use ours all the time.

In foreign countries it's almost expected when dealing with tradesmen and officials. They seem a lot happier to use email to correspond than to use their limited English skills on the phone so supplying a copy of our email address on the card is easy. Even in third world countries most businesses have internet.

Cruising the Pacific and SE Asia we have met hundreds of fellow Cruisers. Boatcards have been a handy way to stay in touch as it's easy to forget an email address or even someones name especially considering the last time you saw each other may have been years and several countries ago.

I drew the logos for ours in photoshop and formatted the cards in illustrator to provided an eps file to a printer in Malaysia. The total cost was $30 for 400 printed with UV gloss laminate. The lamination means the text and logos are high gloss and the background is matt finish so we can write current telephone numbers and any other relevant info at the time. It's certainly cheaper to have them printed than doing them yourself on board.
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:09   #57

hi Garry and Wendy...Great card. You're very talented that you could draw the logo yourselves and your blog is fantastic!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:55   #58

A lot of nice cards here folks. I think this is a great idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Does everyone hate Facebook or something?
Facebook is "very" invasive. They keep sending friend requests for people that you might have known, or that a friend (on facebook) knows. I don't like the way they keep digging. Who are they anyway? The CIA?
Anyway, I have started to delete my account a few times already when they say; are you sure? By deleting your facebook account all your information and contacts will be lost forever. The more I think about that, the more I think it's a scare tactic.
PS, Someone above posted about how unhinged the world is becoming with all the texting zombies around. I agree.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:07   #59

Boat: Spray Replica

Thanks for the compliment CS.

I used to airbrush before we went cruising. It's a bit hard to do that now so I've had to change to photoshop on the boat. It certainly makes a midnight watch in the cockpit pass real quick.

The conversation about facebook is interesting.

We started using it 3 years ago. When we sailed through Indonesia. It was difficult to update our website due to lack of internet coverage so quick Facebook updates were a lot easier to keep friends updated with our adventures.

Now that we have reliable coverage in Thailand we have the bandwidth and time to update the website.

I think if you don't become a slave to FB it is a usefull tool for us underway.

Garry

Spirit of Sobraon
www.sobraon,com
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 05:14   #60

I cannot believe all of the paranoia about facebook.

All you have to do is to opt out of certain features, And as for FB suggesting friends? click on [NO]. It is that easy.
Facebook does not take over your computer (if that is what you are afraid of)...
Facebook does not make you accept friend requests....
Facebook does not turn you into a zombie......
Facebook did not require anymore info to join than this website....
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote