Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 12:47   #1

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Should wreck owners be held accountable?

Should boat owners have a wreck removal fund/insurance in place?

You might remember this article about a capsized cat in Australian waters.

Quote:
American tourist spends night on overturned catamaran after it capsizes off Queensland coast

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10545316
His cat was recovered, stripped of parts and left dumped on a mainland beach for others to clean up.
To me, that is nothing more than illegal dumping.

From what I gather, a simple vehicle and trailer hire, chainsaw and trip to a dump would have sorted it out.
Meanwhile, he jets back out to Hawaii, not a care in the world and gets another unsuitable boat for round 2?????
He clearly has money, why not clean up your mess before moving onto the next potential disaster

Do we really want an endless stream of crap dumped in the oceans simply because there is crap in the oceans now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_15470655471113391.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	183573   Click image for larger version

Name:	screengrab-20190110-062311~01.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	183574  

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 13:14   #2

Re: Should wreck owners be held accountable?

The cat would be a relatively easy clean up, and he should have done it. But how about a boat sunk in 20m ? Or 100m? 1000m?

AFAIK, in Queensland it is compulsory to have insurance cover for wreck recovery for boats over 15m length.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 13:23   #3

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I absolutely think people, everyone, should be responsible for their messes. Be it a boat, littering on land, anything.

I volunteer and clean up parks after campers, I can tell you the great majority of people don't deserve to be free to walk this planet. Some people are simply careless with their trash, some are down right purposely disgusting excuses for intelligent lifeforms. I want to force people to live in their own waste, because that's what most are asking the people that come behind them to do.

I just wish people would try, just try, to not make a mess of this planet.

If I ever have to lose a boat, I'll do everything in my power to clean it up and make things right.
Old 09-01-2019, 13:31   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

I feel like this falls under illegal dumping and/or littering. Those can be massive fines, and reoccuring if the problem isn't dealt with. The state of Texas would take maximum punishment on something like that. Don't mess with Texas.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 14:38   #5

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I absolutely think people, everyone, should be responsible for their messes. Be it a boat, littering on land, anything.

I volunteer and clean up parks after campers, I can tell you the great majority of people don't deserve to be free to walk this planet. Some people are simply careless with their trash, some are down right purposely disgusting excuses for intelligent lifeforms. I want to force people to live in their own waste, because that's what most are asking the people that come behind them to do.

If I ever have to lose a boat, I'll do everything in my power to clean it up and make things right.
Actually that would not work. Some people are just that bad. We had a rental property and when the tenants moved out w/o notice and I went to the property I was astounded at the filth they not only made but dumped there as well. We had to take a 30 cu yd dumpster and filled it. The roaches were so bad they were scurrying about by the THOUSANDS in broad daylight both inside and OUTSIDE on the ground. I have never seen that before.

We did not allow pets in the lease, but they didn't care. The fleas were so bad I had to de-flea myself before I got back in my car.

It is one thing to be poor, but poor doesn't equate to slovenly.

Oh, and try to kick them out and the government makes it nigh on impossible to do so!!!

Unlike you, I'll be damned if I will clean up after someone else as you do in a park or by the side of the road. More power to you. I have stopped my car and made my kids go back and pick up what they threw out the vehicle. Needless to say, it only happened once.

One of my big peeves is the jerk who comes to a stop light and has to dump his ash tray right there. End of rant.
Old 09-01-2019, 15:33   #6

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post

Unlike you, I'll be damned if I will clean up after someone else as you do in a park or by the side of the road. More power to you. I have stopped my car and made my kids go back and pick up what they threw out the vehicle. Needless to say, it only happened once.
I don't clean up for the people coming to the park, I do it because of the enjoyment I've gotten over the years from the park. It hurts my heart to see garbage on a shoreline.

Spending your free time cleaning up after people makes you hate people, it has me.
Old 09-01-2019, 16:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post

We are in St Martin. Sunk boat everywhere, hardly all of them are from the hurricane. The USA gets a lot of criticism for the Puerto Rico recovery effort but when we were in Salinas in March last year all the sunk and derilict boats had been tagged and removed from the harbor (save one.) There are rusting hulks in Simpson lagoon that have clearly been there for decades.

Island Water World has donated yellow bouys (small) and some local guys has marked the under water wrecks. Thank God. But there are over turner hills protruding inches to feet from the water that are serious navigation problems, especially at night.

I would support some kind of universal fee on boats to cover clean up costs. Sort of like the tax on tires. But that would only work within a specific country.

The other side of the issue is gaining permission to remove the hulks. I’ve been told that it’s not easy. The jurisdiction needs to identify the owner, run him down, pester him to remove the hulk, take him to court to show its abandoned before they gain title and permission to remove. May cost as much in legal fees as in actual direct expense.

What a mess.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 16:38   #8

https://www.gofundme.com/levi-verwoe...C3RZZJ2050cKAo

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:49   #9

Boat: Morgan Out Island 28

We should all be responsible for our boats and if we don't carry insurance so that the boat can be hauled off if not salvagable, then at least we need to save enough funds to take care of our boats when they're ravaged by weather and can't function anymore. It also burns me up when I see folks dump trash from their car windows. Complete disregard for the planet and lack of respect for others who share this magical spinning globe with us.
CMO Tashina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:37   #10

Boat: Leopard 39

This, and environmental clean-ups, are two of many good reasons to carry at least liability-only insurance on your vessel.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:05   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

removing your garbage is part of responsibility for ones own actions.
salvors generally remove the issue, when advised of issue, however many boats are irresponsibly left to fend for selves as hazards to navigation.
this needs to be addressed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:38   #12

Friends,

I do not see a pile of "junk" here. I see salvageable "junque".

I did a similar thing years ago when I took two discarded pontoons from a racing catamaran - joined them with the "?cross-member?, put a dual rudder and sail and jib - and sailed it on Orlando's lakes (among the resident alligators)

When one sees junk, I sometimes see redeemable opportunities, eh? (on pauper's budget)

I did that the same thing with Joel van Sant's old 40'x16' "Jubilee" - ugly/abused/ neglected and abandoned in Titusville, Fl junk boat yard) I coated her with Ferro-Lite and lived-on and sailed the waterways for years (as Joel once had done),

Dennis
ardenlester00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:41   #13

Boat: MacGregor, 1981, M25

If a boat's not registered in Queensland is it still required to have insurance and if so how do they know? Here in the state's the marina's require insurance but if you tie your boat up to your dock it's not required, registered or not.
elcappytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:25   #14

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I am inclined to say first world problem. Even in places down island (PR for starters) those complaining about sunk/abandoned boats are often traveling from first world locations. Not to mention places like Florida where there is a huge split between what I call economically stable boaters and substance boaters. In many areas living on an immobile, uninsured, unregistered, illegal in terms of head, boat is only a step above homelessness. No way those peeps could afford insurance and in many cases if they could they would spend it on drugs or booze.

Not saying I am in favor of this; just that when a lot of peeps live on boats that I would get ill being down wind of them. I spend time in BKH and saw boats on a ball that literally had not moved in years, the main halyard was broken and slapped every time tie wind got above 3-4 knots. Thing is this was one of the good ones. The ones at anchor that could not afford a ball were worse.

Bottom line is there is a lot of trash in the world and not enough money to deal with it.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 13:04   #15

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenlester00 View Post
Friends,

I do not see a pile of "junk" here. I see salvageable "junque".
Like the wrecked car dumped on the side of the road or national park " free to anyone who wants it"
Can I dump it in your front yard?
Can I do the same with an old fridge, broken washing machine or TV?
What if everyone did the same?

This guy advertised it
No one wants it
Like the above examples its nothing more than illegally dumped rubbish in a relatively remote location.(probably part of the reason no one wants it)
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote