Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2021, 15:02   #1

Should I stay or should I go now?

So for those unaware i'm one of those nuts that is selling off everything and going to sail around the world. Current step? The house is nearly sold and i'm planning what the next step should look like.

The question is, do I stay in Spokane, WA and look for a boat online (Which likely means either flying to inspect a potential boat, since i'm not going to buy sight unseen), or go where boats are more likely to be found, (Which means trying to figure out where I am likely to find a boat I want).

Staying means I can continue my existing job, but work for me isn't a high priority, and i'm a high-demand kind of employee.

Perhaps moving someplace nearer to a major airport would be a good in-between choice.

My boat requirements:
  • Monohull
  • Capsize Ratio < 2
  • Comfort Ratio > 30
  • Headroom > 6'
  • Length => 40'
  • Structurally Sound

Most likely the east coast is my best bet, I suppose a foreign boat is not out of the question, but that would complicate my existing plans a ton.

I figured I would see what folks had to say.

Thanks
Lasivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 15:21   #2

Boat: Mason 43 cutter
Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

It seems like your specs fit a Mason 43. If you can't find what you want on the west coast I would suggest Annapolis,MD as a central starting point for an east coast boat searc.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 16:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Depends on how fast you make the move. There might be some deals to be had in Grenada or Trinidad because boats are more or less stuck there and some folks cant get to them. You can fly to Grenada, but Trinidad may well be off limits.

Just a thought. If you can make a move quickly you might take advantage of this current situation.

Sorry if this is a dumb idea for you.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for.../?length=36-45

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 16:50   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Sailing experience?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 17:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Sailing experience?
I'm sorry, I think you should read my post again.
Old 07-03-2021, 17:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Depends on how fast you make the move. There might be some deals to be had in Grenada or Trinidad because boats are more or less stuck there and some folks cant get to them. You can fly to Grenada, but Trinidad may well be off limits.

Just a thought. If you can make a move quickly you might take advantage of this current situation.

Sorry if this is a dumb idea for you.

No, not at all! Much appreciated!
Old 07-03-2021, 18:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

De nada!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 18:31   #8

Hmm.

I bought my boat not very far away, but far enough it wasn’t easy.
A days drive. I found it on line, then went to see it after making an acceptable offer. I arranged survey for when I saw the boat.

Then getting it organized to bring back was a bit of a PIA lot to traveling then finding stuff locally somewhere I was not familiar with.
The boat needed some work, most older boats will, I got some help from broker finding a local yard.

The amount of travel I had to do while getting the boat ready was quite a bit more than I expected.

For me it was within driving distance. Portland. Up and down the I 5 still spent half the weekend driving.

If you are looking at a boat in driving distance, not so bad if you have to fly. It will be pretty awkward at any time. Right now a whole lot more awkward.

Do you know what make of boat you want? It might take a while to find the right boat at the right price. There seams to be a shortage of choice right now.

My suggestion find the boat you want, preferably where you want it. Or not to far from there.
Then sell up, and make your move.

You might find waiting till after all this COVID stuff dies down. Will be a lot easier.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 18:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Hmm.

I bought my boat not very far away, but far enough it wasn’t easy.
A days drive. I found it on line, then went to see it after making an acceptable offer. I arranged survey for when I saw the boat.

Then getting it organized to bring back was a bit of a PIA lot to traveling then finding stuff locally somewhere I was not familiar with.
The boat needed some work, most older boats will, I got some help from broker finding a local yard.

The amount of travel I had to do while getting the boat ready was quite a bit more than I expected.

For me it was within driving distance. Portland. Up and down the I 5 still spent half the weekend driving.

If you are looking at a boat in driving distance, not so bad if you have to fly. It will be pretty awkward at any time. Right now a whole lot more awkward.

Do you know what make of boat you want? It might take a while to find the right boat at the right price. There seams to be a shortage of choice right now.

My suggestion find the boat you want, preferably where you want it. Or not to far from there.
Then sell up, and make your move.

You might find waiting till after all this COVID stuff dies down. Will be a lot easier.
Good points. I can afford to wait until Covid ends, so I might as well. I have a feeling there is likely to be a glut of boats on the market at that time as well.

I suppose i'm in a rush and not feeling any younger, lol.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2021, 22:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Just relating about not being able to buy back into the market if you had to.
Because you don't bother to find out things such as for me there will be no "buying back". I'm "breaking up with America", and have no plans to ever return. It will work or I die, one or the other.
Old 08-03-2021, 00:35   #11

Boat: Najad 373

Looks like you do not need motivational support, and that is good.
Would suggest that you post your asks differently, by asking ‘how do I...’ rather than asking for personal, subjective opinions. Sailors are usually strong-opinionated and live by their convictions so it can rapidly become sterile.
Re your question (which is not about your decision to sell off and buy a boat) on where to buy, my experience had been that a lot needed to be done on my new-to-me boat: learning, fixing, replacing or adding equipment etc. So the closer the boat the better. I was 1.5hr drive away but not possible to stay overnight, so not really handy to do heavy work, so I kept that for the moment I could stay on the boat for multiple days and that’s when things started to take time: lots of things to maintain, renew or add. Never regretted that, the boat was so much easier to handle and I also felt much more confident from the familiarity I gained from that.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 00:47   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

You don't mention your financial situation other than you have a good job you can keep. Assuming its reasonable but not super flush, I'd stick around where you are and keep earning a bit. The amount of time required to find the boat you want might be anywhere between one month and one year. The actual boat might be US West coast, US East coast, Carib, Canada, Malaysia,...... So moving to say the east coast to look might not get you closer to the boat. As soon as you've struck a deal on the boat, give your notice and head off two weeks latter. Just the way I'd do it.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:24   #13

Boat: Volkscruiser

I have read your first post twice now and do not see any mention of your sailing experience? Not that it matters as plenty of my customers have little or no experience before buying a boat. The secret for the most ignorant is to have a delivery skipper hold your hands for a few weeks then start with baby steps......not that it matters much as I have sailed with circumnavigators who I would not lend my yacht.
You need to dial the attitude back a notch. People on here are just trying to help. I certainly can tell you about plenty of people who have realised what a huge mistake they have made diving into the cruising life. The quickest realisation one customer couple I know made was in 7-10 days and they put their yacht back on the market. They fast realized whatever fantasy they had dreamed was not their reality. To put it bluntly Lasivian plenty of boating can be boring, challenging and down right uncomfortable. We all have our limits and I know mine have been tested more than a few times while afloat.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
I'm sorry, I think you should read my post again.
I did read your post. Twice. And then a third time when another post mentioned the same. No mention except a recitation of somewhat dubious design ratios and that you live in Spokane. I guess that means your sailing resume is you have an Amazon account and read books on sailboat design but not sailboats themselves.

If the fire is burning so hot within you that your plan "either succeeds or you die," go to where the boats are. San Francisco, a long days' drive, is one of the world's premier sailing venues. If you can't find a suitable 40-ish footer there, find another book on sailboat design metrics. There's an active sailing scene there so you may even meet like minded people

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:27   #15

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
I'm "breaking up with America", and have no plans to ever return.

Sounds like it’s going to be one of those messy divorces.

Probably best to abandon all contact. I’d go to the boats and get on your way ASAP.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote