Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 17:27   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Shark Stories?

I know we have plenty of divers on CF, and I've read some wimpy-ass shark stories on here today. Who has a real shark story to tell? I've killed several whites and makos with just my knife so don't get me started. Anyone?

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:39   #2

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Shark Stories?

Well, I was attacked by a rock cod once while diving. Does that count? Stopped to adjust my weight belt, steadied myself on a large boulder with my right hand while doing so, then felt something odd on my thumb. Looked up to see a 2 pound cod with my neoprene-clad thumb in its mouth, chewing away for all he was worth. Shoo'ed him away, but needed strong drink to steady my nerves afterwards. Had fish and chips for dinner that night. (Paybacks a bitch.)
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:40   #3

Boat: Orca 38

Lost a friend off Anna Maria Island in Tampa bay. They found him the next day, well his torso anyway. His swim trunk draw string was tied around one of the stumps. His friend that left the party with him to swim to Egmont Key was never found.

I still snorkeled for sand dollars in the same area after that. That is up until 3 weeks later when I came face to snout with a 15' great white from 10 feet away. Never dove there again. Not much of a story I guess, scared the crap outta me.
Old 03-03-2013, 17:42   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We don't kill sharks, cus we don't really care to eat them ! But as far as storys go we did see and meet the shark divers down in Fiji 25 yrs ago or maybe even more ! You know the guys who swim into the nets and let the sharks out of the net !! they say they are kin to the sharks and they don't bother them ! This is a story all through out the Pacific, in lots of different Island groups but this time we saw them work with our own eyes !! It was something for sure ! No way would we have gotten in there with the Tigers we saw them let out of the net !! WOOO! put ***** in my blood for sure !! well thats our shark story
Old 03-03-2013, 18:00   #5

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft

We dived with 34 sharks at once (that I counted) on Osprey Reef in Australia ... mainly reef sharks and a few white tip oceanics. I also saw two large bull sharks once on the GBR. They didn't get too close, thankfully. They didn't seem very interested in me, but I managed to snap a hazy photo of them. Dived with hammerheads in Egypt. Oh, and the Grey Nurse sharks on east coast Oz. Can you tell I love sharks???

Ive never seen a great white, despite hundreds of dives in the Southern Ocean, and would prefer not to except from a cage!

Caitlin
Old 03-03-2013, 18:01   #6

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I saw a hammerhead about 3 miles off Key West in the late 90's. I'm positive it topped 10', maybe 14'. I wasn't in the water, but I sure was thinking about Police Chief Brody's line in the movie, "Jaws", "we are going to need a bigger boat.".

The biggest I have seen while actually IN the water was a 5 or 6 foot bull shark off Key Largo while diving. I didn't see him until he swam almost directly below me. If he had wanted me for lunch, I would have never seen him coming.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:08   #7

One day snorkeling alone in the Bahamas, I had been diving down about 20 ft and trying to spear dinner, After I came up for air once I looked down and there was a Bull Shark rummaging around on the bottom. So I hung there waiting, next thing I know he sees me and starts heading up toward me! He got to about 3 ft away and I tapped him on the nose with the spear.... off he went! I decicded I'd had enough for that day. Something about diving alone...
another time in the Bahamas, A friend and I had about 18 conch to clean so we went about it throwing the unused prtions over. It was getting to be "0 shark 30" in the afternoon. We looked down and there was a huge Hammerhead running back and forth under the boat eating the scraps.... pretty big shark for a harbor with 13 ft of water! Longer than the 10 ft dingy anyway....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:14   #8

Shark Story. Updates daily. How about that run straight to Bermuda? Big White Mary Lee.......
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:17   #9

Boat: Beneteau 473

Nah, even though I've been on many dives over the years where sharks showed up -- my stories are too wimpy.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 19:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
Shark Story. Updates daily. How about that run straight to Bermuda? Big White Mary Lee.......
I think that route to Bermuda is well known among sharks for the easy pickens:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: YOU ARE NEVER REALLY ALONE ON THE OCEAN

Old 03-03-2013, 20:00   #11

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shark Stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
Hey Smart Move: Yours was the wimpy story that started this.

Wimp!

This shark tracking is the coolest thing I've seen in many moons.

In self-defense, I've had to kill some sharks. I have several different dive knives but this Spyderco is my carry knife. I notch the blade each time I kill a large shark, say over 12'.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 20:29   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Clearly yer theme song.

YouTube
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:00   #13

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Hey Smart Move: Yours was the wimpy story that started this.

Wimp!
Just so I am clear, was it wimpy because there were 4 or 5 sharks, or because they got close enough that we could punch them in the nose, or because the punch in the nose made them back off for a bit, or because I was terrified? Just curious.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:11   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Just so I am clear, was it wimpy because there were 4 or 5 sharks, or because they got close enough that we could punch them in the nose, or because the punch in the nose made them back off for a bit, or because I was terrified? Just curious.
Probably because you didn't score 4 or 5 notches on your blade that day LOL.

Your experience would have scared the hell out of me, but then again I am a self proclaimed wimp .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:41   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

In NE Australia shark sightings were common for me - usually just reef sharks, but the occasional Bronze Whaler as well. Each and every one of them would set my heart racing, particularly as I usually couldn't be bothered putting fins on when snorkelling and it made my toes feel oh so vulnerable each time I spotted one.

My best tale was out on the outer Barrier Reef, but does not involve severed limbs. We had anchored on a sandy patch not that far from where a pontoon was located where day tripper boats would come out from one of the islands in the Whitsundays a few times a week. Three blokes worked on the pontoon in 10 day stints. When they invited us for sundowners one night, they were adamant we forget about swimming over and said they would collect us, as "dusk is when we feed the sharks".

We thought that was just a bit of Aussie humour, but sure enough at sunset they started throwing out fish heads, and the water reddened as a frenzy of sharks zoomed in. They could track the path of the fish through the air and were already in place when it hit the water.

The water was just boiling! And this is where hours before a group of shark bait sightseers had been paddling around while on their day trip to the reef!!!! Mind boggling!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote