Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 09:09   #1

Sharing a dock finger

Hi,

I'm not sure how to deal with as the business owner is not getting back to me. I've had my boat @ the same dock for 5 years, no problem. A time share type of boat is now on the dock next to me & the owner of the business put a big ass step right in front of mine & they leave the lines on the dock when they go out.
I asked if they could dock port, or move the step closer, and she hasn't gotten back to me (this has been going on a few months). She did tell me I needed to switch to a starboard docking & I needed to switch the way I dock to be more like her charters.
When this boat goes out, they bring 50 of their best friends (OK, exaggerating here) & when we come in at the same time we're tripping all over each other. If I come in 1st, I have to deal with the mondo step & their lines all over the dock (I don't leave lines on the dock).
Yes, I could dock on the Starboard side & share the finger with the other side. The other option is me moving docks since she won't budge.
Should I just give in and move slips? I feel like she wins & I'm VERY upset over it. Any suggestions?
Heller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:11   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Sharing a dock finger

I suggest speaking to the dockmaster about this.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:22   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Unless you have a written contract do as you were instructed.

Figure out the best way to make this work, quit complaining. I get the feeling that if you cause trouble you’ll be looking for a new dock.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:28   #4

I did, she suggested either me switching my dock side or moving to another open dock. I feel completely bullied into accommodating.
The step and the lines left on the dock are a total safety hazard to us when we dock. I dock slowly enough so people can just step off, but if you're not looking down with the bow line it's easy to trip.
I'm going to check out the other dock today, I just wondered if anyone had suggestions other than me caving. I've tried to reason with her, she doesn't get back to me.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:35   #5

As instructed?? So if a new dock mate comes along they have right of way? Really, the step is HUGE!! It takes up over half of the finger and she won't even push it in.
Sigh, yes, I most likely will switch docks. I asked really nicely twice & she won't give.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:56   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heller View Post
As instructed?? So if a new dock mate comes along they have right of way? Really, the step is HUGE!! It takes up over half of the finger and she won't even push it in.
Sigh, yes, I most likely will switch docks. I asked really nicely twice & she won't give.
How "huge"? How about a photo of step and the dock "issues"?

Also, I'm assuming your marina actually allows commercial enterprises such as this?
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:13   #7

I'll try & get a pick today. The more I think about it, even if she did move the step I'd still have to deal with the dock lines they leave when they go. I clean them up if they're out when I get there, I even help the charters dock when I'm there.
Normally, no. I can't charter my boat or take charters out from there with my newly minted Captain's license. These are more like time share boats she operates, so it must be a different loophole? It's definitely a business she's running out of this really nice marina.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:54   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The step would be my biggest concern if it's wide enough to impede moving safely on the dock. Leaving lines on the dock is a pretty typical thing to do, so I don't think you'd have much luck fighting that. Of course, the lines left behind should be laid on the dock in a way that they're not trip hazards (kept tucked to one side, etc. and not spread across the whole dock).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:08   #9

Yeah, the step's the biggest hazard. They throw the lines on the dock when they go out, then use a boat hook to dock & catch the lines, so yes they're just thrown across the dock wherever they land. If they go out before me, I clean up those lines so it's not a factor when I come in.

I just sent her a note saying I see she did nothing to comply with my request of at least pushing the step in closer & that I'll resolve with harbor master (even if I have to move slips). I said until then, if we dock & trip over their lines or step she's going to have a bigger problem on her hands then just stonewalling me for a safer resolution.

I hate conflict!!
Old 04-12-2021, 11:28   #10

I think I misread your post. “Business owner” does not own the dock, only rents a dock, like you do- correct? If so go talk to the marina manager.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heller View Post
1. (I don't leave lines on the dock)............

2. Yes, I could dock on the Starboard side & share the finger with the other side. ........................

3. Should I just give in and move slips?

4. I feel like she wins & I'm VERY upset over it. Any suggestions?

1. You should try it some time.
Quote:
They throw the lines on the dock when they go out, then use a boat hook to dock & catch the lines...
It is much easier.

2 & 3 Doesn't 2 already answer 3? Why move slips? Is there some kind of "challenge" physically to simply getting off the other side of YOUR boat?

4. Why a zero sum game? Why is this upsetting you? 'Cuz you're not getting YOUR way?

Look, I lived for decades in California on docks with cleats & fingers on both sides. Convenient, easy to dock and pick up four lines with my boat hook, never had to get off the boat to dock at my home slip.
Now in BC I have a single side slip/finger with bull rails!!!, with a close neighbor. I raised my fenders to my gunwhales for mutual protection on that side, for both of us. But I still leave my bow & stern breast lines on the dock, take my spring line with me easily because it simply tucks inside the overhanging end of the bull rail (almost like a one ended cleat). I simply do not get off my boat to dock at my own slip.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 13:27   #12

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

If it were me, I would send a registered letter to the dock master. I would explain that I worked with the business owner, which was also a tenant at the dock, as are you but no resolution was forthcoming. I would state that in your opinion, placing a set of steps on the dock the size that was placed, as well as leaving lock lines arbitrarily scattered on the dock instead of being neatly placed out of the way, or coiled up, created an unsafe condition which had the potential of leading or contributing to serious injury, or loss of life. Ask that the dock master step in to request that the business owner replace the large steps with smaller ones that presented less of a safety hazard, and that they either remove their dock lines, or take care to coil them up and keep them out of the walkway.
Having said that, you need to be prepared to be asked to leave the marina due to YOUR being perceived as being a problem.
Best of luck in whatever you do, and please keep us advised regarding progress, or lack thereof . . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 16:56   #13

I went today to check out a new slip and the woman FINALLY got back to me!! She had called the harbor master as well and said she'd put the steps port side.
I'm glad I don't have to give notice & move docks. As for ME being the problem, I've been there 5 years w/ no requests or complaints ever. My rent is auto, I never cause a peep. I had asked when they moved the boat in about 4 mos ago, no reply. Asked again about a month ago when there were a bunch of us on the dock @ the same time, no reply.
If that step didn't take up 3/4 of the finger & is about a foot in front of mine, there'd be no complaints whatsoever.
Probably just the fact I'm complaining on here makes some of you think I'm a complainer...I'm really not, I just was asking what I should even do besides tripping over the thing when no one gets back to me about it.
If it were me, I would have seen what a hazard it was right away & had the clients dock port with more room.
It sounds resolved though, so it's not going to cost me.
Old 04-12-2021, 16:59   #14

Good hear of your success. All the best, Happy Holidays.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 17:11   #15

I’m surprised the step didn’t fall off the dock.

Tags
dock