Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 19:21   #1

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Serious backlog for USCG Vessel Documentation

Closed on a boat in FL on May 6th. It was already documented. Filed the paperwork to change documentation into my name on the same day. Paperwork was not entered into the USCG system until May 26th. As of today, nothing has been done. Website shows paperwork has been filed, but no other information. I have had no correspondence nor do I have any proof of documentation. Makes one wonder if anyone is home.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 19:48   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Serious backlog for USCG Vessel Documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Closed on a boat in FL on May 6th. It was already documented. Filed the paperwork to change documentation into my name on the same day. Paperwork was not entered into the USCG system until May 26th. As of today, nothing has been done. Website shows paperwork has been filed, but no other information. I have had no correspondence nor do I have any proof of documentation. Makes one wonder if anyone is home.
Expect months. This has been normal for many years now.

TEMPORARY CERTIFICATES OF DOCUMENTATION
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 21:07   #3

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Thanks. I didn't know about this Temporary Documentation. However, it has been two months and I haven't received a temporary documentation letter. I guess I need to call.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 21:17   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Got mine for a boat I just purchased in Mexico in 10 days. Just paid the expedite fee....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:42   #5

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Part of the delay may be seasonal variation. Lots of boats are sold in the spring, takes longer to process. When I bought my boat, we closed on it in November, documentation came in March.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:55   #6

I recently filed Feb 28th and got it in May.
Old 27-07-2017, 09:02   #7

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't know about this Temporary Documentation. However, it has been two months and I haven't received a temporary documentation letter. I guess I need to call.
Yes, I would call them. I have always found them to be very courteous and helpful when I've called with a problem.
It's been nine years since I bought my boat. It was previously documented and I don't remember it taking more than a month for me to get my new documentation.
I just renewed my documentation and I came back into weeks.

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:25   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

I went through the same thing a year ago. I forgot to add the new homeport to the paper work. My bad. Anyway they sent the rejection to the previous owner's address in Texas.
O.K. except he had moved to Florida. By the time he received the paper work and called me another month had passed. I called the National Vessel Registration Center and spoke to the woman who handles the paper work and told her the new home port. No problem. She was very helpful and took care of it on the phone. Only problem was they switched two numbers in my address and the Fed Ex delivery guy spent most of the morning trying to find a non existent address. These things happen and you just have to deal with it.
Reminds me of the movie "The Lady Killers" The general said "Must Float Like A Leaf On The River Of Life"
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:53   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
office in western virginia was on my way to daughters house so did it in person.. half hour and outta there
Old 27-07-2017, 10:13   #10

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Got mine for a boat I just purchased in Mexico in 10 days. Just paid the expedite fee....
The web site makes no mention of an expedited service, and the fee schedule shows no fee for expedited service. Is this a state secret that you need a higher security level to see?
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 10:17   #11

Lots of confusion here...

http://cgmix.uscg.mil/VDS/SearchAndReturn

If I enter my HIN, I get no results found. But I enter the documentation number, it find the record and shows my HIN in "manufacturer hull number" field.

Aren't those the same, and is this a case where some number wasn't entered into the right field?
Old 27-07-2017, 10:21   #12

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/1ac46d8

This seems to indicate that exchanges received on May 6th are being processed now if I interpret correctly.

Funny (alarming?) But depending where I click on a link, I find a similar document that shows a date in early April.
Old 27-07-2017, 10:29   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

We're going through this with our new boat right now. We were told by the dealer to expect 4 months to get our documentation, which is just crazy. As an aside, that also means waiting 4 months to get an MMSI. I've been told there's a way around that problem, but no one seems to be able to then tell me what it is.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 10:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Expect months. This has been normal for many years now.

TEMPORARY CERTIFICATES OF DOCUMENTATION
Wow...

So basically if you bought a boat back in May (we did) and filed to exchange the COD (we did) you're not likely gonna get your exchanged COD 'til September - and thus - can't legally operate your vessel ($10,000 dollar fine if I read that correctly) BUT, starting July 8th they're gonna start sending out temporary certificates of documentation????

Just curious if they have to do a certain amount of work to even issue the temporary certificates (check citizenship, etc) - isn't that going to mean even more delay and backlog as they handle every application twice?

Maybe I'll get my temporary paperwork by mid-August. So... I guess I can only sit at the dock drinking Dark & Stormys for another 3 weeks if all goes well?
Old 27-07-2017, 10:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
We're going through this with our new boat right now. We were told by the deal to expect 4 months to get our documentation, which is just crazy. As an aside, that also means waiting 4 months to get an MMSI. I've been told there's a way around that problem, but no one seems to be able to then tell me what it is.
Oh swell...

I checked the MMSI page and it says an existing one can be transferred, but guessing you still need a current COD to do that?

Our "new to us" boat has a DSC radio, but don't know if the PO ever established an MMSI - not in any if the paperwork I received.

Guess I'll dig through the radio docs to see how to find it.

Tags
documentation, men