Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2022, 09:38   #1

Sampson boat Co. Covers splash of the Western flyer

I just finished watching the latest tally ho, where they covered the splash of the Western Flyer.

Some of the comments were about the Western Flyer's YouTube channel and how they had to stop watching it, one noting it as, "a hard sell". Some were glad for the update, since the channel stopped posting a while back.

Has anyone followed the Western Flyer's channel, and could you comment on why people would say this? I'm curious to know, but not enough to binge watch the channel.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 15:44   #2

Re: Sampson boat Co. Covers splash of the Western flyer

Western Flyer? As in "The Log from the Sea of Cortez" / Steinbeck's book???
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 16:25   #3

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Western Flyer? As in "The Log from the Sea of Cortez" / Steinbeck's book???
That's the one.

Old 02-07-2022, 16:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Wow, I read that book in high school - brings back many memories. I would have never thought the boat was still floating around based on how old I am. lol
Old 03-07-2022, 04:31   #5

Quote:
Wow, I read that book in high school - brings back many memories. I would have never thought the boat was still floating around based on how old I am. lol
The restoration came out beautiful from the video. I'd never heard about the book, but "enjoyed" some of his depressing books. I may put this log on my reading list.

I guess we don't have many YouTube watchers on the forum. Probably just as well, rots my brain.

- AT
Old 03-07-2022, 06:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
I guess we don't have many YouTube watchers on the forum. Probably just as well, rots my brain.

- AT

Youtube is great if you need help fixing or dismantling something. Other than that, my exposure was tainted by a bunch of e-beggars and people making inaccurate uneducated "reviews" of boats they have never even sailed on.

For me, it's best to stay away unless there is a specific need.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:27   #7

Boat: 1967 Mariner 40

I watced every episode of the Western Flyer that I coud find and for the life of me I do not have the slightest idea of how any type of "hard sell" could be implied. Hard sell for what? Years ago we motored through the cut going past La Connor on our way to Anacortes and went past the Flyer 3/4 sunk at her dock next to the Twin Bridges at the north end of the cut. Took some pictures. Didn't know who she was but sad to see. I later saw her in the yard in Port Townsend and just a complete mess and still didnt know who she was untill I came acfross the Youtube show. If you enjoy anytype of boat wood working and restoration the craftsman ship will blow you away. Lot of history along with the work is shown also. Lot of the Tubers are asking for patrons to help support their work. Don't think I saw this once with the Flyer. Let me know if you get any hard sell.
Larry T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:37   #8

Thanks for the reply. I may scrub through a few episodes at some point. The montage Leo put together looked like some lovely building.

I believe the hard sell had nothing to do with money, or "e begging". More some kind of philosophy, possibly of Steinbeck's?

- AT
Old 04-07-2022, 03:48   #9

Quote:
I believe the hard sell had nothing to do with money, or "e begging". More some kind of philosophy, possibly of Steinbeck's?

- AT

That sounds possible. It's my understanding that Steinbeck had a very strong moral compass and if these people spent a huge amount of time and money to create a museum piece using his past and name, he absolutely would have been pissed off about that. He was more about the greater good and doing what you can to help using everything at your disposal.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:16   #10

Thank you for sharing this.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 13:22   #11

Quote:
That sounds possible. It's my understanding that Steinbeck had a very strong moral compass and if these people spent a huge amount of time and money to create a museum piece using his past and name, he absolutely would have been pissed off about that. He was more about the greater good and doing what you can to help using everything at your disposal.
It's interesting that you point that out, the man who founded the foundation that restored the boat (owner of the boat I think also) said both Steinbeck and the biologist would be kinda WTF about the whole thing. That they were forward looking people, stuff like that. So rather than making it a museum piece, it's supposed to be a research vessel. Fill a niche between center consoles and giant steel ships. He made it sound like that size ship wasn't common among research ships...

- AT
Old 04-07-2022, 13:24   #12

Quote:
It's interesting that you point that out, the man who founded the foundation that restored the boat (owner of the boat I think also) said both Steinbeck and the biologist would be kinda WTF about the whole thing. That they were forward looking people, stuff like that. So rather than making it a museum piece, it's supposed to be a research vessel. Fill a niche between center consoles and giant steel ships. He made it sound like that size ship wasn't common among research ships...

- AT
Well then, if that's the case, I would love to know what the naysayers are about.
Old 04-07-2022, 14:16   #13

Boat: EDELCAT33

I like the Townsend co op has provided opportunity for people to hone their skills at restoration. In our throw away society, I think is good this project was taken and completed. I like the research vessel spin on the use of the boat - goes nicely with its original mission.
As for people begging for money to fund the rebuilt, I say is just part of new ways to securing funding - just like many YouTube channels, Tick-tock, etc. Would be nicer if the state would fund this, but those days are gone.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
I like the Townsend co op has provided opportunity for people to hone their skills at restoration. In our throw away society, I think is good this project was taken and completed. I like the research vessel spin on the use of the boat - goes nicely with its original mission.
As for people begging for money to fund the rebuilt, I say is just part of new ways to securing funding - just like many YouTube channels, Tick-tock, etc. Would be nicer if the state would fund this, but those days are gone.
I always like to see new life in old stuff. I tend to think the footprint of endlessly rebuilding something is less than just the build of a new something.

I don't really mind the entertainment culture at this second. I get to watch a lot of niche programs that I'm actually interested in (I watch mostly yootoobs vs. programs on say Netflix or Hulu). Some people with monies get to help them out, and I get to enjoy it for free. Small content creators get a voice and I don't have to subject myself to least common denominator drivel.

- AT

Tags
boat