Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 14:56   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Sale of 'Latitudes and Attitudes' Magazine

In general, the sailing community is known by their lowest common denominator. I don't think we listen to opera at a yacht club and I sure as hell hope most of us don't lie in pig pens swelling cheap beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	830px-Gibbs1stAppear.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	34481  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 14:56   #32

Boat: Hermann Lazyjack 32 schooner

I subscribe to just about all the magazines - L&A, Cruising World, Sail, Sailing, Good Old Boat, Small Craft Advisor, Wooden Boat - and I generally find some things in each that I read, and some that I don't. L&A usually had some interesting articles and some swash, some good reader-submitted photos, and some stuff for sale that I generally didn't find anywhere else. So it had its uses, enough to keep me as a subscriber for several years.

The way I see it, Bob Bitchin projected the persona of being a rebel biker/pirate, and to a degree I think he is (I've only met him once, years ago at the Oakland sail show). But I also suspect that no one has two successful magazines (Easy Rider and L&A) over the years, without being a fairly astute businessman and, as has been said above, knowing what sells to your target audience.

Here's a guy that has really cruised the world (interesting to contrast that with another thread running here that lambasts folks who own boats but don't leave the dock with them), and figured out a way to make money off it, first writing/editing his magazine and now selling it, one supposes for something of a profit. How many of us wouldn't take the opportunity to make some money off our sailing experience if we could?
MikeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 15:03   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalCowboy View Post
Man, I have not heard this much back biting since highschool. Hope the haters enjoy their pricey wines while listening to opera at the members only yacht club. I'll drink my Mexican beer in the low rent district while listening to Margaritaville thank you very much. I for one will miss Bob.
Back biting? This is critical discourse.

I, for one, am encouraged that forum members have such a keen ability to discern between good and bad writing.

I belong to two yacht clubs, by the way, and not only have I never heard opera in either club, but I can assure you that Mexican beer is served in each club right along with the pricey wines.
Old 06-12-2011, 15:05   #34

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Maybe the new owners will pay contributors for articles for a change.
Old 06-12-2011, 16:36   #35

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'

Funny I have both Lats & Atts and ShowBoats International on the coffee table at home at the moment. Kind of the two polar extremes. I may sip Chardonnay on the aft deck and listen to Eric Satie on the piano at the yacht club, and yes our life preservers are custom-lettered to the boat, and yes we have a Royal Navy crest on the stern, and you might even catch me in a double breasted navy blue blazer with gold buttons once in a while, but I'd still rather browse through Lats & Atts than a glossy magazine of boats I will never be able to afford, looking at incredibly slick and sleek megayachts and Rolex advertisements that make my eyes glaze over after about five minutes. Yeah L&A is crude and sloppy and a little adolescent, but I guess I'd rather be trapped on a desert island with Gilligan than Thurston Howell III.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 17:19   #36

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

The best thing was his "Share the Sail" parties. He will probably continue doing that. After all, he invites a bunch of people to party in some exotic location, has them pay for the priviledge, and then had another article for the magazine, complete with pictures of a good time crowd.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 17:26   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I like their blue collar approach to things. I also like the snooty boating magazines with their precise grammar and women in one piece swim suits.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 17:43   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Yeah L & A is not a finished sell out product like some magazines out there. I enjoy the real cruiser stories and not paid writers and hidden advert agendas. Yes they have a lot of advert but I think the articles stand alone and are not connected. I did not know he was the Easy Rider owner too. Even better! Also they published my amateurish story which was kinda kewl I hope it stays un-polished as I like it...
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 17:50   #39

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Bob didn't do Easyriders, He did "Bike" or "Hot Bike" magazine. Can't remember which. Easyriders was a different group.
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 18:42   #40

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34 View Post
Bob didn't do Easyriders, He did "Bike" or "Hot Bike" magazine. Can't remember which. Easyriders was a different group.
My understanding was earyrider was where he got his start writing and then he started his own rag, "Hot Bike"...
Met him over 30 years ago on the Redwood Run up out of Garberville..
He does have a history, no matter where it started........
for those that dont know, the "Redwood Run" is a party in the trees attended by a few thousand harley riders in Northern California.
Was talking to bob a few years ago, actually we were sharing a bottle of rum over a table at two harbors durring the Lats and Atts Party..
As the name dropping started , we realized that there are a hell of a lot of old bikers who gave up their rides and started sailing..
Got to be the wind in your face thing......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 19:04   #41

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Bob wrote for Easy Riders. When I hung around the same places he did, he was a defacto editor for Easy Riders. I always liked Bob and his attitude back in the bad ole days. I like Latitudes and Attitudes too.

As for all you detractors, NO RAISIN PIE FOR YOU.

See who gets that
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 19:05   #42

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34 View Post

Nope...Bob Bitchin did sleezy rider featuring "Miraculous Mother"...good grief!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 19:05   #43

Oh I forgot, I like women in bikinis.
Old 06-12-2011, 19:14   #44

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalCowboy View Post
Man, I have not heard this much back biting since highschool. Hope the haters enjoy their pricey wines while listening to opera at the members only yacht club. I'll drink my Mexican beer in the low rent district while listening to Margaritaville thank you very much. I for one will miss Bob.
It's not about the man, whom I don't know. It's about his poorly assembled magazine of limited interest to aging alkies and faux boat rebels with one hand for the tiller and another for their tiller. Fair enough. Coconut rum for some.

I make my own beer, and read Practical Sailor. There may be nude women on my foredeck, but I sure as hell don't use them to push product.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 19:17   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
There may be nude women on my foredeck, but I sure as hell don't use them to push product.
Yeah really no reputable company would ever use sex to push their product.

Tags
sale