Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2011, 11:20   #91

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Sale of 'Latitudes and Attitudes' Magazine

I fall on the side of liking the mag very much. In fact I like every sailing mag very much and I get them all. The thing I like about them is they are not like sail or cruising world which I also like. I find the mag to be fun and entertaining and would miss it if it were gone.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 04:51   #92

Boat: Hunter 23.5, AMF Sunbird & 36' Prairie Trawler

I like L&A. Like people say, it's down to earth and Bob and Jody are really nice folks. I think the majority of folks like them and their magazine and those that don't aren't vehement haters. Seems like a great legacy to me.

Kevin
Tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 14:46   #93

pirate Re: Sale of 'Latitudes and Attitudes' Magazine

Thanks for the honest input. Jody and I started Lats&Atts as a newsletter just for our friends. Folks liked it and we took it the next step. The whole magazine is written by sailors and cruisers who are out there. The only "staff" is me, my editor Sue, who has lived aboard for over 30 years on a Cheoy Lee 35 yawl, and Captain Woody. Those who don't care for the stories may not enjoy cruising as a lifestyle. Because the stories are all from cruisers. The TV show? Hell, it was fun doing it. So has the magazine been fun. Women on the covers? you bet! I love women. Women are on the cover of ladies magazines (Cosmo/Elle, etc.) and women are on mens magazines (Sports Illustrated, GQ, etc). Women sell magazines. By the way, the Feb issue (My last at the reins!) will have an ugly tattooed fat man on the cover (that'd be me!) so folks will know I sold it.
But don't worry. Those of you who like the magazine, I will still be doing it, for at least 3 more years. BUT I will have more time to get out and sail. I don't have to run the business end any more.
I have been in the publishing business for over 40 years, and one thing I know. You cannot please all the people all the time. I expect it. In thise years I have created just three magazines, all of which I had a passion for. BIKER, TATTOO and Latitudes & Attitudes. I could no more do a women's Tennis magazine than I could eat a Volkswagen (some folks think I could!!)
To quote a famous sailor, "I'yam what I'yam and that's all what I'yam!"
Those of you who like Lats&Atts will get it. And the others? Well, maybe not!

Don't dream your life, live your dream!
Bob Bitchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 15:02   #94
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Nice!! Good to see ya here Bob...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 15:27   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bitchin View Post
Thanks for the honest input........................
Kewl and Klassy! Can't say the same for some others
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 15:44   #96

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Welcome to Cruiser's Forum, Bob!
Old 17-12-2011, 21:13   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bitchin
Thanks for the honest input. Jody and I started Lats&Atts as a newsletter just for our friends. Folks liked it and we took it the next step. The whole magazine is written by sailors and cruisers who are out there. The only "staff" is me, my editor Sue, who has lived aboard for over 30 years on a Cheoy Lee 35 yawl, and Captain Woody. Those who don't care for the stories may not enjoy cruising as a lifestyle. Because the stories are all from cruisers. The TV show? Hell, it was fun doing it. So has the magazine been fun. Women on the covers? you bet! I love women. Women are on the cover of ladies magazines (Cosmo/Elle, etc.) and women are on mens magazines (Sports Illustrated, GQ, etc). Women sell magazines. By the way, the Feb issue (My last at the reins!) will have an ugly tattooed fat man on the cover (that'd be me!) so folks will know I sold it.
But don't worry. Those of you who like the magazine, I will still be doing it, for at least 3 more years. BUT I will have more time to get out and sail. I don't have to run the business end any more.
I have been in the publishing business for over 40 years, and one thing I know. You cannot please all the people all the time. I expect it. In thise years I have created just three magazines, all of which I had a passion for. BIKER, TATTOO and Latitudes & Attitudes. I could no more do a women's Tennis magazine than I could eat a Volkswagen (some folks think I could!!)
To quote a famous sailor, "I'yam what I'yam and that's all what I'yam!"
Those of you who like Lats&Atts will get it. And the others? Well, maybe not!

We enjoy the magazine and Cruiser's Weekends and want to thank you for all your work. I am understanding you will be cruising and still be working the shows and parties? Sure sounds like a great career move to me! You deserve it!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 21:29   #98

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

Ahoy Bob,
Negative comments are only the highest form of flattery, and come from those who are most jealous, wishing they had come up with the idea.
After only about 100 issues, I am only partially brainwashed.
Your editorials have to someday say how much satisfaction you have enjoyed on your voyaging lifestyle and all the people you have encouraged, who have fed you back their stories and pictures, and those great parties.
Party on,
Capn Andy
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:49   #99

Glad to hear from u to Bob. U "ruined my life back in 2004" :-) @ I can't thank u enough. Been reading ur mag since issue # 1. Even bought 'Other People's Paradise' tape and drove my poor wife crazy!!! But we are out here now and living it. Thanks again. Now go enjoy some sailing-- u earned it.
Dual Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 09:39   #100

Thanks. It's been a fun ride and it isn't over yet. Part of my "deal" is to keep doing the fun stuff. Got the new company convinced they talked me into it. Ha! The boat shows are the most fun part of what we do. Also I will keep doing the editorials, but I have to admit, they are getting harder. Over 130 so far.. but as the old indian chief once said... "I shall endeavour to preserver" Oh, yeah, and I "have to" keep sailing and stuff. Darn the luck!
Bob Bitchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 10:30   #101

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Anyone with a name like "Bob Bitchin" has got to be a kewl guy - even if he don't ride a Harley anymore!
May the wind blow butterflies up your skirt!
Adios amigo!!
P.S. - Bottom line - most FUN mag out there.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 11:48   #102

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"

I look forward to the new issues each month. My wife likes to go to the bookstore fairly often so I never subscribed because I wouldn't have anything to read/buy when we get there. I'll bet I have every issue from the last 3 years and I always hate when a two-month issue comes out like November/December. I have probably paid three times the subsciption price. My favorite sailing magazines are in this order:

Latitudes and Attitudes
Good Old Boat
Cruising World
Sail

I have never read a Latitude 38 because they do not have them at the bookstores in my area.
I sure hope L & A doesn't change.
TFrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 13:05   #103

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bitchin View Post
Thanks. It's been a fun ride and it isn't over yet. Part of my "deal" is to keep doing the fun stuff. Got the new company convinced they talked me into it. Ha! The boat shows are the most fun part of what we do. Also I will keep doing the editorials, but I have to admit, they are getting harder. Over 130 so far.. but as the old indian chief once said... "I shall endeavour to preserver" Oh, yeah, and I "have to" keep sailing and stuff. Darn the luck!
Welcome to the forum, Bob, and for your level headed (expected from any real sailor) response.

You, together with a few designers of salty boats that capture the romance of sail and mystique of far away places... Garden, Perry, Hardin, have done more to ignite the dreams of wage slaves and support their voyage to freedom than most.
It's a hell of a legacy.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 22:19   #104

Boat: 1976 Ranger 28

I love L&A, but I also don't mind seeing women in bikinis I feel like its about enjoying life, sailing,& just having a good time. I have to admit that if Im in the mood for good literature magazines (all of them) are the last place i'd look. I do however blame L&A for making me realize that I could actually do it rather than just dreaming about it. I do wish it was aimed at a younger demographic with boats closer to what I could actually afford. But I never tire of looking at formosas or bikini clad women on islands in the south pacific or standing on bowsprits for that matter but that's just my opinion.
ps. i like good old boat and cruising world but before i bought my boat i wasn't very inspired by articles about how to rebuild the head (as useful as that information is now that i do own a boat)
jSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 18:59   #105

Boat: 60 Gulfstar

For those complaining about the writing and content please remember that Bob learned his trade publishing an biker mag and a tattoo rag.
A full sentence is/was not his focus.

In one way or another he managed to stay in the wind
Rhinochaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale