Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 20:06   #46

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Re: Sale of 'Latitudes and Attitudes' Magazine

If I sound elitist, its because I am. Nothing wrong with trying to be the best.
Seriously, the magazine has a niche. Part of the charm is the ineptitude. The lack of proofreading, the disorganization. If you are going to have bikini clad ladies on the cover, at least have decent looking ones!
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 20:30   #47

Man, you all just don't get it. Or at least some of you don't. I guess those who can't get the charm of Lats & Atts just forgot all about the dream once it became reality. But for those of us who, for whatever reasons, can't cut the docklines yet Latts & Atts, Margaritaville and pirates flags are part of what fuels the dreams. When it's ten degrees here, with snow and ice, I'm nine hours from the nearest coastline and I'm helping my mother bathe my father, it's Margaritaville on the stereo, Bob Bitchin's mag and the pirate sticker on the mirror that help me remember that cutting the docklines one day is a PLAN not a dream. So try to remember what it was that fueled your dreams, and quit pissin' on other people's just cause they ain't yours.
CoastalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 22:21   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Not usually into the whole glossy bikini mag thing, but I did appreciate that they never used models for their covers, just ladies who were in some way related to the cruising set. Lot's of pretty ladies in bikinis, but also just some regular gals young and old. I got the impression that lots of their covers are pics sent in by readers.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 22:52   #49

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalCowboy View Post
Man, you all just don't get it. Or at least some of you don't. I guess those who can't get the charm of Lats & Atts just forgot all about the dream once it became reality. But for those of us who, for whatever reasons, can't cut the docklines yet Latts & Atts, Margaritaville and pirates flags are part of what fuels the dreams. When it's ten degrees here, with snow and ice, I'm nine hours from the nearest coastline and I'm helping my mother bathe my father, it's Margaritaville on the stereo, Bob Bitchin's mag and the pirate sticker on the mirror that help me remember that cutting the docklines one day is a PLAN not a dream. So try to remember what it was that fueled your dreams, and quit pissin' on other people's just cause they ain't yours.
I fully agree sence we have not cut our dock lines yet.

My wife and I met Bob and Jody along with Steve and Shelly a couple of years ago on one of the shair the sails in the San Juan Islands where we crused in our boat with them for a week. It always supprised me to hear Bob talking like he wrights ( very well ). I know the video folks who make the TV shows great team who sailed with us too. Later that Oct we bought our catamaran and was in the neighborhood so I sailed from San Diago to Catalina Island for the big crusers party, it was really different than the PNW party that had lots of pirates and pirate flags but the California folks only had great food no mention of fun pirates , I got in 3 pic's and our boat got in 3 pic's from last years party, what a maden voyge.
I usually get a couple of sailing mag's and have a subscription to Latt and Att's and as far as I know it Bob will still be wrighting some of the articals, and I'll be looking foward to the new issues like the one that came today. So back to reading my new Latt's & Att's and laughing at the cartunes.
Old 07-12-2011, 00:11   #50

Boat: Pearson 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Maybe the new owners will pay contributors for articles for a change.
Actually they did pay. Wasn't much but I was proud to have the check and glad they weren't that fussy about the grammar and did not get to worked up about editing since my tenses were a bit cattywumpus.
Got a whole lotta western lit, philosophy and contemporary pop culture under my belt and will pick up a Lats and Atts any day because they are so accesible and fun to read. They don't take themselves as seriously as other mags like L38 that in there own way are only too happy to use sex couched in hip to sell. My favorite is their response to their own racy pics as something like, "we see nothing wrong with showing healthy young women clad in bikinis" or some such drivel. The goal is the same to get magazines into peoples hands some are just less hypocritical about it. Me I'd appreciate some balance in the form of equal time for "beefcake" photos as well in either magazine. Funny thing is I will buy a Lats and Atts before I will pick up a L38 for free.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:26   #51

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I enjoyed his books more than his mag.

I found them an easy reading style from a guy who obviously loved what he was doing. He has that happy nack of making his readers feel they could do it too.

I also think colourful characters make the world a richer place.
In his own way he has probably given a hell of a lot more back to sailing than he ever took out. But I don't read the mag.

I did email him with a few questions about the Mas Epoxies trial on the caprail of Lost Soul, and he responded with friendly, informative answers, and obviously still a great love for his Formosa 56, and his earlier Formosa 51 days.

I'd be happy to buy him a drink if our paths ever crossed

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

You all know that it's just a magnazine right? Have you looked at covers etc of other ones?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:52   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Fair enough. We've got "The Log" down here and Lat' 38 which is pretty down to earth. Good Old Boat is another down to earth publication I really like, all of which have information that I actually get real use out of. Lats/Atts just seemed to have a lot of attitude and not a lot of pertinent information.

Again, not in anyway disparaging the people who put it together. From what I've read the guy sounds nice as hell.
I too agree that Good Old Boat is a better effort.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:16   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sale of 'Latitudes and Attitudes' Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I too agree that Good Old Boat is a better effort.
In this day and age with the internet...
http://www.allatsea.net/downloadallatsea.html
Hard Copy magazines, newspapers, books etc should be done away with.. good for the ecology...
all that logging, processing reduced by over 50% would be a great move...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 14:43   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
I don't think folks are being elitist - they are just offering opinions. I think it's common knowledge that the magazine struggled a bit lately. We have many good friends who love the magazine. I didn't - at least not for the money. Can't I not-like something without being told I'm an elitist?

We have friends who think "Modern Family" is the funniest thing on TV. We don't. We love "Big Bang Theory", and think it's the funniest show on TV. (Sorry, for folks not in the US, but you get the point). That doesn't make either of us "wrong", just different.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 14:55   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sale of 'Latitudes and Attitudes' Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
I don't think folks are being elitist - they are just offering opinions. I think it's common knowledge that the magazine struggled a bit lately. We have many good friends who love the magazine. I didn't - at least not for the money. Can't I not-like something without being told I'm an elitist?

We have friends who think "Modern Family" is the funniest thing on TV. We don't. We love "Big Bang Theory", and think it's the funniest show on TV. (Sorry, for folks not in the US, but you get the point). That doesn't make either of us "wrong", just different.
Yeah.... Elitist.....

Just jestin....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 16:14   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30
Yeah L & A is not a finished sell out product like some magazines out there. I enjoy the real cruiser stories and not paid writers and hidden advert agendas. Yes they have a lot of advert but I think the articles stand alone and are not connected. I did not know he was the Easy Rider owner too. Even better! Also they published my amateurish story which was kinda kewl I hope it stays un-polished as I like it...
I also like the articles in L&A. They seemed like real cruisers. I liked the unfinished feel. I hope they keep the real feel but update the layout. Didn't realize they didn't get paid-guess they were just longer CF threads. 
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:16   #58

Boat: Catalina 42 MkII
Thumbs up Re: Sale of 'Latitudes and Attitudes' Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In this day and age with the internet...
Download The Current Issue of All At Sea
Hard Copy magazines, newspapers, books etc should be done away with.. good for the ecology...
all that logging, processing reduced by over 50% would be a great move...

That's good in theory but what you get (and I looked at your link) is a clunky photo of a printed page. All online magazines are the same, copies of printed issues.

To make them readable, publishers need to review what they currently think of as "a page" so I don't have to go hunting all over for the next extension of either what I'm reading or what I'm looking at. Then they need to reduce the "clunk" and the load times at their end.
Then I'll subscribe online. However, they don't seem to think there's an issue - I emailed several about online editions when I moved aboard and couldn't subscribe to print editions any longer. None of them think there's an issue, probably because they come from a print background and it is how they see it - it's their history. Until they get replaced, online issues will be almost unreadable and at least unintelligible.

I agree with your point though - the sooner they get their @#$ together the better.
hogesinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 17:47   #59

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
Bob wrote for Easy Riders. When I hung around the same places he did, he was a defacto editor for Easy Riders. I always liked Bob and his attitude back in the bad ole days. I like Latitudes and Attitudes too.

As for all you detractors, NO RAISIN PIE FOR YOU.

See who gets that
I get it.....knuckles in the wind, bro....
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 19:27   #60

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Some people need to scan their postings on this thread. They might be surprised how elitist they sound.
I had to think about this for a while. So I sipped my pricey wine (4 litre box Shiraz), listened to some music (blues, not opera) and wondered just what elitist group I belonged to... besides not particularly liking the L&A mag under discussion. I pondered...

And then it came to me: YES! I do belong to an elite group... those who are actually out cruising, and who have been for long enough to develop our own ideas about life, anchoring and the pursuit of happiness.

So, guilty as charged... damn, I had never thought about it like that!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
sale