Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2021, 03:07   #1

Sails with custom graphics/printed sails

I've only see them on sponsorship boats, or on private boats usually on headsails only.
So far I've only seen a few companies offering the service on their site (image sails, quantum sails, precision sail loft).
I wondered if this can be easily be done by any sail company, painted on or printed on?

Anyone here uses sails with custom graphics?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 03:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Sails with custom graphics/printed sails

A friend of mine painted on his sail with house paint. Looked good at first, at least.
Old 26-05-2021, 05:02   #3

Boat: Grampian 26

I use North Sails for my sheets. I asked them about it over the winter. They said after they make the sail they send it to Nevada for any graphics. I imagine if they can do numbers and letters any graphic is doable.
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 05:18   #4

I see, maybe some printers able to do it outside of sailmaker?
Old 26-05-2021, 06:41   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Go blue!

Quantum code zero, custom stitched in graphic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D46E9B1-9D02-41D4-B01F-56DCF813C5BE.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	239211  
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 08:54   #6

The price of the graphics varies dramatically depending on the printing method used, the size of the graphics, and the material of the sail (which allows or prevents certain printing techniques to be used). It can easily become a major portion of the total cost of the sail. If you want vibrant colors that are durable, be prepared to pay an exorbitant price.
I recently got a new spinnaker with large custom graphics. Very happy with the result, but it was not cheap.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 09:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
I see, maybe some printers able to do it outside of sailmaker?
For spinnakers, it does not work that way. The graphics is printed on the sail either before the sail cloth is cut into the panels, or on the individual panels before the panels are stitched to make the sail.

Either way, your graphics has to be "mapped" on the panels (because the final sail is a 3D surface and your graphics is 2D, so if you want a desired graphics to show properly on the sail, there has to be some 2D to 3D mapping), something that only the sailmaker can do.

The way it typically works, you give the graphics to the sailmaker. The sailmaker maps the graphics on the panels or cloth (the large sailmakers have their own software to do so). Then, the sailmaker sends the panels or sail cloth to a print shop they partner with to get the panels or cloth printed. Then the sail is put together.

For mainsails, it can work with any print shop, since you normally use decals and do not dye the sail. However, be sure to choose a print shop that has experience in these things (ask the sailmaker who to use, normally there is a local print shop that most boaters use), otherwise the result is not going to be durable.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 09:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
The price of the graphics varies dramatically depending on the printing method used, the size of the graphics, and the material of the sail (which allows or prevents certain printing techniques to be used). It can easily become a major portion of the total cost of the sail. If you want vibrant colors that are durable, be prepared to pay an exorbitant price.
I recently got a new spinnaker with large custom graphics. Very happy with the result, but it was not cheap.
I learnt about a local fabric print ship that can print in DTG, Heatpress, Sublimation and Silkscreen methods, I'm not sure which one last the longest, I don't think it has to be that fine for something that looks good from afar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
For spinnakers, it does not work that way. The graphics is printed on the sail either before the sail cloth is cut into the panels, or on the individual panels before the panels are stitched to make the sail.

Either way, your graphics has to be "mapped" on the panels (because the final sail is a 3D surface and your graphics is 2D, so if you want a desired graphics to show properly on the sail, there has to be some 2D to 3D mapping), something that only the sailmaker can do.

The way it typically works, you give the graphics to the sailmaker. The sailmaker maps the graphics on the panels or cloth (the large sailmakers have their own software to do so). Then, the sailmaker sends the panels or sail cloth to a print shop they partner with to get the panels or cloth printed. Then the sail is put together.

For mainsails, it can work with any print shop, since you normally use decals and do not dye the sail. However, be sure to choose a print shop that has experience in these things (ask the sailmaker who to use, normally there is a local print shop that most boaters use), otherwise the result is not going to be durable.
I am thinking about geometric pattern, and I can try out on main and jib. shouldn't have that much difference between 3d and 2d for geometric?
Old 26-05-2021, 10:50   #9

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
I am thinking about geometric pattern, and I can try out on main and jib. shouldn't have that much difference between 3d and 2d for geometric?
Shouldn’t matter as long as you don’t care if straight lines crossing panels actually look straight, and the color pattern to line up. The fuller the sail the worse the mismatch.
Maybe an amorphous tie-dye decoration might be less obvious in transition between 2D and 3D
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 11:01   #10

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I had a chance to see the cutting machine at Door Sail do graphics. Very impressive!

Canvas Marine Supplies | Sturgeon Bay, WI - Dorsal LLC

Building on a long history of serving the Great Lakes boating community, Dorsal LLC (aka Door Sail) is your full-service sail loft and canvas shop. We specialize in custom sails,marine canvas and upholstey supplies in Sturgeon Bay, WI, for commercial and residential customers.
Old 26-05-2021, 11:22   #11

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I had this simple cross stitched into my fore-course square-sail by the sailmaker, for only $60.00 extra. It’s the cross of St George, the flag of England. I wanted the British lion, but that would have been $300.00. So you get what you pay for. JR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Squaresail.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	239234  
Old 26-05-2021, 11:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
Shouldn’t matter as long as you don’t care if straight lines crossing panels actually look straight, and the color pattern to line up. The fuller the sail the worse the mismatch.
Maybe an amorphous tie-dye decoration might be less obvious in transition between 2D and 3D
I see, I think I will talk to the sailmaker and see what they can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I had this simple cross stitched into my fore-course square-sail by the sailmaker, for only $60.00 extra. It’s the cross of St George, the flag of England. I wanted the British lion, but that would have been $300.00. So you get what you pay for. JR.
$300 isn't really that expensive, I think it would be worthwhile.
Old 26-05-2021, 11:58   #13

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Cool.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 13:49   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
A friend of mine painted on his sail with house paint. Looked good at first, at least.

The problem with house paint is that it will begin to flake in a year (I've done the testing, including painting sails). I've even used a painted-on UV strip (about 2 years so far and zero chips)... but it isn't house paint.

You need a very flexible paint. Inflatable dinghy paint works well, but the colors are very limited. Marine Shield comes in more colors, but availability stinks.

I'd ask a company that does advertising banners on cloth, and then look at work that had been out there a few years. Remember that sails are not in the sun nearly that much.
Old 26-05-2021, 16:56   #15

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

Insignia Cloth is a fabric that has adhesive on one side, made of polyester and comes in many colors. This is the fabric that sailmakers commonly use to put letters and numbers on sails. You can buy it by the yard, Sailrite sells it retail. I used this fabric in blue, yellow, and hot pink, to decorate my mainsail and my jib. I cut a large treble clef in pink (about 4 feet tall), two sets of 5 wavy lines in yellow, and several half notes and quarter notes in blue, and if one could read music, you would have been able to play what was on the sails.
Sorry, no photos, I dont own that boat anymore.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails