Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2021, 13:53   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Sailing with 2,5 year old.

Our children were aboard with us from infancy as some others have said above. The water risk is obvious; however, a couple of other cautions include,...
-the long fall down the open companionway
-little one's parts caught by the wheel at the helm
-the running rigging,- sheets & travelers moving moving fast
-hatches that may drop on fingers and toes

We kept a designated area of the cockpit child safe as well as the cabin below without child access up the companionway steps.
Old 30-06-2021, 13:54   #17

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Safety is your daughters responsibility. The noise and mess though will fall on you. All depends on how the parents are.

As an aside, I’ve seen parents completely inattentive to their children on boats and in others homes. I found that if you leave knives and stuff lying around the parents pay better attention. A poor mother won’t see her kid playing with your glass vase right in front of her, but if you put all the glassware on the top shelf of a rickety shelf, they’ll spot that as soon as they walk in.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 14:37   #18

No problem - though a baby is less trouble.

Train them to stay in the cockpit, on board to wear a harness, and a proper inflatable lifejacket when they're not harnessed in.

Only had one go overboard, over the transom when anchored, pulling his 18 month old brother around in the dinghy, his conversational "and now I'm in the water" ended with an explicit "help".
He now canoes in Finnish lakes, where the all 4, have individual kayaks and an enormous all-family canoe, with a multi-level trailer to transport them around.
The youngest won't go near water, though his 14month old daughter thinks it's fantastic.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 14:53   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

I think you will be fine. But you might want to buy your sister some kid swimming lessons for Christmas.
Our kid's started learning to swim at 6 months and it gave them plenty of confidence in the water. Once our three year old flicked himself of the lifelines and into the water. When he popped up he immediately grabbed the dock edge and started yelling. Just like we had trained for in the pool. A change of clothes and Jonah was fine and ready for more mischief. We always have an eye out for our kids when onboard. It's really no different to a day at the beach.
Personally I would be more worried about spending a month onboard with a family member. I always believe family are like fish and go off after three days.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 14:59   #20

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

As far as kids or adults shouting for help… forget it. Drowning is silent.

https://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

I grew up sailing as did my sibs including my little sister who started cruising at 6 months. Life jackets always.
My sons grew up sailing. Life jackets too.
Yes someone on kid watch at all times.
I’m not saying don’t do it, I’m saying be aware.
Getting hurt is not fun. Safety is sometimes a necessary thing.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 15:08   #21

Boat: Adams 40

The issue of the children’s safety has been well covered by previous posts and there’s lots of good advice which does not need repeating.
My concern is....4 weeks is a long time to be with others in a confined space. How well do you get on with your sister, partner and their kids ?
Even if you get on very well it could test relationships. Think about an “ opt out clause” ie plan B for the others if it’s much of a strain -ie. is there some on shore accommodation which they could go to after say 2 weeks? Personally, it would drive me nuts. Good luck, remember, it’s meant to be fun !
Dave Isom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 18:12   #22

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

"I am sailing this summer for a month in Greek Dodecanese.
My sis wants to come with husband and a baby girl 2,5 years old."

What could possibly go wrong?? The child is easy - PFD on at all times out of the cabin or around the dock. At ALL times. AND put a baby gate across the companionway (that will make life easy for everyone on board - not).
For your sake, I am hoping you are well used to being around somebody else's toddler with no means of personal escape, & that your sister & her husband are experienced sailors & are popping over to join you for only 3 or 4 days max & then leaving. In any other circumstances, you are just plain asking for trouble & i am sure it will find you. Crazy man.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 23:51   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@Jamiesan,

So much of this is so very much out of your hands! If you and your sister and her spouse are relaxed and comfortable with each other; if she is also an aware caretaker of her daughter; and if it is easy communications all around, you'll work out whatever you need to. If you've never had kids of your own or little ones around, it will be an eye opener for you. And having in mind a plan B that will work for you all, also, will perhaps ease some of the strain.

You should make it clear that whoever causes a toilet blockage will have to clear it, according to your instruction. Children go through a stage where they think too much toilet paper is just right!.

At 2,5 yrs. old, she'll no longer be confinable by a gate for the companionway, but you might be able to enforce a "when the duck boards are in, you are not allowed out" regime. Rewarding compliance works well. And so does distraction.

Jack line and harness while above decks. You need to chat with your sister about it all: she and her partner should be sharing the burden of child care, and that additionally means making or buying a harness, and providing a flotation vest that fits her well. Possibly for the adults as well, although I don't know what Greece's laws are, some places require the ship be equipped with life jackets for all. It also includes the toilet chat, a set person overboard policy, and some talk of who pays for what, when, and how. When it is all up front, it is easy to cope with. It will be really cool if your sis and her partner can teach the little one to swim as part of the vacation.

We have both been guests with people who have more money than we, and had people with more visit us. Pleasure in the visits have been based mainly on compatibility. However, our wealthier friends insisted on paying for all the provisions while they were with us; and we provided all the boat stuff, dinghy fuel, and we shared rental car costs.
With our family when they came to see us, we covered everything except their air fare, though that has varied with their capabilities financially, too.

Ann
Old 01-07-2021, 04:48   #24

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

we are born with only two fears; the fear of falling and the fear of NOISE....all other fears are learned/taught.......when young we don't fear the water
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:29   #25

I think it’s less about a 2 YO and more about having guests. We learned: no non-boating guests. Those that don’t panic at the dock get seasick; those that don’t get seasick make a mess. The toilet lecture might as well go unsaid. Kids try to poke fingers through screens, scream about life jackets, and are demanding of parents who in turn need something from the sailors. No thanks
Old 01-07-2021, 06:39   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Since I haven't seen this mentioned, I guess I will.

The kids in PFDs? Great. How about the adults?

It will be easier to convey the necessity of wearing a PFD if the parent is wearing one.

I always cringe when I see a boat with an adult at the helm not wearing a PFD with a few kids in PFDs. What happens if that adult ends up in the water? Nothing good, I suppose.

BTW, I always wear a PFD when underway. I often sail solo when wearing one seems mandatory. To keep in the habit, I always wear a PFD.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Since I haven't seen this mentioned, I guess I will.

The kids in PFDs? Great. How about the adults?

It will be easier to convey the necessity of wearing a PFD if the parent is wearing one.

I always cringe when I see a boat with an adult at the helm not wearing a PFD with a few kids in PFDs. What happens if that adult ends up in the water? Nothing good, I suppose.

BTW, I always wear a PFD when underway. I often sail solo when wearing one seems mandatory. To keep in the habit, I always wear a PFD.

Kids do what they are told. I don’t need a PFD. Kids do. End of story.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:15   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

My kids grew up on boats. Life jackets strictly adhered to. ( they wore them to supermarkets and restaurants !!!). Teach them to swim as soon as they are able.

Kids actually can go quiet from shock so don’t assume.

I found my kids were very quick to understand the dangers. The trouble always came from visiting non boating kids.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:15   #29
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

Yes but you lead by example
Old 01-07-2021, 10:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes but you lead by example
You sort of missed the scope of the OP's post. It is not the OP's child. It is the child of a guest asking to join them on their vacation.

It's not really my responsibility to to wear a PFD unnecessarily so you don't have to deal with arguments from 2-3 yr old.

I will qualify this with, I love my friends and family.......but all my friends on my boat, HAVE boats. They behave like boaters on my boat and go back to their own boat at the end of the night.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing