Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 04:56   #31

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: Sailing to the Med thru Red Sea 2nd quarter 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
No longer in a bene I have all the creature comforts and 2 able daughters to keep yacht going in right direction
You are planning to sail there with your two daughters???Good luck to you my friend...
Old 25-09-2014, 05:25   #32
cruiser

A Beneteau 45 will make an excellent soft target for pirates or IS. Don't you read the news? A French mountaineer just lost his head to an IS Muslim group yesterday in Algeria.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 06:07   #33

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Oh not going through Red Sea currently stocking provisons leaving sardinia next Monday (touch wood)to Gibraltar then on to Cape Verde across to Brazil down towards Uragury across to sth Africa restock then up towards Broome then home to victoria been 22 yrs since I first set sail in my little beneteau38 first when I left oz
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 06:25   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Oh not going through Red Sea currently stocking provisons leaving sardinia next Monday (touch wood)to Gibraltar then on to Cape Verde across to Brazil down towards Uragury across to sth Africa restock then up towards Broome then home to victoria been 22 yrs since I first set sail in my little beneteau38 first when I left oz

You could pop into the Caribbean to say hello!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 06:49   #35

Well I have one daughter who is instant on going Carib way but I would love to go to Falklands and St Helena on way home
Old 25-09-2014, 07:23   #36
Long Range Cruiser

She will have more fun in St Barts than the Falklands

You can do both.

Old 27-09-2014, 06:51   #37

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

Once you get into the Red Sea it's easy. A good jump off is Djibouti where you can get pretty much everything you need. Sauakin is an interesting next stop in Sudan. You cannot stop on the Saudi side unless you are in dire trouble. Port Sudan is (just about) ok for a stop if you have to, there's nothing there of major interest - ships unloading aid supplies. There are plenty of marsas (lagoons) all the way up on the African side where you can anchor for the night. Your charts are not reliable - your charted GPS position may show you as being inland in places...) watch out for reefs and wrecks and sawn-off remains of rigs (unlit). Buoyage and navigational lights are not to be seen. Sailing at night is NOT to be recommended. Port Ghalib 25deg 32'N 34deg 38.5'E is a good port of entry into Egypt, they are friendly and keen to 'take business' from Hurghada which is further up the coast. Go to Hurghada anyway for it has everything you could possibly want, including an excellent hospital. From there it's northwards to Suez - the yacht club is on your left as you head into the entrance to the canal, and it's a dump and facilities sparse, anchor off and either row ashore or take the boatman (he's an old guy who'll row you and not rip you off) to appoint and negotiate with an agent to take care of your canal transit (you must have a pilot) with its overnight mandatory stop in Ismailia where you get a new pilot (they will both ask you for 'presents' and drink all your coke/pepsi/seven-up) for the leg to Port Said where the yacht club on west side is also a dump and facilities sparse - tie up ashore stern-to carefully with a bow line out to a huge buoy. You can walk round to get the ferry across to town where there are cheap eateries. Push off from there straight out into the Med. I stopped in Paphos before going to Turkey. It's a pretty straightforward passage up the Red Sea. The winds are either up your back or on the nose and can be ferocious; if you do sail at night be prepared for sudden squalls that can come out of nowhere. Best to day sail and anchor overnight in one of the numerous marsas on the African side well before sunset so you can eyeball your way in avoiding the coral, you may see flamingoes, camels and enjoy a peaceful night. There are plenty of dolphins in the Red Sea - always a joy. It gets cooler as you progress north, especially once you get to the Med; I was wearing pullovers and a windcheater in Cyprus among tourists in Tee shirts and shorts - OK they'd come from northern Europe so for them it was hot; I'd sailed from Phuket via Galle, Uligan and Djibouti so 21degrees C in Paphos seemed a little chilly to me. Enjoy your passage!
Old 28-09-2014, 04:04   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Hello Everyone and thank you for your input.
I agree the pirates danger is still there so sailing thru is not an option.
Blue planet odysseys set for 2016 which is very far.
Will search for the convoy leaving Salalah in Oman and check what is their arrangement.
I am hoping that I will find a way out.
Wishing everyone best times on water.
Lootah
Old 28-09-2014, 18:42   #39

hello again,
to my surprise i found a company that claims can provide delivery service to red sea thru ban almandab so i asked them to quote. not sure how much is it but will keep you posted.
lootah
Old 29-09-2014, 04:52   #40
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lootah View Post
hello again,
to my surprise i found a company that claims can provide delivery service to red sea thru ban almandab so i asked them to quote. not sure how much is it but will keep you posted.
lootah
You probably meat the straits of Bab al-Mandeb thats where the Gulf of Aden joins the Red Sea.
You want the delivery to get your boat up to Egypt. I would suggest Hurgarda. Its a nice marina, comparatively speaking... They didnt rip us off and we left the boat there while touring Egypt by land. Hurghada Marina

Theres a new marina further south but thats a rip off.

If the boat is delivered to Sudan, for example, you may need a huge bribe to get out... $10,000 or more because its more difficult to do the admin on a fly in, crew change bit. Especially if the navy gets involved.

Old 29-09-2014, 05:09   #41

Boat: Scanmar 40

I'm not sure whether this will be of help but I have also been monitoring this situation in Indian Ocean/Red Sea. First statistics: last year there were 15 instances of piracy, the year before 95 and the year before that 235. The reasons for the fall are threefold, 1) there about nine navies patrolling the area (how long for who knows) 2) the rules changed to allow armed protection on commercial vessels, and 3) Somalia seems to have a more stable(ish) government.
This is still a dangerous place but would seem to be improving. My advice would be sail in company, switch of your AIS transponder, stay at least 20-25 miles off shore and if possible don't show any lights at night.
Good luck.
AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 01:49   #42

I wonder how the 2 German flagged yachts got on they were in the gulf of Aden they had engine failure at first on the 16th of August which a French navy? Came to help and fixed engine then 4 days later the spainish navy frigate Navarra came to the rescue again as they ran out of fuel and water I belive they gave them fuel and water and the 2 yachts then carried on into the Red Sea ?
Old 30-09-2014, 02:21   #43

piracy slows down during the rough weather season which is june to sept therefore if some can take the risk with weather may be able to pass without an encounter with pirates.
no i am looking at the option to ship the boat half way to jeddah or aqabah or port saeed. still waiting for shippers quotes.
there is a good amount of trans-shipments leaving from dubai to jeddah.
will have to demast and put the boat on flat bed container and another one for the mast.
the team that will demast the boat here will mast it again in jeddah or where ever the boat get shipped to.
let see how the numbers will add up.

lootah
Old 30-09-2014, 03:24   #44

Correction it was two Frenchman who where rescued story here www.oceanusview.org
Old 30-09-2014, 03:46   #45

There seems to be the assumption that sailing with other sailing yachts is somehow safer. I don 't understand that reasoning. Can anyone explain how your actions will prevent a buddy-boat from being taken by armed pirates in a high-speed boat while you putter along at 6 knots waving a flare gun...
If anything a yacht flotilla probably makes a more likely radar and visual sight target.

Sent from my iPhone using Crui
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing