Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 04:43   #1

Sailing Naked - My first time aboard a sailboat.

Although we didn't go sailing, I was able to board and spend time on a friends sailboat this weekend.

I think he said its a 1972 American Beauty, but I'm not certain. American Beauty may be the name of the boat. In any event, it was GORGEOUS! It had the most beautiful wooden interior, and custom made stained glass windows over the salon. The galley was along the port side, and the dinette was on the starboard side in an L shape. The companion way stairs were also wooden and kinda half spiraled down into the galley. The aft cabin had standing room and a full head and stand up shower, and single bunks on either side. The forward V berth also had a head and a wood or diesel burning heater.

After spending so much time looking at boats on the internet, it was the most AMAZING thing to actually be on one in person. I could DEFINITELY see myself enjoying a long cruise around the Caribbean on one. My partner however, is convinced we'll never live on one, and we'll be buying a motor yacht.

And while we were all enjoying drinks in the cockpit, a trimaran came sailing around through all the boats. The captain and his wife had absolutely no concern for the fact that they were completely sailing naked through a heavily populated anchorage. LOL In fact, when we realized he was a neighbor of my friend, my friend yelled out and "complimented" him on his nice heiny! The captain laughed, walked out of the cockpit, and proceeded to "helicopter" for us. I had no problem with it, but there were a few other boats who obviously didn't like nudity.

Anyway, here's a few photos from the weekend.

Thats my bowrider tied up to his boat.

TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 21:27   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Sailing Naked - My first time aboard a sailboat.

So, where are the pics of the trimaran?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 21:42   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

Umm, really, no pictures of the nice heinie?!?

Seriously though. Next time get out there and go sailing It's definitely more interesting than watching exhibitionists from the cockpit of a moored boat....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 22:59   #4
cruiser

In some parts of the sailing world, nudity on boats is so common place nobody even gives it a thought or notice. 'Just people out enjoying themselves.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:22   #5

I've seen you around.......no big deal. Have fun but when boats anchor near by please pay us the courtesy of wearing some pants.....otherwise it's just obnoxious.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:41   #6

Boat: Prout

Your yacht is probably better looking than the "cargo" on the trimaran

Sent from my SM-T555 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:47   #7

Naked folks are all over the Carib. We sailed with three rugrats for several years in the Carib, and the kids got a full text on human biology. Favorite was a young maiden who use to paddle around the harbor with morning croissants and coffee and of course her au naturale. About the only thing that got my son up early in the morning without effort on our part. Naked folks also line the shores of the northern European coasts, harbors, and on other boats. Tough folks. Think the Germans are immune to the cold.

Would not advise doing that in most non-western areas.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:10   #8

Wow, I wonder what's going to happen on your second time on a sailboat?!

I think people enjoy getting naked when sailing because it is a sport or lifestyle that truly makes one feel free. Nothing better than gracefully flying over the water with a warm breeze caressing your skin.
However, keeping your stuff stowed properly while adjusting sheets or putting a reef in is advised.
Been there, done that, lol!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:18   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Just be sure to apply sun screen to your vital bits if you burn. As a girlfriend didn't heed me on this, & WE Both paid for it. Ouch! Fortunately it only took her a day to heal

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:41   #10

It's been said that a armed society is a polite society. I don't buy it, I think if we all went naked it would be a much more peaceful and polite world.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:11   #11

Boat: Prout

I guess everyone is naked under their clothes!

Sent from my SM-T555 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
It's been said that a armed society is a polite society. I don't buy it, I think if we all went naked it would be a much more peaceful and polite world.
Along the Dalmatian coast there are whole towns devoted to nudists, mostly from Germany. After about a half hour one gets use to it. After a day's time, it seems totally normal.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Along the Dalmatian coast there are whole towns devoted to nudists, mostly from Germany. After about a half hour one gets use to it. After a day's time, it seems totally normal.
I was stationed in Germany for two years. The first thing I noticed is how comfortable German's are with nudity. Going from Airport to base I saw my first German billboard, a hair shampoo advert, the women washing her hair in a shower was totaly nude full upper frontal shot with hip's swung to the side to give a nice side bottom view. I was pleased. A local village had a saltwater health spa, all nude, age no matter, sex no matter, for some a family event. It was quite nice.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:42   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Thing I remember most about Germany and swimming is there are some people who should not wear Spandex.
I am now in that number
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:04   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

We have zero problem with people sailing naked.

Ideally, people should be allowed to dress (or not!) as they please. I am yet to meet any naked people who would try to convince me I should get undressed. They just do things their way and do not interfere with my own (maybe just as odd, to them) lifestyle.

However, many local communities do not want naked people running around. If you are in an island where people are very religious, you should not sail naked, nor swim naked.

I would not be surprised if cruisers anchored in say Antigua looked down on any boat sailing in with her crew anude. It is simply NOT their culture. Cross to Guadeloupe and it is 100 % OK to swim naked (sure thing - not when you are anchored 100 yards from a city beach).

There is a place and time for everything. Walking naked where people normally do not is simply showing them your disrespect. DO NOT.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, sailing