Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 09:03   #1

Sailing Doodles fire

I searched and did not find any other posts. For those who have followed Bobby and his youtube videos, his CT 56, "Nauti Dogs", suffered a blown transmission and fire on a recent trip around Cape Lookout NC. Apparently the spare achor came loose from it's bow mount and fouled the prop while Bobby was trying to single hand the boat in 30+ knots of wind. The transmission overheated and burned just about everything in the bilge including most of the electrial stuff. The boat was towned into Beaufort. Bobby says that it will take $100k just to fix the boat and his insurance won't cover it. There's a video on his website that details the doomed voyage. It's a pay per view but he's only asking for donations to help out.

He's put the boat up for sale for under $50k if anyone is interested.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:26   #2

Re: Sailing Doodles fire

Poor guy, needing donations so he can keep sailing. My heart bleeds for people like this.

=======

Those youtube internet people are absolutely shameless!!!!
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Poor guy, needing donations so he can keep sailing. My heart bleeds for people like this.

=======

Those youtube internet people are absolutely shameless!!!!
This is how he earns a living...making videos about his sailing life. His biggest mistake was not declaring the easten US as his sailing area with his insurance company. He was supposed to be in the Carribbean but you know...Covid. So his insurance company has denied his claim. He's losing a lot of money on his boat. I prefer to give the guy a break and wish him well, but that's just me.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:08   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolman View Post
This is how he earns a living...making videos about his sailing life. His biggest mistake was not declaring the easten US as his sailing area with his insurance company. He was supposed to be in the Carribbean but you know...Covid. So his insurance company has denied his claim. He's losing a lot of money on his boat. I prefer to give the guy a break and wish him well, but that's just me.
Sounds like he knew he had to change his insurance but didn't. No one is responsible for this but him.

I'm not opposed to paying for quality content, but I am opposed to paying for someone else's conscious mistakes.

I'm glad he's safe.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:13   #5

Old news....This topic has been discussed on the Youtube Live Aboard Stars thread.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Sounds like he knew he had to change his insurance but didn't. No one is responsible for this but him.

I'm not opposed to paying for quality content, but I am opposed to paying for someone else's conscious mistakes.

I'm glad he's safe.
He totally acknowleges his mistakes. He's never asked for money before as his videos are all availble on youtube. He does have paterons that help to support him but one doesn't have to be a pateron. I don't mind kicking in $10 to help the guy out. But that's just me.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:24   #7

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
He totally acknowleges his mistakes. He's never asked for money before as his videos are all availble on youtube. He does have paterons that help to support him but one doesn't have to be a pateron. I don't mind kicking in $10 to help the guy out. But that's just me.

I need a new generator. Want to kick in $5 for me? I promise I will send a pic of the new install.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:38   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
I don't mind kicking in $10 to help the guy out. But that's just me.
Nah, it's not just you. Lots of folks probably have given him some $$. Personally, I didn't like his content, his objectifying of scantily clad woman sailing to make those $$, or even his sailing style - so it's not me.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:45   #9

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

typo
Quote:
... He's never asked for money before as his videos are all available on youtube. He does have patreons that help to support him but one doesn't have to be a patreon. I don't mind kicking in $10 to help the guy out. But that's just me.
He's never asked for money before. Give me a break; the single reason for running a patreon account is to ask other people to give you their money? Every single episode includes a subscribe and become a patreon statement (or 3).

And the reason for having free videos out there is to draw in a paying audience. It's simple promotion and marketing technique.

Where I am hundreds of people just lost their homes and farms in a cyclone. Their needs are life threatening. A great cause is Sea Mercy. Those guys were out the day after the cyclone getting water, food and temporary shelters to people all over. Just ordinary sailors in ordinary sail boats like you and me. Send them your $10, please. They can actually do something brilliantly positive with it.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I need a new generator. Want to kick in $5 for me? I promise I will send a pic of the new install.
I'm glad I'm not the only person that feels this way. lol

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:01   #11

Seems like I'm in the minority here about tossing a couple bucks his way and feeling sorry for his mistakes. No big deal. Carry on.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:16   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I look at it like pro sports. If it interests you, do what you want. If it doesn't, don't. I don't care about pro sports and I don't care about sailing videos, and I certainly don't care about the life choices of either group. But if you do like football, then pay to go to the game if you like.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:37   #13

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Exactly thinwater. I think it is funny how everyone feels so compelled to comment on others views on this though topic. Its kinda like protesting against "freedom of speak" when that freedom is what is allowing you to protest it. Kinda ironic. Support if you like and don't if you don't. Freedom to make choices is a beautiful thing. Just remember it all swords have 2 edges...
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:05   #14

I'm not a fan of Doodles, and not much of a fan of any of the popular sailing channels as they enter their Phase 2.0 appeals: going from austere shoestring sailor to a well-heeled and well-funded cruiser. I find these appeals tone-deaf during a time when so many people are struggling to pay rent and buy groceries.

That said, Bobby has an interesting back-story.

https://scottmurray.info/characters-...ailing-doodles

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 13:55   #15

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
typo

He's never asked for money before. Give me a break; the single reason for running a patreon account is to ask other people to give you their money? Every single episode includes a subscribe and become a patreon statement (or 3).

And the reason for having free videos out there is to draw in a paying audience. It's simple promotion and marketing technique.
As far as I know you can watch everything except the breaking down fire vid without ever paying. Off course he try's to get paying subs makes him able to continue cruising and paying for the editing and material. Luckily people do this otherwise we would only watch some rich people with camera and editing staff cruise.
rjvannoort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing