Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Sailing and Civility--Incongruous bedfellows?

More than likely that boat that passed without acknowledgment - no one was on watch For the rest, they exist, but I'm with Kettlewell, had far more good experiences and try to pay it forward as I bounce around the planet.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:31   #17

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
And, of course, powerboaters seem to have a general disregard for sailboats, and especially for the affect their wake has on us.
That's pretty offensive right there. Respect on the water is a two-way street regardless of boat type. As a slow trawler, I understand some of the aspects of boating that sailors deal with, but do not pigeon-hole or make broad statements about powerboats because there are plenty of stories I have heard and can tell of the same disrespect sailors have for surrounding boaters.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Unfortunately, a significant number of the smaller boats that see me bearing down on them bear away themselves, making it too risky to pass to leeward. How do you pass someone who doesn't understand his obligation to maintain course and speed?
By altering course visibly and early. When a big guy continues on an intercept course til the last second, it's impossible to know their intent.

Horn signals might help, except that it seems they're not common knowledge, or popular with yachties.

(Our boat's small enough and I'm arrogant enough that I will hold my course when we're the stand-on vessel, because I can still avoid the collision safely if the arse won't yield)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:41   #19

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

One of my all-time favorites: I'm approaching a nice, fast monohull from astern, we're both on a close reach out of San Diego Bay, not quite to the Point, yet. The skipper ahead sees us, in our trimaran, mutters (in my imagination) "That multihull thinks he can pass us, we'll show him what going to weather is all about". He and his crew begin to tweak the main and genoa, hardening up. We match him, accelerating as we do so.As we streak past him, to weather, he averts his head and falls off to the other side of the channel. We laugh. Another treasured (imagined) fantasy falls to physics as boat speed creates new apparent wind.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43   #20

There are ******** on the water and on the land, but from what I have seen, the ******* ratio is drastically reduced on the water.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15   #21

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Last weekend, returning after a couple-hour cruise exercising the John Deere, was in the extreme right side of the Mare Island Channel. Heading directly toward me was a 45-to-50-foot, three-story cruiser. Gave a short blast. No response. No responding sound or change in course. Had to take a right turn toward shore to avoid a collision. That boat should have been closer to its side of the channel, let alone respond to my signal.

Next time, next time ... I'll turn around and identify the boat by name (if not hidden by dinghy) and announce to the "world" over the VHF that the boat is a hazard to navigation.

Almost without exception, boats perform ballet avoiding each other. But then there are exceptions such as above and the time a sailboat in the middle of the bay tacked without apparent reason, requiring me to make an emergency maneuver to avoid.

The worse wake-makers are usually power boats over 40 feet in length moving faster than hull speed. Their wakes are much worse than those of ships and most tugs.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28   #22

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Horn signals might help, except that it seems they're not common knowledge, or popular with yachties.
That's for international waters. In U.S. inland waters:

(a) When power-driven vessels are in sight of one another and meeting or crossing at a distance within half a mile of each other, each vessel underway, when maneuvering as authorized or required by these Rules:
(i) shall indicate that maneuver by the following signals on her whistle:
  • one short blast to mean "I intend to leave you on my port side";
  • two short blasts to mean "I intend to leave you on my starboard side";
  • three short blasts to mean "I am operating astern propulsion".
(ii) upon hearing the one or two blast signal of the other shall, if in agreement, sound the same whistle signal and take the steps necessary to effect a safe passing. If, however, from any cause, the vessel doubts the safety of the proposed maneuver, she shall sound the danger signal specified in paragraph (d) of this Rule and each vessel shall take appropriate precautionary action until a safe passing agreement is made.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's for international waters. In U.S. inland waters:

(a) When power-driven vessels are in sight of one another and meeting or crossing at a distance within half a mile of each other, each vessel underway, when maneuvering as authorized or required by these Rules:
(i) shall indicate that maneuver by the following signals on her whistle:
  • one short blast to mean "I intend to leave you on my port side";
  • two short blasts to mean "I intend to leave you on my starboard side";
  • three short blasts to mean "I am operating astern propulsion".
(ii) upon hearing the one or two blast signal of the other shall, if in agreement, sound the same whistle signal and take the steps necessary to effect a safe passing. If, however, from any cause, the vessel doubts the safety of the proposed maneuver, she shall sound the danger signal specified in paragraph (d) of this Rule and each vessel shall take appropriate precautionary action until a safe passing agreement is made.
That works out to the same signal, though, right?

1 short = Altering to starboard = leaving oncoming vessel to your port
2 short = Altering to port = leaving oncoming vessel to your starboard
3 short = Astern = astern
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:46   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
We live in a "Me" world where as long as our needs and desires are fulfilled, we callously disrespect and ignore the feelings of others. I want it and that's all that matters. Sailing and civility--incongrous bedfellows? What do you think?
Actually I think the "problem" is as much about folk who expect (and demand?) perfection from others and / or are surprised that the needs and desires of others may conflict with own.................and then seem to be dissapointed and befuddled(?!) when life is not actually like that ..........and that seems to be an afloat and ashore thing!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

"Here lies the body of Michael O'Day,
Who died enforcing his right of way,
Dead right he was as he sailed along',
But he's just as dead as if he'd be wrong."
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
That's pretty offensive right there.
I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. That is simply my observation after more than 30 years now as a sailor.

And, I should mention, that I have also owned and rented powerboats over the years. Used to enjoy water skiing quite a lot. That started more than 40 years ago. Lived on a houseboat for a while, too. I'm sure you are not amongst the "most," but I still think that most powerboaters are oblivious to the effects of their wake.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I'm sure you are not amongst the "most," but I still think that most powerboaters are oblivious to the effects of their wake.
That is true, to some degree, but also a nature of things. As a former sailor I try to be as conscious as possible when approaching a sailboat under sail. I am pretty sure I am nearly 100% successful to pass them astern and leeward (just a habit), but have a problem with the wake part.

No problem in the "no wake zone" but when on the unrestricted water it's a different matter. I try to keep as far as possible form any boat, and pay special attention to kayaks, bass boats, and sailboats, but I maintain the cruising speed and go when safe to do so. This is the nature of planing boat ... it does make a wake. It is impossible to avoid the wake without getting off plane into displacement mode which I would have to do every few minutes during the season and forget the weekends ... but then why bother operating planing boat. Being rolled is an connivance, my power boat is being rolled by bigger boats and ships as well ... especially by faster moving river cruise ships. I have to deal with their wake as well.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 13:28   #28
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I look to look at it this way; when someone does something that seems discourteous, I have learned one more thing not to do myself. The other thing I try to remember is that there are some parts of life--jostling onto the subway--where worrying over every possible slight is fruitless; life consists of a few lumps and they don't all matter.

Otherwise there is road rage. Just not worth it.
Old 06-03-2013, 14:02   #29

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuzzMonkey View Post
I've seen most of that, and then, as Kettlewell says, just as much or more amazing generosity and big-heartedness.

But one thing I would like to see more of is a little tolerance. Some of those offenders are, in fact, idiots or jerks. Others, though, are just inexperienced or unskilled.

I think we forget too often how easy it is to start sailing, and how much of a challenge it can be to become genuinely competent and knowledgeable about it. A lot of breaches of common cruising etiquette may simply spring from folks who haven't yet learned that etiquette, or aren't quite sure how to execute it.

Certainly most of the problems I have had with folks in anchorages (and vice versa, no doubt!) have been the result of inexperience and uncertainty. They don't know what is appropriate. Sometimes they anchored too close because they couldn't judge the distances, and in at least one case, because they figured I knew where the safest spot was (their mistake!).

I know the people weren't just jerks because I got to talk with them later; it's not so easy when you're crossing paths out in the ocean. But because of that, and because of my own undeniable limits, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt these day (admittedly, often after a short outburst of expletives).
+1

OP - try not to take things so hard
Old 06-03-2013, 15:09   #30

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I will slow down meeting a boat head on if they slow down. Most of the time I'am cruising slow enough that I'am not making a wake, I also don't overtake many except the tows. I waked a kayak a couple years ago that was way out of the channel, didn't see him until to late to slow down. I saw him later at the marina when we came back later in the day, I apologized for waking him & he told me not to worry about it catching a wake was not a problem & added a little excitement to the day.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing