Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 09:01   #1

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch
sailboatdata.com???

Each boat i look at online, every time I shuffle back and forth to sailboatdata.com. and the “definitions” section (which i’m close to committing to memory). my question, finally. To all here, Are there proven ocean crossing, Water boats">blue water boats which seemingly defy sailboatdata .com’s definitions of what one is? (and of course i’m aware of those people who’ve crossed oceans in a cat rigged beer keg and those who’ve safely done it in beneteaus). just for info, i’m looking for a sea kindly , safe boat for 4. cheers,Brandon
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:44   #2

Re: sailboatdata.com???

What kind of Oceans do you intend to cross? Not all crossings are equal.

Best is first hand experience followed by the wisdom of the crowd. It's is worth more than variations in some compound scores calculated from the specs. If a certain type of boat is popular to do the trip you want to do, assume it's a fair choice.

Also, do you intend to cross oceans all the time, or is this going to be a one-off experience. In the latter case, preparation can mitigate many shortcomings, which would be annoying if you cross Oceans all the time.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:51   #3

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I wasn't aware that sailboatdata defined boats into categories. I've been using that site for years and I don't recall ever seeing a data field for what a boat can be used for.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:08   #4

In the data of a sailboat on the sailboatdata, you find the section Calculations. When you click there on the right side on Defintions, you'll get a text explaining those numbers and how Comfort Ration and the CSF give an indication on what a boat should be used for.

As usual, people don't read the fine-print and start brandishing cluelessly those numbers as if they were the size of their willy.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:09   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

I use SailboatData.com as a general reference for actual boat specs -- draft, beam, length over all, length of the water line, displacement, tankage -- etc.

"comfort ratio" , "capsize screening formula", and similar analytics I only pay passing attention to.

The first category, actual specs, are raw data that I can use to compare boats. (e.g. "this 40 ft. boat has a 6.5' draft vs this other 40 ft. boat has a 4'7" draft".)

the second category is someone else's conclusion as to what those specs mean. Theoretically, this boat will be faster, or more comfortable, or point higher, or whatever.

I prefer to come to my own conclusions as to what those specs mean -- and not blindly trust what someone else says they mean. Engineers have said that theoretically bumblebees can't fly, based on their specs. Yet they can and do fly. So just because SailboatData.com tells us that "theoretically" one boat has a higher "comfort ratio" than another, which is based entirely on its specs, isn't something that I would trust implicitly.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:15   #6

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
In the data of a sailboat on the sailboatdata, you find the section Calculations. When you click there on the right side on Defintions, you'll get a text explaining those numbers and how Comfort Ration and the CSF give an indication on what a boat should be used for.

As usual, people don't read the fine-print and start brandishing cluelessly those numbers as if they were the size of their willy.
Ah, I see, thanks.

To the OP, I would do some reading up on Ted Brewer's Comfort Ratio. It's not meaningless, but I wouldn't look to it to be some sort of rule.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:27   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The only thing I use sailboat data for is to check IJP, and even then I confirm it.

If this thread is about selecting a boat, well there are probably a half dozen current running threads on the same topic, and about 100 past.

If this thread is specifically trying to find boats that "defy" what sailboatdata data infers, I'm sure you'll find some discrepancy, and I'm sure some people will chime in with opinions of various quality.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:40   #8

The specs are often only as good as the base data being inputted. On some models there is scant official info available and what ends up on sailboatdata is a compilation from various sources, not all of them reliable. Thus, the sight managers are always open to revising the data when/if given new found information.

And yes, as previous posters have stated, this info should be viewed as a general guide not as a set in stone gospel. I personally find it useful to supplement missing info during online boat searches when for sale ads do not have adequate info on cabin layouts, rig dimensions, keel shapes, etc.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
I use SailboatData.com as a general reference for actual boat specs -- draft, beam, length over all, length of the water line, displacement, tankage -- etc.

"comfort ratio" , "capsize screening formula", and similar analytics I only pay passing attention to.

The first category, actual specs, are raw data that I can use to compare boats. (e.g. "this 40 ft. boat has a 6.5' draft vs this other 40 ft. boat has a 4'7" draft".)

the second category is someone else's conclusion as to what those specs mean. Theoretically, this boat will be faster, or more comfortable, or point higher, or whatever.

I prefer to come to my own conclusions as to what those specs mean -- and not blindly trust what someone else says they mean. Engineers have said that theoretically bumblebees can't fly, based on their specs. Yet they can and do fly. So just because SailboatData.com tells us that "theoretically" one boat has a higher "comfort ratio" than another, which is based entirely on its specs, isn't something that I would trust implicitly.

Bob
thank you Bob for your TRULY beautiful bumblebee analogy! as i don’t know where i’ll purchase ultimately. i don’t know where i’ll be coming or going from. so like most things keeping my mind open will create more possibilities. so many boats! thx
Old 09-02-2022, 07:06   #10

Well, i haven’t given much thought about high latitudes, but i’d like a boat tried and true to cross anything else. I do realize the importance of experience and plan to go where i want when i want, no destinations are equal.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I wasn't aware that sailboatdata defined boats into categories. I've been using that site for years and I don't recall ever seeing a data field for what a boat can be used for.
oh ya it’s pretty cool! filled with all sorts of data for the blender heads out here! but i thought my question captured at bit more quality in depth.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:08   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

There are other guides that may be more accessible.

https://sailboat.guide/discover/blue-water-boats

http://mahina.com/wp-content/uploads...e-Cruising.pdf

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/cla...ml/#liberty-28

Or here to see discussions about the lists and boats.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ist-92781.html
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:09   #13

thanks ��
Old 09-02-2022, 07:12   #14

Thank you i will add these to my list.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:14   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

If you're looking to compare boats using their specs, another great site is:
Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 3200+ boats

It lets you do head-to-head comparisons of two boats, but it also lets you search its database for boats with specific sets of standards. So if you want to find all the boats with boats that are 37 feet, that also have high motion comfort ratios, you can easily generate a list.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat