Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 08:17   #16

Re: Sailboat in a lift?

No, lots of people DON'T do this. It's a relative rarity.

And one of the big reasons is because it's generally not cost effective. A lift costs a lot of money, and is a lot to maintain - you also have to maintain a slip. Bottom paint or trailering are cheaper options.

There are many more people who keep their boat on a trailer, and don't have to purchase/maintain a waterfront property in order to do it.

On the other hand, if one already has waterfront property with a lift, they might go this direction. And some racers do it for an extra bit of edge.

It's worth entertaining the option, but be aware of the real costs.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:46   #17

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Call a few lift companies or local dock builders to get an idea of the cost. I've seen sailboats on lifts in many parts of Florida. The Jacksonville Rudder Club has several slips with lifts with what look like 30'+ boats on them. I think it is a great idea, but wonder if the boat has to be lowered everytime to board it.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
No, lots of people DON'T do this. It's a relative rarity.
Maybe where you are, but not around here. I see quite a fair number of sailboats in this size range (25' and less) that are stored on lifts around Tampa Bay.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Maybe where you are, but not around here. I see quite a fair number of sailboats in this size range (25' and less) that are stored on lifts around Tampa Bay.
I didn't say it doesn't happen. I said it's a relative rarity, due to cost.

Look around, even in Tampa, and get back to us.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:09   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I can think of one sailboat (a Merit 25) that I have ever seen on a lift, and that's after working in Bay Area marinas for over 18 years. My guess is the initial cost of buying the lift and installing it, combined with whatever inconvenience is associated with using it makes it a relatively unpopular choice.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:55   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

In Tampa where water tempratures are rarely below 70, and can climb into the 80's bottom growth is a much bigger problem than San Francisco with water temps in the low 50's.

Lifts in South Florida are pretty common up to around 30' at which point they become pretty rare. Since the cost starts to seriously outweigh the advantages.

If I were looking for a sailboat in S Florida I would seriously be thinking of a multihull. A corsair 750, or 24 come to mind. Both can pull the boards up and sail in inches of water, but have plenty of space for a couple.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:14   #22
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
In Tampa where water tempratures are rarely below 70, and can climb into the 80's bottom growth is a much bigger problem than San Francisco with water temps in the low 50's.
Don't kid yourself. Our temps range from the 60s most of the year to over 70 at the height if summer and we have the fouling growth to go along with it. Not saying it's as bad as Florida, but it's bad enough that bottoms need to be cleaned every 8 weeks.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:20   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I can think of one sailboat (a Merit 25) that I have ever seen on a lift, and that's after working in Bay Area marinas for over 18 years. My guess is the initial cost of buying the lift and installing it, combined with whatever inconvenience is associated with using it makes it a relatively unpopular choice.
With a Merit 25, the lift would probably cost more than the boat.
Old 08-04-2013, 16:25   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Finally, here is my question -- where is the cut-off draft-wise or length-wise or displacement-wise to realistically fit on a lift?"

And the answer is, how big is your wallet?

The engineering is a trivial exercise.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:36   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Here in SW Florida, boat lifts are very common. The capasitity of the lift is the limiting factor. Lifts under 18 thousand pounds are the norm, but many lift's can be upgraded to handle more with heavier cables, beams, and so on. As a general rule, it is rare to see a sailboat bigger than 30 ft on a lift, but with that said, I have seen as large as a 45 ft cat on a lift. I would also say that here in SW Florida 4 ft draft on a sailboat in a lift is about all that I have seen. But then again, most boats here are shoal draft and are in the 4 ft or less range.

I think a call to a lift manufacture would be able to answer most of the questions of the OP.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:43   #26

Boat: Traditional 30

As this appears to be a primarily North American thread, are you guys using boat bags over there? Great option for regular users of their boats and relatively cheap too.
http://www.sail-world.com/photos_201...%20bag_011.jpg

Of course its debatable whether the chlorine does more or less damage to the environment than antifoul. Some school of thought is that the chlorine breaks down so quickly its a much better option than ablatives which stay in the water for ever.

Having had some experience with them on J24s years ago, I am quite the fan.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:43   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Don't kid yourself. Our temps range from the 60s most of the year to over 70 at the height if summer and we have the fouling growth to go along with it. Not saying it's as bad as Florida, but it's bad enough that bottoms need to be cleaned every 8 weeks.
I have my bottom wiped every week. I shudder to think what it would look like after 8. Even the cruising boat gets wiped down every month. Less frequently than that and our diver charges extra because of the growth.

And I am not as far south as Florida.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:01   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Some Ozzie stole my idea?!

I'd just be concerned that if you put chlorine under the boat, it would attack the hull or worse, attack the stainless in the typical rudder post, and the seal on the rudder itself. Who wants to be the guinea pig for that?

Or do the bag people think just the bag, cutting off nutrients and oxygen, would be enough? How do you get the keel through that border, anyway?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:36   #29

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Some Ozzie stole my idea?!

I'd just be concerned that if you put chlorine under the boat, it would attack the hull or worse, attack the stainless in the typical rudder post, and the seal on the rudder itself. Who wants to be the guinea pig for that?

Or do the bag people think just the bag, cutting off nutrients and oxygen, would be enough? How do you get the keel through that border, anyway?
There are a lot of boats doing it (though its controversial). Mainly smaller racers. The bag is quite deep at the back. You enter from the back of the bag and pull the boat forward to the buoy. Once tied off, the back of the bag gathers up from the depths using a line that runs from port to starboard and basically seals off outside water.

Welcome to BoatSaver Boat Bags
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:47   #30

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

You need to read my thread on ways to keep a boat bottom clean.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ean-94347.html

The boat bag has this problem of the bag itself getting fouled.
A boat lift with floats like those used for jetskis has similiar issues.

You want straps that lift EVERYTHING out of the water.
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, sailboat