Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 23:27   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Sad news from Australian East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I had not heard of it before until you posted. It is intriguing based on the wiki article. It looks like the authorities did a thorough task in investigating it thought. no doubt in the end just one mistake after another.
Here is a old CF thread on Kaz II.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lead-8049.html
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 23:44   #17

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I had forgotten about that incident but can now recall video on TV of the Cat.
Just read the old thread and surprised no mention of drug deal gone bad which would be my thoughts with the fenders out.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:13   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sad news from Australian East Coast

Sad news indeed...
My condolences to family and friends..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 14:29   #19

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Just read the old thread and surprised no mention of drug deal gone bad which would be my thoughts with the fenders out.
Omg, learn something new everyday. Putting fenders out is a sign of a drug dealer

And there was me thinking they were to protect me boat when coming aside
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 14:40   #20

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Omg, learn something new everyday. Putting fenders out is a sign of a drug dealer

And there was me thinking they were to protect me boat when coming aside
Yes I totally agree with your comment on the fenders that's why I made the drug comment.
The area they were in other than another boat alongside there is absolutely no other reason to have them out.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 14:51   #21

Having just read that other thread one of the posters who is a regular to this day summed up that entire thread once the coroners report came out, 'not a great day in his cruising life that he had participated in such ridiculous speculation at the expense of other sailors' (not word for word).

Two men have unfortunately lost their lives. Two sailing brethren to us all. Members of the club of sailors. Can this time we perhaps not let the thread dissolve into conspiracies but just sympathise with the family and friends and only report on 'facts' as they become known.
Old 05-09-2015, 15:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Sad story. Sometimes, it feels that the east coast of Australia is the new Bermuda Triangle. The Kaz II story has always intrigued me. Very odd.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaz_II

Then there's the 1928 Schooner "Nina".
Kaz II is a Mystery.

Nina isn't, and didn't happen in Australian waters.

I don't think this will turn out to be a mystery either. Very sad for the families though.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 15:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Kaz II is a Mystery.

Nina isn't, and didn't happen in Australian waters.

I don't think this will turn out to be a mystery either. Very sad for the families though.
Kaz 2 isn't a mystery. It was an unfortunate incident that led to three men going missing. The exact circumstances of how they fell over is conjecture, but it was pretty clear there was no foul play and equally clear an accident occurred.

Nina went missing in a storm. No real mystery there either.
Old 05-09-2015, 16:11   #24

Boat: Top Hat 25, modified junk rig

No extreme winds at the time of the disappearance, but I do recall strong S to SW gusts around that time, however Stockton Bight is a notoriously shallow, and barren part of the coastline.
You virtually need to sail due east from Newcastle to avoid the shallow areas, that extend a surprisingly long distance offshore. Wind against the EAC could of developed steep seas quickly in that area.
Very, very sad indeed.
'Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live their lives in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat' Theodore Roosevelt
TopHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 16:30   #25

Boat: Top Hat 25, modified junk rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Possibly encountered a spot of strong east coast current (northerly) set against southerly weather???

But hard to imagine that would cause sudden sinking but might cause MOB.
If it was a MOB, & the dinghy was launched to aid retreival, you would probably expect the yacht to remain floating & washed up somewhere??
The yacht has, as yet not been found....
If you hear of any further news Wotname or anyone else, please let us know.
'Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live their lives in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat' Theodore Roosevelt
TopHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 16:42   #26

TH, thanks for the local perspective.

Yes, finding the yacht or it's wreckage will be very beneficial is knowing what may have happened and thus (perhaps) learning from this sad occurrence.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 05-09-2015, 16:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Here you go then:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-18035-2.html
Old 05-09-2015, 16:48   #28

Quote:
Kaz 2 isn't a mystery. It was an unfortunate incident that led to three men going missing. The exact circumstances of how they fell over is conjecture, but it was pretty clear there was no foul play and equally clear an accident occurred.

Nina went missing in a storm. No real mystery there either.

What are you talking about? Kaz II sure IS a mystery. Fenders deployed (as if another vessel tied up), 3 men missing, no report of heavy seas. The list of odd details related to the Kaz II mystery is extensive. Salon details, cockpit details, etc.

Last report from the Nina was "running under bare poles", so we can imagine the fun night they were having. The old wooden hull probably just gave up the ghost under heavy seas. It happens.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 17:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
What are you talking about? Kaz II sure IS a mystery. Fenders deployed (as if another vessel tied up), 3 men missing, no report of heavy seas. The list of odd details related to the Kaz II mystery is extensive. Salon details, cockpit details, etc.

Last report from the Nina was "running under bare poles", so we can imagine the fun night they were having. The old wooden hull probably just gave up the ghost under heavy seas. It happens.
If you read the coroners report and even that thread you suggested, then NO, there is no mystery.

The Fenders being deployed is nothing special and it does not just mean a vessel tied up at all. On any given weekend, have a look at how many vessels sail around on Sydney harbour with their fenders deployed? Hell, I don't bother bringing them in most of the time, or I just lay them on deck. In any case, fenders don't mean a conspiracy.

Lack of heavy seas was a fact, it doesn't add to a mystery..

All of this has been done to death, there has been a coroners inquest. There's no mystery. They fell off.. simple. No mysterious or suspicious circumstances. The exact sequence of events and circumstances we don't know. But it was simply an unfortunate accident that's all.
Old 05-09-2015, 17:27   #30

Quote:
If you read the coroners report and even that thread you suggested, then NO, there is no mystery.

The Fenders being deployed is nothing special and it does not just mean a vessel tied up at all. On any given weekend, have a look at how many vessels sail around on Sydney harbour with their fenders deployed? Hell, I don't bother bringing them in most of the time, or I just lay them on deck. In any case, fenders don't mean a conspiracy.

Lack of heavy seas was a fact, it doesn't add to a mystery..

All of this has been done to death, there has been a coroners inquest. There's no mystery. They fell off.. simple. No mysterious or suspicious circumstances. The exact sequence of events and circumstances we don't know. But it was simply an unfortunate accident that's all.
Au contraire, mon ami. How can you have a TRUE 'coroners report' with no bodies?

Sure, maybe all three went over in some freak accident, yet it's still just a guess at this point, and will probably remain so. Thus, a "mystery" as to what actually happened.

Fenders deployed near harbor is understandable, yet they were many nautical miles up the coast from their departure point. Some local sailors have mentioned that they were 'novice' sailors, so maybe they just never got around to stowing the fenders.

Personally, I say "alien abduction", drug deal gone bad, or well-planned disappearance to a secret jungle 'clothing optional' sex commune.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, east coast