Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2023, 22:40   #76

Boat: Other peoples
Re: Retirement - what does it mean to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Actually, thatís the only one that makes sense to me as well.

Thatís the steady as she goes type of thing instead of picking certain items like real estate or categories like that.

Thatís investing in the general economy and thatís the safest way to do it in my opinion as well.

I was just curious if there was something tricky. But no. You did it just the right way.
Just like to point out that real estate is steady as she goes as well. Just like funds its better to sit on for a decade or so.
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 22:59   #77

I had dreams of sailing across oceans in my retirement.
As I mentiooned previously, health knocked that on the head, but iin my enforced early retirement I got to sail seas, visit islands, help friends build a beautiful resort overseas (for me to retire at), and recover from losing two of my last three yachts to cyclones.

Retirement at whatever age, and at whatever our means when the time arrives, is still an adventure.
Even the 'bad bits' are memories . . .

I've anchored with and made friends with, people with boats that probably cost them much of their available funds. And we all took our dinghies to similar bits of reef to catch lunch or dinner. We ate the same mud crabs from the same creeks. Our entertaining styles were different, but they had no problem coming aboard a little 26 footer for a cockpit dinner and drinks, nor did the most 'snobbish looking' of them fail to invite the scruffy looking bloke on the weather beaten little yacht, for dinner or lunch, or a picnic in a bay somewhere around an island.

Retirement usually doesn't care how wealthy you are. It cares about where you are in the moment . . .
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:38   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
For me retirement is the ability do what both my wife and I want to do.
Like most couples we have different things we want to do so we will have some give and take.

We think we are going to do the following
1. Maybe downsize to a smaller ranch home in the next 5 years.
2. Most likely stay in Northeast Ohio but things may change.
3. During the Winter (Jan, Feb and March) travel around the US.
Maybe do the snowbird thing a few years, maybe get a camper and travel or maybe do a cruise or bus trips.
4. I have started 2 small boating business and expect to have them for the next 10 years.
See this thread for more info about my businesses
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ss-212463.html
5. Do more volunteer work.
I have been in the big brother program for the past 5 years and it is great fun.
My wife will do some volunteer work at the schools, when the kids were growing up she did lots of volunteer work at he schools.
6. Take some college courses on subjects I am interested in.
They are free when you are over 60.
7. My wife always wanted to learn things like pottery and I think I would like to join her.
8. Have some solo adventures (Sailing and hiking/camping)
Sailing from Cleveland to the North Channel, Lake Erie Solo challenge, etc.
Last winter I started getting back into weekend mini hiking/camping trips.
Being 66 I only hike about 5 miles per day and camp for the night.
I would like to do some longer trips when I retire, maybe about 3 days at a time.
9. Spend time with our 3 boys and their families.
Well my wife did our first bus trip mini vacation to see it we would like it.
It was a 3 day 2 night trip for Cleveland OH to Mackinac island MI.

This trip was very well organized and had the right amount of group activities and on your own time.

So we will be adding bus trips to our retirement list.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 01:48   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Here's What Retirement on a Boat or RV Looks Like in America” ~ by Anne Tergesen & Veronica Dagher, in the Wall Street Journal, Oct. 21, 2023
https://www.wsj.com/personal-finance/retirement/retirement-america-boat-rv-nomadic-fac65704
or https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/reti...f4450ac2&ei=27

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 10:12   #80

Boat: Imexus 28

Just over 12 months ago I replied to this thread. At the time we were under 18 months into our partially covid induced early retirement. ( vaccine hesitant sacking contributing to this)
We moved from two outrageously expensive homes in NSW (Sydney and rural tourist town) to a ridiculously cheap directly waterfront home with jetty on The Murray River in rural South East South Australia.
We purchased it and its location completely sight unseen online during the Covid lockdowns just as a base for a trailer sailer, slide on camper and travelling style retirement.
In the last 12 months since that post we have lived on our trailer sailer for over 3 months with the longest continuous stint being 9 weeks. We have also lived in our AWD truck mounted slide on camper for over 4 months with the longest continuous being 3 months most of which was touring Tasmania. We have also backpacked, walked and climbed extensively.
During the remaining period we have travelled by air to stay with and assist my elderly (and at that time injured) mother in Perth for a few weeks and the remaining period was spent at our new home base.
At home we spent time upgrading and modifying our yacht and camper, tending (and repairing due to absence) our garden which produces a significant amount of fruit and veg, entertaining visiting/staying friends and relatives, locally sailing, kayaking, walking, biking along with the general requirements of life from shopping to medical appointments and the like.
Whilst living out in The Whitsundays in Northern Queensland on the yacht we purchased again here in Wellington East but this time with local knowledge and again sight unseen due to being on holiday remote cruising.
With an eye to the future the new home is single level (current one is living upstairs, two level) and on well over twice the land area and triple the waterfrontage with a nicer view and its own boat ramp in addition to also having its own jetty as well.
We again purchased cheaper than perhaps the worst freestanding home in Sydney despite some very good price growth here since our original purchase in mid 2021.
We are having a blast and can highly recommend downtrading to a cheap retirement home to free up the funds to retire early and travel especially as neither of us had family close by to our previous homes anyway.
We know our late life recombination partnership has improved both our lives and our finances dramatically as we joke one plus one equals three in terms of financial wealth, health and happiness.
Having one independent daughter each and being of close to equivalent wealth (despite a 7 year age gap) upon meeting nearly five years ago now has made this all much simpler.
My divorce was much later in life than Clareís, both of which had left us with little to no money or property but both being hard workers, smart savers and investors had seen us both buy and pay off our homes in 15 and 10 years respectively.
I know we are both very fortunate to be living in still the Lucky Country Australia and to have experienced such dramatic price growth in the homes we both sacrificed a lot to buy and relatively quickly pay off.
Retirement and our choices has meant the freedom to travel, sail and adventure hopefully for many years to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	289964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6655.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	289965  

Name:	IMG_2225.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	289966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3395.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	289967  

Name:	IMG_4671.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	289968  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 12:45   #81

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Retirement to me (one year in) is not having to go to work each day on a schedule dictacted by my need to earn an income. We have only a modest retirement income, but it is plenty to enjoy life and go cruising. We've been doing it so long that it is easy for us, and I know for me personally it costs us less than half as much as living on land so it is easier on our budget than staying home. The hardest part of retirement for us is taking care of aged parents in their 90s who need lots of care, meaning we can't really take off and sail long distances, which is what we would like to do. Instead, we make do with when we can break away, and we're lucky to sail out of southern New England that we love so much. There's no sitting around in our household. My wife still works part time, and between the house, parents, the boat, etc. we are very busy.

Tags
men, retirement