Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 18:05   #1

Retire in 2

Hi all just joined and dream of retiring soon (this decade lol) from the Coast Guard after
20 years (6 Marine include) . I have a 37 ' toy hauler and now want to get at 30 plus coastal cruiser. Haven't sailed before but I have the rules of the road down lol! So naturally I am looking to buy a nice coastal cruiser to enjoy. The goal is to live on the boat then live in the rv the rest of the year. I am looking for advise on picking a decent boat so if I could solicit the top choices of boats under 15000 to help with this that would be great.

Sent from my TAB-840_G using Tapatalk
TandA Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 18:21   #2
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
Re: Retire in 2

Your price range will limit what is available. Based on that price, you should tell us what part of the world you will keep the boat. I suspect that you will get some very different answers based on location.
I have a 2002 32 foot Hunter that is up for sale in Florida. It is a great boat for day and weekend sailing, in fact we just motor/sailed from Corpus Christi to Tampa in 29 days on the GIWW. Some downsides, for example: it does not have AC, it was a bit small to spend that long in close quarters. It does however have a heater and radar and structure scanning sonar. My wife and I agreed when we got to Tampa that the only way it would have been a better trip would be to have a bigger boat (with AC) and to plan a longer trip. (YES, you heard that right, the Admiral said I should get a bigger boat!)

OOPS! just realized I was hijacking your thread... back to the original question. You should do a lot of looking to see what is available near you, or near where you want the boat. The cost to move it will not fit in your budget. Things to look for in this dream boat (in no particular order):
Can you live with the condition of the boat?
Can you fix it?
Does it leak?
What is the condition of the motor, the various systems?
How bad are the sails?
How old is the boat? While at first glance that might seem like an unimportant question, the older fiberglass boats that were built into the mid '70's are very sturdy boats (the fiberglass is very thick) some of the boats have issues with de-lamination of the material. For these types of questions, come back with a specific manufacturer, model (length) and year of construction.
What are you going to do on/with this boat? Sit at the dock and never take it out? If this is the case, find out what the slip fee's are in your area and consider renting an apartment near the water for the months that you want to be there. It will probably be cheaper than a "Dockominium". If you want to actually sail it, consider spending more and getting a boat in slightly better condition, or perhaps smaller and not living aboard, but sailing more.
Bottom line good luck with this idea.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 18:29   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

If you buy a coastal cruising boat for $15,000, I would recommend that you have at least that much in reserve for repairs and upgrades.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 10:48   #4

Wow! Thanks for the info! Id like to sail the boat up and down the east coast and the gulf of mexico. Well be rv ing part time and sailing the other. I see the need for money for up grades. What do you think a price for a cruiser in good shape with a/c radar good sails and sounder 35-45 foot?
Old 17-12-2013, 11:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandA Hunt View Post
Wow! Thanks for the info! Id like to sail the boat up and down the east coast and the gulf of mexico. Well be rv ing part time and sailing the other. I see the need for money for up grades. What do you think a price for a cruiser in good shape with a/c radar good sails and sounder 35-45 foot?
Kind of depends on your interpretation of good. Also by a/c do you mean air conditioning or alternating current (like having a generator)? Assume you refer to air conditioning.

Even with a minimal idea of good for a boat with all that in working order I would start with at least $30-$40,000 for a 35' and higher for a 40'. Even then be prepared search for a deal and to invest a lot of elbow grease to get the boat ready to actually sail.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 12:03   #6

Thanks what s your opinion on catamarans? Vs mono hull?
Old 17-12-2013, 12:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandA Hunt View Post
Thanks what s your opinion on catamarans? Vs mono hull?
I can't believe you asked that question. Like walking into a bar and asking everyone if they are Republican or Democrat. Be assured that things are about to hit the fan.

And, there are only 4,875,612 previous (and sometimes heated) discussions on the subject just on this forum. Probably twice that many on other forums. Do a little search and be ready to spend several hours reading.

Short summary

- Cats generally have more room for the length but not twice as much. So a 40' cat might have 50% more room than a 40' mono.

- Cats cost more per linear foot but not necessarily per sq ft.

- Cats sail level. Monos heel over.

- The motion is different, not necessarily better. Monos have a slower some say eaier motion but are heeled over. A cat can have a quicker, somewhat jerky motion in certain conditions. Some like one, some like the other.

- Sometimes have trouble finding dock space and haul out for a cat.

- Cats don't roll at anchor.

- Cats can be faster. How much faster depends on how much gear you load on.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 13:40   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Good cats can't be had for 15K either, well several Hobies can I guess
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 14:33   #9

Thanks for the info! And the warning.
Old 17-12-2013, 14:47   #10

And when you get closer to finding one, this might help:

Boat Inspection Trip Tips - SailboatOwners.com

Happy Hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 19:22   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Don't you want to know if you should carry a gun?
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote