Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 14:01   #91

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Reply from DNR re: Guns on Boats in MD

Quote:
Not quite right. The state registration is required for documented vessels only if they are being operated in that state. Of course we can get into the fun and games that goes with visiting other states, but once out of the US only the federal document is required, and no law is broken by not being currently registered within a state.
That isn't quite right. For example, Florida requires all boats to carry state registration whether or not they are Federally documented. I know, it doesn't sound like it comply's with Federal law, but many boaters have been stopped for this in Florida. However, that will only be enforced by local Florida officials, not the CG, in my experience. Some states, like Massachusetts where my boat is currently, do not require any sort of state registration for Federally documented vessels.

In short, document your boat for the least hassle in most states and when you sail outside the country, and here on the East Coast make sure you also have state registration if you go to Florida.
Old 21-01-2012, 14:12   #92

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

My point was that state registration was not needed outside the US. States generally do require a state registration in the primary use state, and after a time the state you are in becomes the primary use state - that is the fun and games I wasn't going to get into as it has been discussed a million times here.
Old 21-01-2012, 14:15   #93

OK--get your gist. My basic point was that if you don't have a USCG document for some reason (boat too small, etc.) you'd better have a current state registration from some state to prove ownership even when outside of the USA. That seems to be the first document the USCG wants to see as well as foreign officials when you check in to some other country--they want to know that you are the legitimate owner of your boat.
Old 21-01-2012, 14:29   #94

Boat: Seafarer 26
Although I agree that the local pd's in fl love their boats paid for with homeland security money they have always left me alone. They do check all the fisherman out in the bay though. Could be because I am an older women sailing and wearing a PDF. I would think you would get stopped alot in south Florida. Lots of drugs come in down there.
Old 21-01-2012, 14:30   #95

Yes, but I would go a little further than that. For use outside of the US it is best to have a federal document. Most ports will accept a state registration, at least after a little convincing, but not all. The good folks in Guadeloupe have been known to stop US boats and fine them for not being documented, refusing to accept state registration. Of course once they have your money you are free to continue...
Old 21-01-2012, 14:31   #96

Boat: Westsail 32

There are many secure hiding places on my boat that would be very difficul for anyone who does not know the vessel to find. What do you think chances on a random stop that the Federales would tear the boat to pieces looking for a firearm?
Old 21-01-2012, 14:38   #97

I would consider the chances very low that they would be looking for firearms. The chances that they would tear your boat apart looking for drugs are higher, and would depend a lot on how you appeared and acted. If they did find a gun, count on a year or two in jail - gunrunning is frowned upon south of the border. If you choose to do the crime, be prepared to do the time. Their laws do apply to Americans, even if Americans think they are exempt.
Old 21-01-2012, 14:38   #98

Quote:
What do you think chances on a random stop that the Federales would tear the boat to pieces looking for a firearm?
The chances are low, but if you do get caught after lieing about it you will be in very hot water.
Old 21-01-2012, 16:01   #99

Boat: Seafarer 26
I would not want to chance it. A flare gun works very well.
Old 22-01-2012, 02:00   #100

Many places consider flare pistols as pistols (funny about that). That includes New York and the Netherlands. The self-contained flares do appear to be legal everywhere, and are better in emergencies. They also happen to be quite lethal...
Old 22-01-2012, 04:45   #101

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
I would not want to chance it. A flare gun works very well.
Epecially like the old ays when many carried a 25mm flare gun with a machined SS tube to fit and bored to 12ga. Shot 25mm flares, 12ga flares and a boat load of 12 shotgun shells...

a 12-18 inch piece of stainless tubing didn't look out of place on most boats.
Old 22-01-2012, 05:28   #102
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
There are many secure hiding places on my boat that would be very difficul for anyone who does not know the vessel to find. What do you think chances on a random stop that the Federales would tear the boat to pieces looking for a firearm?
The chances are probaby lower of their finding it than of you losing your boat if they do.
Old 22-01-2012, 05:53   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
The chances are probaby lower of their finding it than of you losing your boat if they do.
Well put Don. It's not worth the gamble to me.
Old 22-01-2012, 07:18   #104

Quote:
There are many secure hiding places on my boat that would be very difficul for anyone who does not know the vessel to find.
I wouldn't bet on it. They've seen every hiding place you can imagine, and many that you can't. They spend their lives finding hiding places that people thought would be very difficult for them to find. All those places that you think to yourself "they'll never look there" are exactly the places that they WILL look.

And like others said, the consequences if they find a gun that you said you didn't have are severe. Having your boat confiscated will be the least of your worries. You could spend years in some third-world rat-hole of a prison.

If you want to carry a gun, that's up to you. But I would strongly recommend against lying about it. If you carry a gun, declare it, and follow all the procedures. If you don't want to do that then leave the gun behind.
Old 22-01-2012, 07:38   #105

Boat: Union Polaris cutter, 36'

Quote:
Dont think its worth the risk, and what good is it to you sealed in a ziplock strapped to the underside of the fuel tank in the deepest part of your bilge anyway?
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns