Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 13:53   #61

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Reply from DNR on Guns on Boats in MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I have wondered about how having a gun on board was effected legally when the boat moves from state to state as it crusies along. We always seem to only talk about going to different countries. But in the US as far as guns laws each state is different.

Whats the chance the local water cop is going to know the answer if he/she boards you for a "safety inspection"?
About the same chance of finding a chef that will cook rack of lamb and potato chips for dinner. about 1 in a million
Old 07-12-2011, 14:27   #62
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Reply from DNR on Guns on Boats in MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
About the same chance of finding a chef that will cook rack of lamb and potato chips for dinner. about 1 in a million
In my real life experience the chances of having rack of lamb with potato chips if you have a chef on the boat is .................... 100%

Sorry for the thread drift off of guns.
Old 07-12-2011, 14:29   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reply from DNR on Guns on Boats in MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
In my real life experience the chances of having rack of lamb with potato chips if you have a chef on the boat is .................... 100%

Sorry for the thread drift off of guns.
Rack of Lamb with Chips.... how crass......

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 07-12-2011, 14:34   #64

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Reply from DNR re: Guns on Boats in MD

they were flavored chips
Old 07-12-2011, 20:09   #65

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

just an FYI because of all the comments about NY being "extremely restrictive". This is absolutely true for handguns and true for all guns in NY City. But long guns are subject to virtually no restrictions that I know of outside of the city. I live in upstate NY and all you need to buy a shotgun or rifle is a valid drivers license. The only check the perform is the Federal one. Lots of people have hunting rifles and shotguns in their cars during the season and it is never an issue. Maybe it is different on boats but I cant imagine why. Handguns are another story - they REALLY try to discourage people from running around with concealed handguns unless they have a really good reason.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:39   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I have a question for you guys. Since this is a thread about the legalities of guns and not gun wither we should have them or not...Lets say I had a 30.06 that I wanted to keep on board- all the time. If I disassembled it to where the stock is in one place, the barrel in another and the ammo in another, and the small pieces in my toolbox- do I have a gun on board, or just a collection of parts???
Old 08-12-2011, 10:45   #67

Boat: Seafarer 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I have a question for you guys. Since this is a thread about the legalities of guns and not gun wither we should have them or not...Lets say I had a 30.06 that I wanted to keep on board- all the time. If I disassembled it to where the stock is in one place, the barrel in another and the ammo in another, and the small pieces in my toolbox- do I have a gun on board, or just a collection of parts???
If you have the gun's receiver it would count as a gun.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:45   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reply from DNR re: Guns on Boats in MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
You sound just like IRAN....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12   #69

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

If a US sailboat is Federally Documented (not state registered) then what guns is that boat allowed to carry overseas? (Ignore, for the moment, the laws of any country visited) The nominal home port is just a port of convenience, really. Does the US have carry laws in this case? If so, what are they? Or are a state's laws supposed to apply to a vessel overseas?
Old 08-12-2011, 18:47   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
If a US sailboat is Federally Documented (not state registered) then what guns is that boat allowed to carry overseas? (Ignore, for the moment, the laws of any country visited) The nominal home port is just a port of convenience, really. Does the US have carry laws in this case? If so, what are they? Or are a state's laws supposed to apply to a vessel overseas?
IMO - if international:
Coast guard will not care.
A state (police) "may" care only if you are in that state.
if os the state will not know or care..
Old 08-12-2011, 18:51   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
just an FYI because of all the comments about NY being "extremely restrictive". This is absolutely true for handguns and true for all guns in NY City. But long guns are subject to virtually no restrictions that I know of outside of the city. I live in upstate NY and all you need to buy a shotgun or rifle is a valid drivers license. The only check the perform is the Federal one. Lots of people have hunting rifles and shotguns in their cars during the season and it is never an issue. Maybe it is different on boats but I cant imagine why. Handguns are another story - they REALLY try to discourage people from running around with concealed handguns unless they have a really good reason.
this is true.
NY does however have more restrictive assault rifle laws than many states.
Boat is no different than home in NY.
NYC is very strict no matter what.
Old 08-12-2011, 22:39   #72

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
The reason I asked is that I had the opportunity to buy a rifle in South Africa, but the shop needed proof that I was allowed to carry. The US Consulate didn't want to touch the issue () but I didn't know what other authority to ask. Who could issue me with the proof I needed?
Old 08-12-2011, 23:58   #73

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

You guy's better get bullet hole repair kits because when the shooting starts on both sides fiberglass looses. As far as traveling thru areas of kidnappers and gangs in boats try traveling in a flotilla of boats thru those waters, like a wagon train in indian country in the old west. A great idea of trailing several over 100 ft of rope out your stearn to get tangled in uninvited guests motors, no bullits fired.

My point is there are other ways like using wisdom first then I use my 4570 with 300 grain bullets and blow up there motor thru about anything.
Old 09-12-2011, 00:39   #74

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
If a US sailboat is Federally Documented (not state registered) then what guns is that boat allowed to carry overseas?
The Federal firearms laws apply to US vessels everywhere. So National Firearms Act (NFA) "Title II" sawed-off shotguns and automatic weapons are out, unless you meet the ATF registration requirements (with advanced approval from the US Attorney General). The details of the weapon matter as there are a number of ways to get classified this way. Of course heavy weapons (rifles larger than .50 cal, RPGs, mortars, grenades, etc) are in this class. But so too is a flare pistol IF there is also a converter and ammo that puts it into the category when assembled. And so on. If interested, read this: Title II weapons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a practical matter once half way around the world it is not likely that the US Coast Guard would board your boat and arrest you for having a full auto AK-47, but the $10k fine plus 10 years in jail (plus forfeiture of the weapon) should probably give you pause to think about it.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:21   #75

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

UK law says you have a firearm if you have certain parts (mostly the bits under pressure like receiver).
Parts of dissasembled amunition can also count under section 5 and then to mandatory gaol .
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns