Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 12:35   #1

Boat: Passport
Rental Car For Cruiser

We sold everything including our vehicle to cruise. Looking for current cruisers ideas on how to minimize the rental insurance costs. We are in Saint Augustine and they want $30 per day for their insurance alone. What are you all doing? Thank you in advance.
DCRRenaissance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:40   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Rental Car For Cruiser

When we lived outside the US and would come back for a visit, I'd just bite the bullet and pay for liability insurance on the rental car. Comprehensive was covered by my credit card company as a benefit of using the card. I never discovered a way around it, other than going uncovered, which is a really scary roll of the dice.
Old 05-12-2015, 16:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe AMEX and a few others may cover you if you use their card to pay. Call though to be sure. Depending on who insures your boat may cover you or can do an add on? worth a call anyway.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 17:42   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you had a good relationship with your previous auto insurer, sometimes, some of them will write a "liability only" policy. Rarer still that they will write one after you've totally quit, but worth asking around. (Of course, you can always buy a POS and use that to get a new policy, then scrap it and try to keep liability only.)

And then of course, there's Uber and Lfyt and the like, or Zipcar. One of the big rental companies (Hertz? Enterprise?) is supposed to be doing a competitor for them as well, a flat hourly rental rate.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 17:59   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

We rent cars all the time. If my wife rents the car she buys their insurance at some crazy price. I go with the insurance that you get with a credit card. It's a set-up that pays if no one else will. I think it's stupid to buy additional insurance if your CC will take take care of it.
The only time we have needed insurance was when somebody shot out the driver side window of a rental. My wife had rented the car so the whole thing was easy to deal with because we had the rental car company insurance.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 18:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I think his concern is liability. If you have an umbrella policy I'd guess they'd require you buy the rental companies coverage. I have a small umbrella from GEICO and they are very helpful on the phone and cost is pretty low.
Old 05-12-2015, 20:43   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I find a "Slim Jim" works well...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:34   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I've never had a credit card that would cover liability. Many will cover comprehensive, which is damage to the rental car only.

Liability is where the big exposure exists. If you cause an accident and injure someone, without liability insurance you could lose everything you own and more. Not having liability insurance is foolish in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:53   #9

Try Rentalcargroup - not to be confused with Rentalcars.com as with them you have to pay the excess in an accident.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:22   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I've never had a credit card that would cover liability. Many will cover comprehensive, which is damage to the rental car only.

Liability is where the big exposure exists. If you cause an accident and injure someone, without liability insurance you could lose everything you own and more. Not having liability insurance is foolish in my opinion.
Oops. Guess I've been lucky and I have been too cheap. Renting cars in the foreign countries we have been seems different than here in the US. They are very friendly and don't bother offering insurance. The scare stories of a gringo getting in a wreck and insurance doing no good at all are pretty common.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:47   #11

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

A64Pilot and Boatguy30 hit it on the head. Check with your present marine insurance carrier. Like Boatguy30 I have Geico on my vehicles and boat. Their marine coverage was less than anyone else and I've had a very long experience with them... and they with me.

I also find it easier to do all my car rental stuff online vs at the counter. They aren't as overt in the attempt to "sell" more than you need. I tend to use National and Enterprise the most. Sign up for their loyalty programs first.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:51   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico NE 400
Smile Re: Rental Car For Cruiser

Insurance aside, we always use Enterprise in the States. Their weekend rate taken from Friday noon to Monday noon is only about $30! AND dont forget they pick you up and drop you off!
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:14   #13

Boat: Outbound 46

As someone without a US residence, we have had to deal with this every time we come to the States. With our European address, we have found that Hertz automatically includes collision and also liability insurance on every rental. Their prices don't seem any higher than we spent when living in the US. Hertz isn't the cheapest outfit, but they do have some service advantages like extended opening hours.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRRenaissance View Post
We sold everything including our vehicle to cruise. Looking for current cruisers ideas on how to minimize the rental insurance costs. We are in Saint Augustine and they want $30 per day for their insurance alone. What are you all doing? Thank you in advance.
www.protectyourbubble.com
$ 6 per day Rental car
$ 3 per day Roadside assistance
st_pete-sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRRenaissance View Post
Most Gold Visa and mastercardss Will cover it

Or

Protectyourbubble..com

Geico has a nonowned auto policy
st_pete-sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser