Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2018, 15:43   #1

Removing drop down centerboard from 1971 C&C Redline

Dear Forum,

I am hoping I can find some assistant on this site with removing the drop down centreboard (daggerboard) on a 1971 C&C Redline 25 sailboat. The centreboard is sandwiched within the keel horizontally. In the cockpit, there is a wheel with a cable attached to the centreboard. When the wheel is released the centreboard should fall down freely and the wheel and cable are used to pulled up the centreboard. Unfortunately, the front of the centreboard has separated and swelled and does not drop down anymore on its own. I can get into the water and pull it down. It does retract up with the wheel and cable. I would like to pull the centreboard out and have it fixed at a fiberglass shop and clean the gap for the centreboard in the keel.. Under the floor board in the cabin, there is a bolt which is horizontal at the top of the fiberglass molding which looks like the groove for the centreboard. My questions is if I remove this bolt when the boat is on the hard, will the centreboard pull out from between the keel? Is the bolt holding in a bracket which the centreboard moves into a vertical position? Will the bracket and centreboard come out together? If the centreboard does come out with removing the bolt, is it difficult to get back in after repairing? Also, if anyone has drawings for this type of keel and drop down centreboard, it would be greatly appreciated.
RodSzarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 22:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Removing drop down centerboard from 1971 C&C Redline

Don't know your boat specifically but center boards typically pivot on a pin at the top of the board. The pin goes through a hole in the board. Pull the pin or bolt out and board should drop fee. Disconnect the lifting cable and your done. The board will not be light so be careful support it as you pull the pin and lower the board.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 04:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Removing drop down centerboard from 1971 C&C Redline

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rod.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard