Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 09:11   #271
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
It appears that Eric on other forums is deleting and changing posts that in retrospect are damaging.... NOT KOOL. It makes his side of story worse. (in my opinion)

makes you wonder if indeed the whole episode was not premeditated.......
Nah - If premeditated it would have been deleted long ago.

I think he is trying to cover some damaging posts. It's all starting to look so transparent now.

Cleaning the internet is a fools errand. I rather clean my bilge again.

Sad really...
Old 11-07-2014, 09:36   #272

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

A whole hoard of CF'rs searching to find all his hypocrisy!

The sad fact is donations are going to be very hard to raise in the future when someone really needs it after this debacle.
This is the actual damage he has done for cruisers.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:38   #273

Quote:
It appears that Eric on other forums is deleting and changing posts that in retrospect are damaging.... NOT KOOL. It makes his side of story worse. (in my opinion)

makes you wonder if indeed the whole episode was not premeditated.......
Naw, just that he has no understanding of the fact that anything that goes out on the web is out there forever and if it's important, it can be retrieved.

Unless he can come up with a darn good excuse for the judge, manipulating his web presense to delete items that are damaging to his case is probalby worse than just leaving them up and claiming they are being taken out of context.

It's one thing to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar...It's another to try and put the partially chewed cookie back in the jar.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:47   #274
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Naw, just that he has no understanding of the fact that anything that goes out on the web is out there forever and if it's important, it can be retrieved.

Unless he can come up with a darn good excuse for the judge, manipulating his web presense to delete items that are damaging to his case is probalby worse than just leaving them up and claiming they are being taken out of context.

It's one thing to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar...It's another to try and put the partially chewed cookie back in the jar.
great similie.......

it all got WEIRD after the 3rd of april when charlotte went nuts
i guess eric had no other choice BUT to push the button........everything after that point is a fabrication....
i see they have taken down all the relevent blog posts from the passage....on the RH site.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:56   #275

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
SNIP

Cleaning the internet is a fools errand. I rather clean my bilge again.

SNIP
Thread winner.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:04   #276

Quote:
great similie.......

it all got WEIRD after the 3rd of april when charlotte went nuts
i guess eric had no other choice BUT to push the button........everything after that point is a fabrication....
i see they have taken down all the relevent blog posts from the passage....on the RH site.
Another thought is, maybe Charlotte pressed the button and then informed Eric of what she did

Also, seems to be any defense could get the blog posts. We are continually told that anything placed on the Internet is forever there.

Plus, many people posted quotes on the RH threads here, so in the very least, there are snapshots of what they said.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:08   #277

Boat: too many

Maybe I just see things from a different perspective.

Eric leaves on this passage stocked up with meds should Lyra have a relapse.

She does but his sat phone provider turns off his service.

SAR arrives on scene with a working sat phone and is able to administer the meds on board via phone consultation.

Lyra shows improvement.

I believe if Eric could have received updated dosage via consult on his sat phone, the red bottom wouldn't have been activated and they would have completed this passage.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:19   #278

I believe I remember Lyra received a different antibiotic when The SAR team boarded.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:35   #279
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

With all the focus on the Sat phone...why didn't he HF radio work?

As a former net manager/controller I've talked and listened in on check-ins every year from cruisers departing Mexico almost all the way across the pacific. So with a working HF radio a phone patch could have been done and the medical issues worked out. Why wasn't the HF working? Who gets sued for that?

I agree with Eric when he posted how unreliable a sat phone can be. We had one for "emergencys' as well but once I found out how shitty they can be, I would never trust one as my lifeline to saftey. I would toss it overboard and relay on my HF radio any day.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:38   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Maybe I just see things from a different perspective.

Eric leaves on this passage stocked up with meds should Lyra have a relapse.

She does but his sat phone provider turns off his service.

SAR arrives on scene with a working sat phone and is able to administer the meds on board via phone consultation.

Lyra shows improvement.

I believe if Eric could have received updated dosage via consult on his sat phone, the red bottom wouldn't have been activated and they would have completed this passage.
The electronics were all flooded and water was in short supply, questionable if it would last the expected three weeks or so needed to reach the destination given that the standing rigging was compromised and might well have caused more damage to the deck/hull causing more leaking which the bilge pump was already having trouble keeping up with.

There were also claims that part of the problem for the little girl was she was being bounced around in an unfriendly seaway and simply getting off a small bouncy boat was a factor in her getting better.

Even if no one on board was ill the boat was in bad shape and more than likely would have suffered more damage if subject to any more bad weather. It was never a fast boat at best and with chainplates pulling out of the hull reducing sail would be the smart move which would make the boat even slower.

Even if a safe harbor was close by navigating in possibly small passages in the reef might present a problem with no electronics.

Not saying it would be impossible, just that the little girl being sick was not the only problem.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:39   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

As a former net manager/controller I've talked and listened in on check-ins every year from cruisers departing Mexico almost all the way across the pacific. So with a working HF radio a phone patch could have been done and the medical issues worked out. Why wasn't the HF working? Who gets sued for that?

I agree with Eric when he posted how unreliable a sat phone can be. We had one for "emergencys' as well but once I found out how shitty they can be, I would never trust one as my lifeline to saftey. I would toss it overboard and relay on my HF radio any day.
I believe he mentioned that the boat was lacking in power, and that there was an ingress of seawater due to the knockdown on his electronics and his VHF and SSB was not working...

Although he also mentioned that when the plane showed up his VHF started crackling and made some noises.

A good lesson to do all to make electronics as safe as possible.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:40   #282

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
I believe I remember Lyra received a different antibiotic when The SAR team boarded.
my guess is the original physician had the kid on amoxicillin.. the kid presents with rash..most likely an allergy...so the switch to clindamycin.
a week with the blue pill and the kid is better..

(i'm thinking i'd want amoxicillin and clindamycin in my medicine cabinet..and obviously know how&when to take it)
Old 11-07-2014, 10:40   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
It does seem that for satphone airtime resellers, if they're going to swap out one SIM for another, for whatever reason, the standard operating procedure should be to call or text the affected satphone and confirm it's not in a combat zone in Afghanistan at the moment, or mid-Pacific. . . . Not a real stretch of the imagination to figure that most satphone users are not sitting at home collecting their mail. Very odd that SatPhoneStore would do something like that.

I don't think so. I think it's pretty much the norm for big companies (like cell phone or sat phone) to give really shitty service and tell you tough crap if you complain.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:41   #284

Quote:

SNIP
Electronics and batteries flooded from leaks in the deck/hull when the chain plates caused damage and the bilge pump could not keep up.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43   #285

Boat: too many

Quote:

When I last cruised it was before sat phones, GPS, or the Internet. My HAM HF SSB was it for me and to this day I prefer comms on my own equipment and not a 3rd party.

From what I've read on Eric's blog is his HF got doused with saltwater and stopped working.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, navy, rescue