Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 08:22   #256

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Rebel Heart Crew Suing.....

Having used a variety of sat phones over the years they rarely offer the big city cell phone experience that most expect.

While sailing our SSB, ham and VHF are our primary means of communication. They require a commitment of learning and technical knowledge greater than sat comms but I'll trust a proficient sailor or ham before I trust a corporation.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-07-2014, 08:31   #257
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Munchausen Syndrome is an attention-seeking personality disorder which is more common than statistics suggest. Munchausen Syndrome, named after a German soldier renowned for exaggerated tales, is a predominantly female disorder in which an emotionally immature person with narcissistic tendencies, low self-esteem and a fragile ego has an overwhelming need to draw attention to herself and to be the centre of attention.

In Munchausen Syndrome, this is achieved by capitalising on, exploiting, exaggerating or feigning illness or injury or personal misfortune. The opportunities for being centre of attention can be increased if feigning victimhood through alleged victimisation, isolation, exclusion or persecution is added to the equation; the Munchausen person can then depict another person (often a family member) as a victimiser or persecutor and herself as the victim. Presenting herself as a false victim is also a Munchausen trait.

In Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy (MSBP), occasions for being centre of attention are created by deliberately causing illness, injury or harm to others to provide opportunities for rescue and care.

Munchausen syndrome by proxy (MSBP) and attention seeking personality disorders including false victim and victim syndrome
Old 11-07-2014, 08:33   #258

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
That is true too. On the other hand, if you check that your phone is working before you leave, how much testing do you need to do? If you apply that much effort into your phone, do you then also pull the bolts on your chainplates for an xray before leaving? Certainly, they are just as important to safety at sea as your phone.

The question remains... was the rebel heart going to be lost otherwise?
Well, a simple call never hurts and is far easier than pulling bolts to take an x-ray. If it is the difference between keeping your home or losing it, I'd take a few extra steps, especially easy ones.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:37   #259
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookish1 View Post
. Limitation Of Liability

The satellite services provided by the satellite service provider may be temporarily interrupted, delayed or otherwise limited and is not available everywhere in the world. GlobalCom makes no representation that the satellite service provider the customer chooses to use can provide uninterrupted service. Furthermore, GlobalCom shall have no liabilities or credit due for interrupted service unless caused by gross negligence of GlobalCom. GlobalCom shall not be liable for acts or omissions of other carriers, equipment failures or modifications, acts of God, strikes, government actions, or causes beyond our reasonable control. GlobalCom makes no warranties with respect to the service of any kind whatsoever, expressed or implied, except as specifically provided in this agreement. The implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for any particular purpose are hereby disclaimed and excluded. GlobalCom shall not be liable to its distributor or customer or any third party for any special, incidental, or consequential damages.
Case dismissed.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:38   #260

Boat: ?

seriously, is this real life??

rebel heart's attorney....courtesy of the internets
Old 11-07-2014, 08:42   #261
cruiser

Why do people keep talking about the ridiculous McDonalds lawsuit? I thought everyone on the planet knew by now that the judgment was almost immediately tossed out by the judge. McDonalds never had to pay out a single penny to the plaintiff.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:48   #262
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
seriously, is this real life??

rebel heart's attorney....courtesy of the internets
these people are made for each other!

Attention seeking personality disorders and tactics of attention-seeking including drama queens, saviours, rescuers, feigners and attention-seekers
Old 11-07-2014, 08:48   #263

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why do people keep talking about the ridiculous McDonalds lawsuit? I thought everyone on the planet knew by now that the judgment was almost immediately tossed out by the judge. McDonalds never had to pay out a single penny to the plaintiff.
Money was paid. Not what the jury came up with though.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:50   #264

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
My understanding was that the judge reduced the amount and McD and the plaintiff settled for an undisclosed amount.

Atoll, everyone knows your theory of Maunchausen by Proxy by now. Your endless repetition doesn't make it so and won't make anyone investigate.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:51   #265
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Rebel Heart Crew suing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post

McD's was DELIBERATELY selling coffee at a temperature they knew was too hot and hurting people. Why? To save money. They had policy of free coffee refills. They were serving hot coffee that was too hot to drink so that people would not get refills and thus the company could save money.
Seriously?

The great McDonald's coffee conspiracy!

Although I did drive from NY State to So. Ohio on one cup of Speedway coffee. They said free refills. No one said it had to be the same Speedway.

Best $1.39 I ever spent.

Re: Topic - In reflection it is strange that the service provider does not allow the phone even with card deactivated to call customer service. It would seem that would be a good safety net.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:56   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
For a 30-something y/o couple with little to no experience of failure they were extremely confident in their ability to overcome any odds and sail around the world.

As time separates them from the feeling of fear of loss (for their daughter) when on that boat they start to reflect.

"Eric is a great seaman and I am a great mom. If it's not our fault that our dreams are smashed then who's fault is it?"

I feel bad for them because they have chosen to go this path - I don't feel bad for cross posting or repeating anything they say or said because they are choosing to make this public and they may as well get ready for people who may not agree with them.

I worry that stuff will be brought up they haven't even thought about that is going to be extremely hurtful.

Read some of the blog posts from the early days in San Diego - "Eric and I talked about having kids. He was worried having kids would kill his (our) dream to sail around the world. I promised him it wouldn't."

I would much rather lay out $20 for their book on, "What I learned about being ready to go" than to watch them receive a check because it's cheaper for the satphone company to make them go away.

The book requires work. The settlement requires whining about an unfair world...
The worst part is that Eric KNEW the phone was not reliable. In a posting to CF he mentioned "Satellite phones are flukey." post is below with statement bolded.

It appears that Eric on other forums is deleting and changing posts that in retrospect are damaging.... NOT KOOL. It makes his side of story worse. (in my opinion)

Quote:
Re: Ham Radio vs Marine SSB
As a guy who uses a satellite phone and has a ham/ssb onboard:

- I have the satellite phone for business because I need to make voice calls. If I didn't have that need, I doubt I'd have the phone.

- Satellite phones are flukey. I've had two times where mine has been de-activated by the billing company. When this happens it becomes a paperweight, and both times it was a paperwork error on their part. It's easy for paperwork problems to happen when traveling international by boat.

- When they work, satellite phones are the (long term) most expensive and easiest way to do email, voice, and weather.

- I'd say maybe 1/3 of the offshore boats I know have ham licenses. Those who don't have it generally have plans to get it.

- All of the popular nets I've participated in have been SSB. When you want to have a lot of people in a net, you do it with SSB. No real way around that.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:58   #267
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
My understanding was that the judge reduced the amount and McD and the plaintiff settled for an undisclosed amount.

Atoll, everyone knows your theory of Maunchausen by Proxy by now. Your endless repetition doesn't make it so and won't make anyone investigate.
thanks for the acknowledgment,

if you are a follower of "ALL" the RH media streams you get to see the "BIG PICTURE"
Old 11-07-2014, 08:59   #268

Boat: Outremer 50S

Limitations of liability or not, it is not going to help the sat. phone company's argument when their lowest priced Iridium plan is advertised as the "Safety Plan". Pretty sure they didn't let their own lawyers look at that before they started using the name.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:04   #269
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
The worst part is that Eric KNEW the phone was not reliable. In a posting to CF he mentioned "Satellite phones are flukey." post is below with statement bolded.

It appears that Eric on other forums is deleting and changing posts that in retrospect are damaging.... NOT KOOL. It makes his side of story worse. (in my opinion)

makes you wonder if indeed the whole episode was not premeditated.......
Old 11-07-2014, 09:10   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

makes you wonder if indeed the whole episode was not premeditated.......
That this was premeditated is highly improbable (again in my opinion).

I rather suspect that he is just now reacting to all that has happened... a bit of a shell shocked mode where his thinking is not as clear as it could be.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, navy, rescue