Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 09:48   #1

Boat: Outbound 521
Quiet water pressure pump

Looking to upgrade the current water pressure pump ( Jabsco Par Max 82500)to the next level, meaning a pump that doesn’t wake up people in the middle of the night when you are running the head or a faucet.
AlohaSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 09:20   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Quiet water pressure pump

Much of the noise of a pump is transmitted through the mounting to the structure of the boat. You can minimize this noise by using rubber mounts. You can further minimize it by mounting the pump to a small board which is, in turn, mounted to the boat with rubber mounts.

Ideally, you would avoid any screws and use glue to mount the boards. The point is to mechanically isolate the pump from the boat structure.

Using flexible hoses on the inlet and outlet to connect the pump to the boat's water system is another way to reduce noise transfer.
Old 15-04-2021, 19:40   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 MrkI

Ron is right on. You can pay more for quieter pumps but since you already have one that works change the contact to absorb the vibration. Try mounting it to vertical strips of water hose, like you'd get at your local marine store, and then mounting the strips where the water pump is located now. I've seen that while crawling around boats before.
The Resailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 22:44   #4

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

My pump died. Jabsco 31750. I don't remember if it's a variable speed pump, pictured here. 3.5 gpm maybe. Was decent.

Was reading this thread and stumbled onto a 24v jabsco 36900 belt diaphragm pump that was new in the box for $100. Someones spares, seller must not have know or cared what it was. Still had caps on the nipples. 4.5gpm 20-40psi pressure switch.

After install, it's quiet. Quieter than the old one, with more flow. Takes more room though. I can hear it when it runs a little bit, but it's like a quiet tick tick tick noise, very unobtrusive and hardly notice it.

I had other types of these belt drive pumps for the bilge but I took them out when I switched to 12v. Simple, known for longevity and have rebuild kits. Wondering if I can use one of these for a water maker boost pump and the toilet, the toilet pump is crazy loud. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210416_053037269.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	236621
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 00:44   #5

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Marco UP3
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 01:33   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Marquises 56

I replaced both of my FW pumps with the Whale Watermaster, about three years ago, and have been very satisfied.

This is a variable speed pump, so it is exceptionally quiet at low flow rates. I had some vibration (existed prior to changing out the pumps) where the PEX tubing passed through bulkheads, but that was eliminated by adding an accumulator tank.
Frode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 04:55   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

The issue with a quiet pump is, how would you know where there is leak.
Old 16-04-2021, 06:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Marco UP3
Like Bruce says ^^^^

The Marco pumps are--hands down--the best small freshwater pumps on the market. Gear pumps are inherently quieter and longer lasting than the diaphragm pumps usually sold to this market. They have far fewer moving parts, and all the parts that DO move rotate instead of reciprocate.

We have been using the Marco UP2 that serves our needs on our 53 foot full time cruising boat, and has for three years without issue.

Pick the size on based on your water needs. If you are concerned about not hearing a running pump, they have a remote panel for many models that lights up when ever the pump runs.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 07:09   #9

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

We added an accumulator tank so that you can wash your hands a couple of times without running the pump. But we have a manual head.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water