Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 23:32   #1

Boat: NA, Looking for a 36-47 ketch.
Quick Question About Fishing

Been looking on the site and using the search function to try to look up and see how many Cruisers go fishing and see what they fish for with what and where. Most of what I can find on the internet regarding it seems to net me little and what I look up on Youtube seems to only be people with a fishing pole that don't seem to be to good at it and never people running lines or rigs. Always figured sails would make the best trolling systems since they make little noise and a decent wind and an autopilot. So pretty much if there is a thread can you point it out as I don't see any up here or if there isn't one can you tell me so I can hammer out some guide lines for everyone to not follow and toss it up.
sycpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 23:39   #2

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Quick Question about fishing

Hey Sycpuppy,, here is sail blog with extensive video logs,,i have followed along with this couple adventures for a long time.
They fished while underway a lot.
I have not seen any better IMHO..
Voyaging Under Sail, Cruising Lealea Home

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 00:01   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Quick Question about fishing

We have caught fish regularly whilst trollling (touchwood), but then again we cruise in fairly shallow waters with a fairly sizeable tuna and barracuda population...

I believe once you get into blue water it's more difficult, cos the fish just aren't there...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Quick Question About Fishing

See ➥ fishing - Google Search

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31   #5

Offshore , speed determines catch. Most sailboats too slow. You will get the occasional fish but it's not something to depend on.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Offshore , speed determines catch. Most sailboats too slow. You will get the occasional fish but it's not something to depend on.
Sailboat speed is just about perfect. Maybe ya need a faster boat. But the fish are indeed fewer away from seamounts, reefs and shore. If one likes to screw around fighting fish one uses a pole, reel and all that junk. If it's just for eating and one does not really want to interrupt one's rest with fish-play one uses a hand line.

Spanish mackerel, mahi mahi (dorado), tuna, wahoo, plus the volunteer flying fish and squid that are found in the scuppers each morning.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:00   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We always run a hand Reel off the back rail, with 80lb line and a steel leader, and either a Plug, or bait (if we get flying fish they are great bait) as others have said the closer ya are in the more ya catch but we catch fish in offshore waters enough to make it worthwhile to run a line and it's free food !! and takes up very little time !! How can ya go wrong !! we almost always end up with a lot of fish in the freezer! Just our 2 cents
Old 03-04-2012, 10:04   #8

Depends on where you are. In southern waters I find a yellow/greeen weighted rubber squid with a big 2/0 single hook works great for many fish. I just used an old heavy short rod with 60-80 lb test and a 3 ft stainless steel leader. I prefer this to a hand line as you can hear the reel buzzing with a strike immediately. We caught a lot of fish behind the sailboat. Also, dont discount trolling around in the dingy when you are anchored. For this I would use a 3" silver spoon with a weight about 3 ft in front of it. Works great trolling around a point of land and rocks etc. Cabrilla, Sierra Mackeral, and even albacore this way....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10   #9

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

a good compromise between a handline and a rod is just to get a reel and attach a clamp to it that will attach to your stern rail. Then let out about a hundred yards of line with the lure of your choice (I like the pink squid myself, but if it didnt work I could use a yellow one or whatever else) and wait until you hear the drag go. Then reel it in.

One trick they taught me before my first passage was to take a small bottle of liquor of some kind - The cheap airplane bottles work well - and squirt some cheap rum or vodka into their gill when you land them on the side deck. They die almost instantly and it way easier than beating them to death with a winch handle.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Sailboat speed is just about perfect. Maybe ya need a faster boat. But the fish are indeed fewer away from seamounts, reefs and shore. If one likes to screw around fighting fish one uses a pole, reel and all that junk. If it's just for eating and one does not really want to interrupt one's rest with fish-play one uses a hand line.

Spanish mackerel, mahi mahi (dorado), tuna, wahoo, plus the volunteer flying fish and squid that are found in the scuppers each morning.

offshore=mid pacific, mid atlantic, or indian ocean. anything over 20 pounds will be moving faster than most sailboats move. ever try keeping up with a swordfisherman? btw: unless you like feeding sharks, not good idea to keep a fish dangling on the end of a handline. simple reel well lubed with fishoil will last for years, and will make noise when you snagged something. most of the time a simple strip of white cloth or foil and a three inch hook will do nicely. unless you like to play with your food, heavier the pound test the better. going across the pond on the northerly routes good fishing but coming back via azores not so. and in over 50 years of sailing, most of the time you dont find flying fish in your scuppers.
the gin in the gills really works.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:51   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

We caught plenty of mahi-mahi at 6 - 6.5 knots in the Gulf Stream, Sargasso Sea, and sometimes between islands in the West Indies. Too slow for wahoo, though.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:59   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We have caught mahi, makerel and lots of baracuda. I use a hand reel on one side and a pole on the other. I typically use bright color squid or sometimes a dark one and a bright one. I have heard a lot of people swear by cedar plugs so I'll try one of those next time. I'll also use a small planer to get some depth for tuna, but no luck yet.

Some fish like the noise of engines like mahi especially the low grumble of a diesel. They are attracted to noise and commotion on the surface. That's why a lot of fisherman will drag behind attractors.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:00   #13

I have found flying fish and squid a couple dozen times on deck...... mexico and caribe.... You need to sail more "rail down" !

btw: unless you like feeding sharks, not good idea to keep a fish dangling on the end of a handline
Yeah, caught just the head of a fish more than once using a hand line! You havent fished until you've caught a big Dorado on a pole and reel!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:25   #14

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

How about laws governing fishing around the world? What do you do when coming to the next island or country if you get stopped? Are most countries fishing laws (and licenses) not the same as in the USA? Here you need a license for each state you are fishing in.

I saw you need to get a permit for the Bahamas, but haven't seen any others.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:38   #15

Boat: None. As for a name, let's just say "Wishful Thinking"...

Sailboat Fishing Tips - Fish While Sailing - Blue Water Cruising OffShore Fishing

start in the drop down "select a category".
heyniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing