Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 21:25   #31

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Question: 12am -6am Sailing/Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampWhippet View Post
Thanks for everyone who replied. I was very curious if what I did was considered stupid or not.
Enjoying what you're safely doing with your boat is never stupid!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 22:46   #32

I love it at night. The only problem is boredom. It's all neat and rad for the first little bit, but after a couple of days it gets a little... boring. Self steering, no contacts, just inky black and the occasional watch duties and horizon scan.

My wife and I have an informal schedule. Normally one of us is more tired than the other, so whomever the sleepy person is crashes out at dark and the awake person muscles through as long as they can, usually until midnight or two in the morning, somewhere around there. Then switch. Nap during the day and just be cognizant that two people dead tired going into the night watches isn't going to work out so well.

It's your responsibility to get enough sleep and be rested.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:44   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rebel heart--apparently you havent sailed with flying fish and porpoises and other sea beings that play in the dark. is awesome. boredom is a state of mind only within your own mind. i have never been bored on night watch. night is when stuff happens--storms, building seas you cannot visualize as well as in daylight---ships are actually pretty---night time is awesome. when you sail in warmer waters you will see the difference.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18   #34

Since we are talking night passages. Back in the mid eighties I was part of a crew on a 70 foot schooner. We left the Dry Tortugas and were heading back toward Key West in the Gulf of Mexico. Sometime after dinner a bunch of us were on deck and noticed there were these glowing objects in the water around the boat as we sailed along. This was not just bioluminess algae you might see in the waters. These were oblong glowing objects of various sizes some a foot to two foot long. None of the crew had ever seen this phenomena before. Took about ten minutes to pass through the glowing objects. I can only speculate that perhaps they were a mass of squid. Anyone ever seen anything like that at night? There sure were a lot of them whatever they were.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23   #35

mbianca--awesome sighting---wish i had seen that--i saw many other things and critters at night, tho---wow---
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mbianca--awesome sighting---wish i had seen that--i saw many other things and critters at night, tho---wow---
Zee:

Yeah, it was kind of spooky/cool event. There was talk of throwing a line and over trying snag one of them but, we never did. It has always remained one of those mystery memories for me.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50   #37

i hope i am able to see that kind of mysteries--is cool and makes the night even more fun!!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:32   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
rebel heart--apparently you havent sailed with flying fish and porpoises and other sea beings that play in the dark. is awesome. boredom is a state of mind only within your own mind. i have never been bored on night watch. night is when stuff happens--storms, building seas you cannot visualize as well as in daylight---ships are actually pretty---night time is awesome. when you sail in warmer waters you will see the difference.
I think I spent too many late night shifts in the navy on a warship. I love the night, but I'm a sunshine kind of guy.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote