Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18   #16

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Question: 12am -6am Sailing/Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Sometimes an early start is necessary depending on physical circumstances. Where I am, high tide is around 0100 and it is advisable to start then when under sail during slack water and let the ebb flow help you along to the open sea as the tide goes out. If you start at dawn, you have have low tide and have to worry about flood flow as the tide comes in. If winds are light, one might easily have to motor out rather than sail. Coming into port one may want to come in with the tide instead.
Where do you sail that high tide is always at 0100?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

At 02:00 a cruise ship coming up behind but just over the horizon sets up a loom like a city. Magical to watch a city on the sea turn into sparkling jewels. Amazing that you can still see the nav. lights in all the brightness.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:52   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I always prefer night watchs ! I let Connie have the early watch, and I sail the mid watchs, 12 to 6 am. I love the nights, radar helps but at sea it's not really as important as a good set of eyes and a careful watch! Im able to get enough sleep a couple of hrs at a time during the day ! but then Ive been doing this for more years then I like to remember! I love the calmness of night watchs under sail, motoring now thats a different box of cats ! the noise ruins the whole thing ! LOL even if ya have to run 2 hr watchs till ya get your sea legs, nights are the best and ya get where ya would rather do them all rather then let some one else have the pleasure! Maybe im sick LOL but thats the way I feel ! never be afraid of night sailing! with the equipment available today, it's just as safe as days !! just my 2 cents
Old 01-08-2012, 09:37   #19

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Where do you sail that high tide is always at 0100?
I should have worded that better. I was saying as an example, if I had wanted to head out and be at sea by dawn this morning, I would have preferred to sail at about 0100 when the tide was in and one had slack water. I could catch the ebb on the way out into Hecate Strait. If I were to sail on Friday, the 3rd, high tide would be at around 0240.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Does anyone have any experience with thermal night vision, either integrated into an MFD or a standalone handheld scope?
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As far as night vision stuff ! if your bobbing around off shore they don't work to well and have limited range! coming into harbors they can be helpful to see bouy markings ! but except for that Ive never found them to be of much use ! I have a one aboard but I can't think of the last time I used it !! A friend gave it to me so I can't get rid of it ! LOL
Old 01-08-2012, 11:35   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Night sailing/watches are in many ways the best. There is a special feeling sailing at night. The only downside is trying to get some sleep during the day, especially on short passages when your your biological clock wants to wake you up.
The arrival time is important. To arrive at a strange anchorage with poor maps and those rude boats that don't have adequate anchor lights is generally the most dangerous part. It is surprising how often boats plan a daytime passage but arrive at the anchorage I poor light/dark. Leaving at night and arriving in the middle of the day is safer and easier.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Does anyone have any experience with thermal night vision, either integrated into an MFD or a standalone handheld scope?
A handheld scope was given to us as a b/day present once. The verdict: don't waste your money unless prepared to spend 1000s on FLIR/Raymarine, etc. Cheap versions have EXTREMELY limited field of vision to the point of being unusable and not so great sensitivity, i.e. you usually can see it with your eyes [or a flashlight] just as well...

P.S. Middle of the night watches are my personal favourite
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 15:39   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On a dark night it takes a little time to get used to not being able to see anything past the mast. You just have to have faith that you can handle whatever happens.
Old 01-08-2012, 16:02   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i find i dont have a problem seeing in the dark---until there is a bright light in the cockpit--i turn my gps light waaaayyyyyyy down an is still too bright--but i can see far--i LOVE night sailing in the ocean or out in gom--is awesome.
below decks o have a very faint yellowish light--a led 1 watt, in a japanese style lamp--works great and doesnt mess with my night vision.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 16:25   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Zee, you have had great luck. One dark night some rain will come upon you and you will think you have gone blind, except, oh yes, there is a mast in the gloom.
Old 01-08-2012, 16:44   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

been thru the rain so i couldnt see anything at all--not even other side of cockpit..was fun. was just the lightning that was no fun...there was a lot of it.
deep frz--yes i have been fortunate.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 16:59   #28

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Night sailing is my personal favorite and if you head offshore is something you must enjoy or you will have many a nervous night. Traveling at night under power is not my idea of fun. When you hit something you can't see under power, you probably are going to do some damage.
Why would there be more damage to a powered vessel and less to a sailing vessel travelling at similar speeds?
Old 01-08-2012, 17:18   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My First ever Gulfstream crossing to the Bahama's was at night,SW WIND traveling East close reach the whole way,The Stars were Brilliant Thes shooters were every where and when the sky lit up in the am a Ray jumpted 10 feet off the Bow absolutely awsome.For the past 30 years I,always make night crossing but never came close to duplicating that one.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 18:36   #30

Boat: 2007 Silverton 39MY

The only reason I left at night was so we could arrive at Singer Island at 8am. Although I can do 18-20 knots I went 11 and burned 75% less fuel. It was a bit of a spontaneous decision and while I enjoyed it I'm not sure I'll make it a habit just yet. The moon was behind me and it was pitch black out there.

Thanks for everyone who replied. I was very curious if what I did was considered stupid or not.
CampWhippet is offline   Reply With Quote