Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 04:19   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Quest Pirates

saw in the USA Today paper this morning that 2 of the Quest pirates have been sentenced to life in prison. It says these weren't that killed the owners which makes me wonder how they know this.

Impressed that it didn't take that long compared to most US trails etc.

Now if we could only find some other "nice" country for them to serve their time in.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:53   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Quest pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
saw in the USA Today paper this morning that 2 of the Quest pirates have been sentenced to life in prison. It says these weren't that killed the owners which makes me wonder how they know this.

Impressed that it didn't take that long compared to most US trails etc.

Now if we could only find some other "nice" country for them to serve their time in.

Well, they're a bunch of cowardly pirates. They probably turned on each other and sang like canaries, and a bunch of them probably sang the same song. It would make sense for those who did no killing to make sure the authorities knew who DID do the killing.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26   #3

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS
Or just put them back in a small rib, in the middle of the pacific ocean with no engine, no shade, no water nor food....

It would be so much cheaper to deal with these on the spot instead, bullet on the belly and overboard...to give them some time to repent their acts and pray....
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2011, 06:10   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50

The court was much to kind.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2011, 06:16   #5
TEE

The only way to stop piracy is to kill pirates. If no boat ever seized was allowed to reach Somalia with any live pirates on board, we would soon see a stop to these thugs attacking vessels. In my opinion, pirates captured on board a vessel on the high seas are automatically guilty of the offense for which they might be charged, and the only proper sentence is death.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2011, 07:13   #6

Boat: Morgan 461

The only way stop piracy is through education and prosperity. An execution, after trial or battle, will not stop the executed pirate's friends and family from continuing the practice.

Death by drowning or dehydration on a vessel in the ocean may make a man pray and repent. To what end? What would we achieve? Prayer, by a dying pirate or his victims, won't stop piracy.

As to the pirates being cowards, maybe they consider themselves to be quite brave and courageous. Maybe they see no other way to feed their families but to risk their lives in violent crime.

These pirates have been put in jail for the rest of their lives. I think that's great for the immediate future. What if, in addition to the life sentence, we were able to guarantee their kids' educations? It's utopic, yes, but we need to break the cycle of poverty somehow. Death sentences and executions won't do it.
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2011, 07:38   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Quest Pirates

The hierachy of survival is based on taking advantage of the next weaker link down the line.
Un-regulated, lawless societies, such as Somalia, see yachts the way a hungry kid sees an un-guarded watermelon patch.
The risk is secondary to the need.
Some westerners tend to lump all pirates as being a group of "boys in the hood".
I would suggest that with a coastline exceeding a thousand miles, there is very little organisation of attacks from a central command.
IMHO, enovillo is correct.
We have to ask ourselves why we continue to let these circumstances exist.
I have resolved my personal opinions as to why. And some of them affect my sleep at night.
Until man's inhumanity to man is eradicated, the weaker will always be sacrificed by the manipulators, on both sides.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:05   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50

What about the children and families of of killed sailors? Some day maybe you two can be held or killed for a few bucks or maybe your boat. But it will be good to know that with your last breath you'll tell the pirates to go back to school.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2011, 08:11   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
What about the children and families of of killed sailors? Some day maybe you two can be held or killed for a few bucks or maybe your boat. But it will be good to know that with your last breath you'll tell the pirates to go back to school.
I think I covered that in my last sentence.
There are no winners in this case.
Old 04-10-2011, 18:59   #10

The sentence was too light, some how they will be feed in jail at the cost to the goverment from taxes.
Sunhine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2011, 19:38   #11

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

I doubt it is hunger that drives the pirates. More likely the thrill and prestige that translates to the youg bucks getting their pick of the local ladies. I agree the price and odds of failure have to be increased before they choose harder more productive work.
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2011, 01:43   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Boy the hang em and flog em brigade are out in force today. Most democratic countries have banned capital punishment and I agree with that. Simply killing a couple of pirates ( assuming you get close enough to do so ) will do little to deter them. All thar happens is they start to buy ground to air missiles. Look at Afghanistan, force produces a reaction not a cessation.

The underlying issues that make it attractive for poor locals to get in involved and risk their lives has to be addressed. Then it will be eradicated. Simply killing a few pirates will have little effect.

Dave
Old 05-10-2011, 04:10   #13

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

how do you feel about giving those pirates $35,000 per year, food, housing, medical care and job security all within the confines of a secure safe jail? Perhaps that cost number is much higher.

Other countries deal with prisoners much differently, barely feeding them or not at all and no medical care. As soon as you invite people into the US prison system they start making more than the average wage earner. A cosy secure place to eat sleep and live. And we provide all of this for free to them. Of course being what people are, the prisoners themselves soon setup gangs to extort and terrorize each other in prison. Quite ungrateful folk.

Argument: Executions are no more costly than life in prison - Debatepedia

To execute or not: A question of cost? - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2011, 04:29   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sunhine.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2011, 04:30   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

BBC News - Aid reaches drought victims in Islamist area of Somalia

seems like the only areas that DON'T need aid are the areas controlled by pirate warlords
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply