Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2018, 23:28   #76

Re: Progressive Lenses on Deck?

I have had the same experience and used prescription specs for years. I found the lenses need to be cut properly and some optometrists are better than others. The grading of the focal length needs to be done very carefully and to suit the individual. In short yes I take my specs off often and when on close deck work.

Interesting in USA progressive appears to be the main term for what in europe is usually called varifocal lenses. Progressive has been used to describe the changing tint lenses as well as 'transitions'.

Ht
Phil
Captainphilmorris.com
PhilFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:27   #77

There are numerous types of progressive lenses.
When you decide on them take time explaining your visual requirements to your optometrist.
If you look online at Hoya introducing Hoya ID My style it will give you some idea.
The lenses that I wear sailing have no distortion horizontally and have a wide range of clear vision at distance and near.
They also are photochromatic with a fast acting lens that goes dark and light quickly to cut out all UV glare. If sailing in areas with a lot of reefs have a pair also made up in Polaroid to cut out surface reflections and see the colours of. various depths easier.
Remember the brain needs to adjust to anything visually which is new. A rule of thumb is - take 21 days to thoroughly adjust.
Once you are used to varifocals any change in prescription with the similar lens type will be automatic.
Jim Mackey SV Twenty Twenty Vision
James Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:59   #78

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

I wear progressive lenses at sea and ashore. Also had a pair made of polarised, slightly tinted, progressive specs specifically to wear above deck. I am aware of the peripheral distorsion, but no more so than in normal life. I guess my brain compensates automatically. I also pay extra attention where I put my foot when walking about on deck, and look twice at where the hand rail is when required. But that is good practice anyway irrespective of your vision.
After having lost two pairs of very expensive specs overboard in different circumstances, I fitted spring temples (the kind used by the military) to the ones I have now. I wanted them to stay on my face, and they mostly do, in wind and spray.
If you finally choose progressive, damn fashion. Go for the practical. Get squarish or "school teacher" round sturdy metal frames (they may bend but will not break), with wider vertical distances. This makes the lense easier to cut to your prescription, and you don't have to be quite so subtle in moving your head to bring objects into focus.
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:55   #79

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

A lively thread for sure.
I was sailing again yesterday, it was beautiful. At the end of the day when I went forward to cover the staysail, I had some distortion, but managed much better than last time.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 16:29   #80

Boat: Mirage 35

I'm going to revive this thread with some new information from recent personal experience.

I just picked up two new pairs of glasses, both with progressive lenses, one pair to be worn alone and the other pair to be worn with my contact lenses.

The "full" prescription glasses are progressives that go from -14 to +2 diopters, and they are perfect. No distortion, absolutely clear in every direction. The "reading" glasses go from 0 to +2 (to be worn with the -14 contact lenses) - and with them I'm getting distorted angles in the lower corners, trouble finding the right focus point, eye strain ...

I'm going back to see the optician and get this fixed. Seems to me that if the heavy prescription works that well it should be possible for the other to do it as well. The good news is that I deal with a full-service provider who will do what's necessary to make it work. (The bad news is I pay full price - you don't want to know how much these glasses cost me.)
Old 05-12-2018, 13:11   #81
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Anglais-
You might try looking for a pair of +2 "half readers", inexpensive retail ones. That's the kind that are only 1/2" tall or so, so that you can look down through them for light reading, and just look straight ahead above them most of the time.

But it is possible to diplomatically approach an independent eye care practice, as I did with my eye doctor and dentist alike some years ago, and when there's no one else within earshot, just say "You know, I really value your experience, your aftercare, the way that you have always treated me. But I see so many local competitors at half the price, and prices have gone up so high, that I really just can't afford to keep paying so much. I really want to stay with you, is there any way we could make some adjustment on this?"
Phrased politely, it is likely to get a good response. The professionals KNOW that they are losing business over price, and they are almost always willing to give up some of that margin in exchange for keeping a loyal customer. A win-win solution.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 14:32   #82

Cool Re: Progressive Lenses on Deck?

https://www.vsp.com/
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:25   #83

I'll update too. I continued wearing the glasses routinely, becoming more accustomed to them. Last week while checking the boat in a 30 knot breeze, I hardly knew I had them on, until they blew off my face into the harbor. Now I really feel like I don't have them on...
Old 06-12-2018, 05:43   #84

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar39 View Post
I'll update too. I continued wearing the glasses routinely, becoming more accustomed to them. Last week while checking the boat in a 30 knot breeze, I hardly knew I had them on, until they blew off my face into the harbor. Now I really feel like I don't have them on...
Oh, damn.

Have seen that happen on a couple of occasions (other crew, not me) - once we actually managed to dive and find them, the other time not so lucky.
Old 06-12-2018, 17:10   #85

I don't dive, the water is too deep to snorkel. I thought of hiring a diver, or asking a friend. I decided I'd still want to pay the friend, and maybe I'll just hold off until I can get another pair.
Thank you for your sympathy.

Tags
deck