Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 02:34   #46
QBF

Re: Progressive Lenses on Deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rea View Post
I never had a problem until I got a new pair of glasses from Specsaver. They changed the lenses, but it was never very good, narrow field vision. After a year
I went back to my old optometrist and got new lenses (more expensive). What a difference! I don’t have any problems anymore at all, my sunglasses are the same quality. Don’t skimp on lenses, get the best quality.

^^^ This

I've had progressive lenses for a good 25-years and I love them. The only time I have had a problem with lenses was after I went from single vision to bifocals. For the first week all I did was look through the line.

We are all different, but for me it is progressive lenses forever!
QBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 04:40   #47

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I have worn progressives for 25 years now and have no distortion difficulties. What I have learned is that there are particular design limitations that take understanding.
There is a zone near the center of vision that is in focus both horizontally and vertically. You have to turn your head to the left and right to have off center objects in perfect focus. Also the wider the lens is vertically the more gradual the Rx change is which allows for smaller amounts of head movement to keep things in focus. so high fashion lenses which are very short top to bottom are a problem. I have three sets of glasses. One polarized set of Costa sunglasses for the boat with moderately large lenses, a second with more narrow in
a vertical measurement for "social" stuff, and a working set for work which have fairly wide lenses.
Some of the new lens materials allow for better or broader "sweet Spot" in the center of vision.
I also learned that the "Big Box" stores and optical places do not necessarily have access to the full range of lens material options as they only sell the less costly materials and offer less customization.
When new prescriptions are made there is a little "adjustment" period of usually a few minutes to an hour each time due to manufacturing variations and lens shape changes which change the graduation of the Rx throughout the lens. For people who have difficulty adjusting to progressives it pays to stay with a particular lens style and size to minimize future readjustments.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 04:59   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
I've had smaller, "designer frame" type progressives, but I notice that doing outside activity requires a larger sweet spot; hence the lenses are larger and that works well for me.
That's a good point. Seems like the style nowadays is very minimal sized lenses. Progressives work better with somewhat larger lenses.

I don't know what you can do if you want to be stylish. But I think from all the answers here it is pretty clear that most people who use progressives found them a little difficult at first, but you definitely do, eventually, get completely used to them.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 12:50   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Except for those like me. I could not get used to progressive lenses, and I did make an effort. I have trifocals, and they do great for me. I have had difficulties, in Australia, went through two sets of lenses where they didn't get the spacing right (the lines in the right places), but eventually paid more and they did get it right. It helped that I had my previous pair with correct alignment, so they could compare and see what's wrong.

I've had myopia since a child, I started wearing glasses at age 10. I can function on the boat without them when it's really wet from rain or waves. It is not ideal, I prefer the clarity of vision I have with the glasses, but I think Trente Pieds is correct in that if you know where everything is, you can tell which thing it is, and although blurred, you can see buoys and day markers and stuff like that with very poor vision. Myopia doesn't affect your color perception at all, and we get a lot of information from minor color variations.

For the OP, it is likely you will be able to adjust to the progressive lenses, but if you still feel it is dangerous, then try not using them. If it's okay, you're good to go. If you are not satisfied, then try the old fashioned ones like I have. Mine have a reading portion, the mid range goes out to about 6 ft., and the upper is for long distance. My myopia is such that I often remove my glasses and use my "close up" lens to read.

Ann
Old 24-10-2018, 17:46   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

full disclosure- i work for one of the big box stores-and in the optical area --- guess what they DO have plenty of options and access to the best materials:
1) use a frame with a large lens size- this will help

2) go with a good lens- i use Nikon Custom eyes or Nikon affinity lenses- these will have a much better peripheral view range i tried zeiss- also a good lens but got the same effect that you are mentioning- went back to Nikon and it went away

3) if poly lenses do not work well for you then try plastic there are a FEW- very few - perhaps 5% at most people who get a rainbow or distortion effect using polycarbonate lenses that goes away with plastic

my big box stores offers a guarantee that if you are not happy they will give you your money back-spectacles are waranteed for one year no charge guarantee on frames and lenses- i know that nikon offers a two year guarantee on their coatings as well - all at no charge. also if your script changes within 60 days because your Dr did not have it quite right they will remake them for free.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 18:10   #51

Boat: Valiant 40

I started to scan through the responses to the OP and was a bit shocked at the responses.

Every one had different vision and different needs and responses to “optical aids”. Asking here if progressive lenses are good or bad is like asking what heartburn medication works for you.

It’s entirely individual based on your nearsightedness, your far sightedness, your astigmatism, the vertical height of your glasses, how long you’ve been wearing them etc.

Personally I’ve been wearing them for 15 years and they are a mixed bag. Fine on deck and the only time it’s an issue is when I’m working on boat maintenance crammed in some position and there is no sweet spot. I rKe them off and viola problem solved but that’s because of my particular prescription.

If you’re not used to them in about two weeks then you need a different solution.

FYI spent $300 on progressive polarized sunglasses and lost them during a capsize of a Hobie cat at Virgin Gorda. I now wear fit over sunglasses. I look like a mafioso but that’s the price of being older, frugal, and grudgingly less vain.
Old 24-10-2018, 18:12   #52

not read all the replies..
but for the past 3 years I had progressive lens.
hate them for use on a computer..too much head movement..
driving - I like them except for the transitions because them don't change enough while driving a car..the windshield blocks the UV.
hate them for close up while looking up.. up is distance vision..not 2ft away..but reading glasses work great.
going down stairs..not so good. the focal point is wrong...no matter how I look..if you have progressive..try it

for general use..love them..I think I hate the line in a bifocal..

no issues using them on deck..
always worried about loosing them overboard..they aren't cheap...

-dkenny64
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 19:22   #53

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
There are some big differences in how each company make progressive lenses. If your high-end eye doctor sells Varilux, and mine sells Zeiss, and Wallyworld sells lord knows what...all three will have major differences. The progression is not just up-and-down but yes, there is correction (distortion) sometimes in butterfly or figure-8 patterns that make the sides very different.

On top of that, there's a question of how the lenses are centered and which portion (top or bottom) of the correction is cut off to fit in the frames. So for instance, my first pair worked fine in the shop...but still leave me dizzy if I try to look at my feet while going down stairs. Better not to look. And the first time I tried driving with them, I could read the dashboard just fine--but had to tilt my head back to see clearly down the road.

When I took them back with that complaint, my optometrist said no problem, let's see how much you need them to be shifted--and made new lenses that are about 3mm offcenter, raised up in the frame, top of the lens ground off instead of normally centered.

All of that might change again with a different lens, or if I wanted a more useful close reading rx on the closer part.

Any *good* optometrist will discuss these things and work with you, and many will say that if the progressives don't work for you, they'll make up (swap in) regular lenses at no additional charge. Some people's brains are just wired differently. progressives require you to sort of be aware of peripheral things, and ignore the fact that they're never going to be clear unless you're looking through the exact right spot of the lens to focus on them.

Amen! The size of the lens and the height of the transition can make a huge difference. When I got my first pair I'd get headaches and eyestrain. Everyone told me I'd adjust - but I found I had to be careful to tilt my head down a bit to see distance clearly. When I went back to change lenses I asked the fitter to make the transition lower in the lens, and sure enough I was able to adjust within weeks.

I do need to tilt my head up a bit to look through the reader portion, so I switch to cheap non-prescription OTC reading glasses for computer use or extended reading.

PS -- For desktop computer use I prefer a lower power lens than "prescribed" because the screen is usually a bit further away than when reading printed materials or tablet/phone.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 20:26   #54

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have worn Progressive-Transition glasses for years. My eyes are very sensitive to light. Needing glasses for reading and close up, I went to progressive transitions so I could be at the mast head and work, read in the cockpit, even see my watch when running.I don't have a severe problem for distance. I did have a problem when i was going down a ladder, on the boat, at home, occasionally with bottom steps. I found an offer for buy one get one set of lenses from Essilor, the producer of Transition, Varilux and Crizal lenses. I have the top of the line varilux progressives that are digitally designed with a different profile of the "sweet spot". The optometrist fitted and measured me using this back to the future device on my head, and supposedly the numbers where transmitted directly the lab that makes the lense. The top of the line Transitions react quicker, and work behind windshields or inside behind glass windows and doors. I wear them all the time, can work, read books, use the computer and wear them running and be on the boat and be completely comfortable, with out the distortion when looking down. They go darker than others. They are not polarized. When I am just on the water, in my kayak, or out in very bright conditions, I wear Costa del Sol reader sunglasses,polarized. They are basically bifocal wrap around sunglasses, having an auxillary lens attached inside the lens down low. The Essilor Varilux Transitions where not inexpensive, I paid about $685, but got two sets of lenses. I think you get what you pay for, these are certainly top of the line. I do agree with others that it takes awhile for your brain to compensate for the lenses. I found the same thing when I relented and got hearing aids. You brain has to adapt to newly hearing what you haven't heard for years. It all works for me, and I am happy I am protecting my eyes.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 21:43   #55

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I have been wearing progressive lenses - and very cheap ones, from one of the online sellers - for many years.

What makes them work for me is that I have several pairs.

My prescription, from the optometrist, has a near-vision correction of 2.25 diopters. If I have a pair of glasses made with that correction they're unusable. The "sweet spot" is far too small.

What I do is to have two pairs made, one for far with a NV correction of 1.25 diopters, and one for far-1.0 diopters with a NV correction of 1.25.

One pair is clear from distance to about four feet, and the other from close up to about 30 feet.

And both have large sweet spots.

They end up costing me about $80/pair, which is cheap enough that I can experiment.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 21:53   #56

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Many pairs of different styles, love them. Find a really good Optomatrist and describe your concern, hopefully you’ll discover the right solution.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 22:11   #57
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

I changed from the progressives because of what I think you are dealing with. I felt like I was further away from things than I was and when walking I never really felt like I was stepping where I wanted to step.

Very weird.

I am -2.50 both eye's. Doc prescribed 0.00 for the left eye and -2.50 for the right eye. Worked out really well.

Good luck
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 06:48   #58

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I cannot stand progressives full stop and bifocals are scary on a boat as the transition line always seems to be where I want to step.
My solution has been progressive contact lenses. They are awesome on a boat for the following reasons:
1. No loss of peripheral vision or transition line.
2. Ability to wear normal (affordable) sunglasses
3. No swapping glasses when going into the cabin
4. No rain/spray on lenses issue

They are a bit of a compromise as the add range is more limited than glass progressives. I have mine set to allow me to read a chart or the instruments and have very good mid vision (not much to see a long way off anyway). If I want to read a book inlow light I might wear +1 readers as well.
Worth a try.
GrahamO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 06:59   #59

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Did you get wide angle progressives? that might help. I got mine about 20 years ago and took to them straight away, and that was with a correction of about 1.5 at the time (I am long sited) and also being an airline pilot (now retired). What helped and I think has helped keep my prescription about the same for the last twenty years is having the prescription slightly lower than ideal, ie I can read things at about arms length rather than at midriff length (24" rather than 18") this helped with flying as I could look at the instrument panel (about 24"~28") and chart holder (24") without much movement of my head and of course looking outside it was natural to look up through the relatively uncorrected area. I noticed a slight oddness in going up and down stairs for the first 24 hours but after that I just naturally corrected for it and I never noticed any problem whilst sailing. I occasionally remove my glasses when I am sailing due to rain or spray but have never noticed any difference when taking them off or putting them back on again. I suspect that if I had not immediately gone for the wide angle option, it might have been a different story. The other thing that possibly helps is that I wear my glasses from when I get up till when I go to bed. They are ultra light thin lense frameless titanium
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 07:03   #60

Boat: Nicholson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar39 View Post
I recently bought two pairs of progressive lens sunglasses. Like many, I had perfect vision until about 40. Reading glasses followed, now I qualify for a distance prescription too, so I got the progressives. One of the side effects of them is blurry peripheral vision. Last week after a day sail, I went forward to do something, and lost my balance twice. I did not fall, but I think it was because the deck and bowsprit appeared to curve. Will I get used to this? Or should I take the glasses off up forward?
I have the same problem - I have to take the spectacles off even when walking down steps to a tube station for fear of falling. The answer on a boat is monovision contact lenses. One is corrected for distance and the other for reading. Your brain does the calculation. In fact I have even moved on now to progressive contacts - both eyes will read near and far. Put the problem to an optician - they love solving it.

Good luck
Gunfleet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck