When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 20:57   #32

Re: Prince Phillip has sailed..

I met him once, very briefly, at a Garden Party (note the respectful capitals) in Wellington, when he and his missus were paying a Royal Visit. He seemed a decent enough bloke, with a ready laugh and a genuine interest in strangers.

Anyone who can keep his sanity after giving up the career he loved, to spend the rest of his long life walking three paces behind his wife and being polite to an endless parade of bores, deserves respect.
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:21   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I regret that many have taken my comments to be disrespectful of Prince Phillip, and his legacy.

I assure you, no such disrespect was intended.
He was a kind, thoughtful, and generous man, of his time and place, with many of the attendant human foibles.
I thought that some of his [lighthearted] gaffes were humorous, and humanizing. Apparently, not.
My apologies.

In almost a century of life, Prince Philip gave so much to public service, and was a lifelong champion of many worthy causes. As US President Joe Biden said: "The impact of his decades of devoted public service is evident in the worthy causes he lifted up as a patron, in the environmental efforts he championed, in the members of the Armed Forces that he supported, in the young people he inspired, and so much more."

I just can’t help myself. If you can’t see the humour; you probably couldn’t see the man:
Buckingham Palace felt compelled to issue an apology, after another gaffe in 2000, when Philip, while touring a factory in Scotland, remarked that some electrical equipment looked so crude
"it must have been installed by an Indian."
"The Duke of Edinburgh regrets any offence which may have been caused by remarks he is reported as making earlier today," the palace said. "With hindsight, he accepts that what were intended as lighthearted comments were inappropriate."
I could have used those words, myself.

In this April 25, 1959, file photo [Harold Valentine/The Associated Press], Prince Philip mans the tiller of the star class sailboat “Gem IV”, with Durward Knowles, right, as crew.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:00   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I suppose I should, also, have accorded Phillip the dignity of his full title:

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip [of Greece and Denmark], Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Member of the Order of Merit, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Knight of the Order of Australia, Additional Member of the Order of New Zealand, Extra Companion of the Queen’s Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada, Extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit, Lord of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:26   #35

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

We say farewell and God speed to our late Captain General RM
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:32   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prince Phillip has sailed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I regret that many have taken my comments to be disrespectful of Prince Phillip, and his legacy.

I assure you, no such disrespect was intended.
He was a kind, thoughtful, and generous man, of his time and place, with many of the attendant human foibles.
I thought that some of his [lighthearted] gaffes were humorous, and humanizing. Apparently, not.
My apologies.
.[/B]
Then maybe you should have started your post in a less judgemental manner.. the below shows little humour/respect.. just stirring the Harry & Megan racist pot.

At times over the years, the Prince’s cringe-inducing comments had a naive charm. Other times though, they were less "endearing dad-joke", and more "incredibly racist grandpa”:

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:59   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Then maybe you should have started your post in a less judgemental manner ...
Indeed, I could & should have.
Quote:
Buckingham Palace felt compelled to issue an apology, after another gaffe in 2000, when Philip, while touring a factory in Scotland, remarked that some electrical equipment looked so crude
"it must have been installed by an Indian."
"The Duke of Edinburgh regrets any offence which may have been caused by remarks he is reported as making earlier today," the palace said. "With hindsight, he accepts that what were intended as lighthearted comments were inappropriate."
I could have used those words, myself...
Let me reiterate:
I regret any offence which may have been caused by remarks I made earlier.
With hindsight, I accept that what were intended as lighthearted comments, were inappropriate.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:10   #38

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Reading a little bit of Phillips bio, he was quite a busy man. He averaged 350 official engagements year starting in 1950. He also served 5 years in the Royal Navy during WWII. Philip is listed as a president or patron in 816 organizations, the first of which was the Federation of London Youth Clubs (1947).

While he may have said less than tactful comments, he did live a life of service to the monarchy, and to the British people, all while playing his role of husband to the Queen. While I cannot imagine what life was like being a monarch...it seems he did a pretty good job of it by most accounts.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:56   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prince Phillip has sailed..

Quote:

Let me reiterate:
With hindsight, I accept that what were intended as lighthearted comments, were inappropriate.
Accepted.. Thank you..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:27   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the day I kick the bucket, very few people will likely say..."do you remember whatshisname?" and I doubt very much the media will pick up on my passing......
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:03   #41

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:

Let me reiterate:
Really quite big of you Gord, and makes me feel a bit better about all the unaccountable slinging that all too often passes for civil discussion on this and other internet forums. Unfortunately, I knew little about Prince Phillip until now and therefore had no judgment, but I now understand why he was so admired and loved by many.

As for his various public comments over many years, I think it shows why it's so important to judge based on someone's character, actions and values in the totality, and not just on words. Oftentimes (but not always), selected instances of retroactively labeled "political incorrectness" are a poor, merely superficial means of evaluating someone's character. I used to take it for granted that most understood this intuitively, but nowadays it's been abused and distorted for mostly political ends, and in the process puts a damper, imho, on free and open (civil) discussion. With even the little I've learned about Prince Philip over the past couple of days, I can't imagine he would have approved of this trend.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:48   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I think to be a public figure must be incredibly difficult. No matter where you are, or what you think, say or do, you will be hounded by media, crowds of people, etc, etc.
99.9% of the time, this man could pull it off, and even that 0.1% slip of occasional tongue was delivered in style..

I could not do it....not even for a minute......but to do it in style and aplomb requires a strength of character and personality that requires a steadfast and resolute mindset.

Were that US politicians had only 1/100th this man's class......
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:34   #43
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I suppose I should, also, have accorded Phillip the dignity of his full title:

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip [of Greece and Denmark], Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Member of the Order of Merit, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Knight of the Order of Australia, Additional Member of the Order of New Zealand, Extra Companion of the Queen’s Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada, Extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit, Lord of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom.
While Phillip had many titles, he also had quite a few surnames in his 99 years.

His father's family name was 'Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg'.

In February 1947, he became a British subject (renouncing rights to the Greek and Danish thrones) and took his mother's family name 'Mountbatten'. Previously his mother's family name had been 'Battenberg' which was considered too Germanic after the Great War.

In 1960 he took the family name of 'Mountbatten-Windsor' which allowed future lesser royals to continue the Mountbatten line. His children (AFAIK) retained the family name of Windsor at the direction of the British government. He has been quoted as saying 'he was the only man in the UK who could not give his children his own family name'
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:51   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Another mariner has sailed..

Apparently he once disguised himself as a Buckingham Palace guard [emoji63]*♀️ to innocently prank the Queen... Her smile says it all... True gentleman.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1618156227.365414.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	236321
Old 11-04-2021, 09:30   #45

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

This photograph is in 2003 in his uniform as Colonel of the Regiment, the Grenadier Guards.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, marine