Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2021, 09:52   #46
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another mariner has sailed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Apparently he once disguised himself as a Buckingham Palace guard [emoji63]*♀️ to innocently prank the Queen... Her smile says it all... True gentleman.
Attachment 236321
I seem to remember this was supposedly at an event when guests and onlookers were being buzzed by some bee's..
Likely a comment by the Duke cracked her up..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:00   #47

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Prince Phillip has sailed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn33 View Post
This photograph is in 2003 in his uniform as Colonel of the Regiment, the Grenadier Guards.
John
Just out of curiosity, and if anyone knows, I keep hearing Philip referenced in media coverage as "Captain-General." Anyone know which of his many titles and positions this references? (I'm not familiar with British military ranks).
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:17   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prince Phillip has sailed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Just out of curiosity, and if anyone knows, I keep hearing Philip referenced in media coverage as "Captain-General." Anyone know which of his many titles and positions this references? (I'm not familiar with British military ranks).
He was Captain-General of the Royal Marines..
Attached Images

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 11-04-2021, 10:51   #49

Re: Another mariner has sailed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Apparently he once disguised himself as a Buckingham Palace guard [emoji63]*♀️ to innocently prank the Queen... Her smile says it all... True gentleman.
Attachment 236321
The photographer was really paying attention and ready to get the photo. That is a great image.

What a great smile.

I wonder what he said?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 15:31   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
He was Captain-General of the Royal Marines..
Ah-Ha! Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captai..._Royal_Marines
Old 11-04-2021, 16:05   #51

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
It is impressive that a British man who was on public assistance all his life and who never had a job can live to be nearly 100 years old! That could never happen in a lot of other countries and is a testament to the strong social safety net. Of course having some family money helped too, no doubt.

Sir, this post says far more about you than the Duke, I would hazard a guess that he achieved much more in a year than you will in a lifetime.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 17:46   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

that photo of him in the guard uniform sez it all...my respect for the man just jumped 1,000 fold...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 13:42   #53

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Sir, this post says far more about you than the Duke, I would hazard a guess that he achieved much more in a year than you will in a lifetime.
It looks like I’m not the only person who was not impressed either:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...e_iOSApp_Other

He seems to have set a record for complaints to the BBC over the coverage of his death. I thought the Subjects of the Queen were supposed to know him better than anyone, if so, they don’t want to hear about it. And don’t want to be constantly bombarded with hagiographic tributes either.

It’s almost as if the people of the UK don’t have any great love for the royal family anymore. Except for such sterling characters as that Piers Morgan guy: he still has his lips firmly pressed to the Royal Sphincter!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 13:54   #54

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I certainly have not been as rude and insensitively offensive to as many different peoples and cultures as him, that’s for sure.

I don’t have much use for so-called self titled “royalty “, but this guy had no respect or understanding for anyone who wasn’t a white upperclass drone like himself. Otherwise why would the press be filled with instances of him being insulting to other cultures and using the immunity afforded by his position to treat that as a big joke. This is simply an insensitive hyper entitled man taking advantage of a vast imbalance of power to be rude and even cruel to others. Nothing funny about that at all. Evidently “royal” birth is no guarantee of nobility of character.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 14:59   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prince Phillip has sailed..

Woodie.. I started this thread to mark a sailors death..
You have chosen to stick your nose in to denigrate the man, you could have just ignored the thread.
Youve just come out with snide comments about a man who as far as I am aware caused you no harm.
As for his humour.. He spoke from the shoulder and called a spade a spade..
You claim racism.. what's racist about asking aborigines if they're still chucking spears at each other..
Did they laugh or were they offended.. do you even know or is it just leftie anti royal spin..
Cry "Freedom of Speech" while whimpering about someone practicing it.
There was nothing to stop one of them black fellas responding with "Naah mate.. We only do that with cheeky white fellas now"
He'd likely have roared with laughter..
Asking a Brit about not being eaten in PNG.. hell they were still practicing canabalism 50yrs ago.. in fact there was a case just a few years back.
So glad he offended you..
His existence was not in vain..

Old 12-04-2021, 16:16   #56

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Boatie, SPOT ON!
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 16:50   #57

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
You have chosen to stick your nose in to denigrate the man, you could have just ignored the thread.
Youve just come out with snide comments about a man who as far as I am aware caused you no harm.
You claim racism.. what's racist about asking aborigines if they're still chucking spears at each other..
Did they laugh or were they offended.. do you even know or is it just leftie anti royal spin..
There was nothing to stop one of them black fellas responding with "Naah mate.. We only do that with cheeky white fellas now"
Asking a Brit about not being eaten in PNG.. hell they were still practicing canabalism 50yrs ago.. in fact there was a case just a few years back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=images (1).jpg Views: 42 Size: 31.5 KB ID: 236422" style="margin: 2px" />

(btw, in fact they do still throw spears at each other...)

cheers,
Old 12-04-2021, 17:01   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
99 years, 8 quoteable quotes.

Struth, when I'm out on day release I can better that for racially and sexually - usually combined - inappropriate comments before lunch.

RIP Phil
THIS!!!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 19:26   #59

Quote:
Yea, I rather like the idea of irritating the all too sanctimonious PC crowd who all too often seem to irritate me. But then just imagine what it'd be like going through life waiting to be offended by superficialities which all too often have no connection to a person's character, disposition, or intentions. Same crowd who routinely judge based on equally superficial and usually inaccurate stereotypes, as if the status of being a "Royal" is dispositive of what sort of human being someone is.

Besides, Philip was a sailor and also had strong connections to the Royal Marines. I'm sure his "salty" comments and demeanor endeared him to both. Not sure about the Royal types, but the US Marines have a long-standing reputation for the foulest of mouths but the purest of hearts (ok, well maybe the latter's an exaggeration but you get the idea). I hope this never changes as it's much more preferable to those who make all this effort to be holier-than-thou on the outside, but are self-important, judgmental ***** on the inside.

Thanks for the post Boatie.
Old 13-04-2021, 02:32   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Evidently “royal” birth is no guarantee of nobility of character.
And "ordinary" birth is no guarantee, either.

In the immortal words of Flower the Skunk,
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

LittleWing77

Thanks for remembering Prince Phil, Boatie.
I'm not much of a royalist, but I AM a sailor.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, marine