Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 17:37   #1

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25
Please help

I have an opportunity to pick up a 30 ft Pearson on the west coast here in communist California which place I detest and I want to get out of here so bad I can taste it! I'm thinking boats here probably going to be less saturated with moisture than boats in the South or on the East Coast because of all the rain you guys get and in Florida it seems to be impossible to find a decent boat that I can touch. I understand passing through the Panama canal is going to cost a couple Grand, I'm all right with that I just want to get out of here but the same time I'm wondering what I should watch out for buying this Pearson.

A little background on myself, I just turned 50 I have a 9 year old daughter that I'm not allowed to see because of communist fascist nazi scumbag family Court Democrat home-wrecking bastards shoving garbage rulings down my family's throats. If I don't do something drastic I'm going to die, I'm severely extremely depressed, I'm not suicidal I want to be around for when my daughter grows up, IF she grows up, I just want to get back to the East Coast and go to some beautiful places like the Bahamas and heal. some of this stuff is cryptic to me, evidently there's no intercoastal waterway on the west coast like on the east coast and anchoring out here is not really allowed due to the winds that blow inland causing boats to crash into the shore they have put restrictions in place to stop that. California is very unfriendly and I don't want to stay here anymore I'm looking for someone to take an interest and guide me please. I don't want to drive to the East Coast, I'm tired of this country and all the stinking cops and laws and fees, fines, tolls and tariffs shoved down our throats and jammed up our backsides frankly, I just want peace and to be left alone and to heal and live in peace while In get my health back. Please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200325_173906_01.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	211267   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200325_173910_01.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	211268  

Name:	IMG_20200325_173912_01.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	211269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200325_173914_01.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	211270  

Name:	IMG_20200325_173915_01.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	211271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200325_173919_01.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	211272  

Name:	IMG_20200325_173917_01.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	211273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200325_173922_01.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	211274  

Name:	IMG_20200325_173924_01.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	211275  
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 17:51   #2

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Please help

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruisin...y-punk-sailors

wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 18:31   #3

I don't think I've ever been so quickly understood! Thank you very much ❤️❤️❤️ ❤️
Old 25-03-2020, 18:41   #4

Welcome aboard Killyourguitar, I am sure someone can help in your time of need.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 19:01   #5

I'm planning to pick the boat up in the morning I talked to a gentleman hoping he'll rent his mooring (he has listed for sale) so I can get the boat situated, I haven't heard back from him yet... I have a truck load with a service bed on it full of tools, two large solar panels with an entire system including batteries, various parts to other sailboats like some sails, genoas and jibs for smaller boats... I have a butane stove with fuel, a Coleman 12-volt swamp cooler on my camper that I intend to take off and fit on the boat, plenty of laundry, first aid supplies, safety equipment etc...

I need advice on how to get through the Panama canal cheap or free if possible, I don't know if the engine runs on that boat but I have mechanics tools and know-how...

I appreciate this website, prayers are appreciated also.

I'll need navigation aids like paper charts maps etc and/or a good app for my cell phone, I would like to come across some cheap or free sonar equipment (if such a thing exists) in hopes to avoid underwater collisions with strange floating items like conex boxes and so forth... I'm open to all cheap, free or diy advice/suggestions... I'll report my findings when I get to the boat in the morning.

Thank you all for your help! ❤️
Old 25-03-2020, 19:18   #6

There is no way of getting through the canal "cheap or free". For a 30 foot boat it is US$880. No charity, no negotiating, prayers won't help with that either.

Assuming you can get through at all right now....

I know you don't want to hear this... but you seriously will find it way cheaper (and safer!) to put the boat on a truck and move it across country that way.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 19:27   #7

Boat: center console

+1 Hire a truck
Plan B: Florida is full of 30' boats, start with craigslist
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 22:01   #8

Too late, I already signed up. So after an examination it appears that water said in the bottom for a while is someone drained it out but that's okay, boats are supposed to have water in them. And people and food and dogs and cats and birds and raccoons and stuff. So there's an atomic 4 in there with water in the crankcase, I'm going to see if I can get it started as is and burn the water off see if the engine continues to run. If not oh well it's a sailboat :-) I have a motor mount in a few outboards I can stick on it, I think it's going to clean up all right, appears there's no leaks, through hulls look pretty good, I scraped a bunch of slimey's off the bottom today and the ablative looks pretty good... A gentleman's going to rent me his mooring down by Newport Beach and he knows that I'm going to be cleaning the daylights out of the boat. I figure I'll take her out a few times and test her out before posting an ad for some ride-alongs. Figure out see if there's any ladies out there tough enough who want to just get away for a while. Where are we going? I have no idea. I've already been insane and I've seen all that the United States has to offer so I thought about shooting down south maybe go take a look at some of those wonders down there.

So I have some questions,

1 where can I get charts for South America's Coasts?

2 does anybody have experience sailing on the west coast of South America willing to let me pick their brain?

3 is there a bunch of Coast guard, Navy and other law enforcement tyrants hanging out on the coast of South America trying to nail people?

4 what kind of paperwork should I have?
Old 26-03-2020, 22:23   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by killyourguitar View Post

1 where can I get charts for South America's Coasts?

2 does anybody have experience sailing on the west coast of South America willing to let me pick their brain?

3 is there a bunch of Coast guard, Navy and other law enforcement tyrants hanging out on the coast of South America trying to nail people?

4 what kind of paperwork should I have?
All ports south of Mexuco are closed due to cv19. It is likely Mexico will be locked down fairly soon.

#1. See opencpn and then find the worldwide cmap chart download.
#2. Its a long trip that is impractical to make right now. Mexico has many stops, El Salvador a few, as does Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Buy the online guide from Sarana for details.
#3. Each country has navy that is guarding their borders. Like any other country. If you treat them like they are out to nail you, it probably won't end well for you.
#4. You need a valid passport, boat registration or documentation, and exit documentation, a zarpe, from your previous port ( with the exception of leaving tbe US for Mexico)
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 02:58   #10

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by killyourguitar View Post
I have an opportunity to pick up a 30 ft Pearson on the west coast here in communist California which place I detest and I want to get out of here so bad I can taste it! I'm thinking boats here probably going to be less saturated with moisture than boats in the South or on the East Coast because of all the rain you guys get and in Florida it seems to be impossible to find a decent boat that I can touch. I understand passing through the Panama canal is going to cost a couple Grand, I'm all right with that I just want to get out of here but the same time I'm wondering what I should watch out for buying this Pearson.

A little background on myself, I just turned 50 I have a 9 year old daughter that I'm not allowed to see because of communist fascist nazi scumbag family Court Democrat home-wrecking bastards shoving garbage rulings down my family's throats. If I don't do something drastic I'm going to die, I'm severely extremely depressed, I'm not suicidal I want to be around for when my daughter grows up, IF she grows up, I just want to get back to the East Coast and go to some beautiful places like the Bahamas and heal. some of this stuff is cryptic to me, evidently there's no intercoastal waterway on the west coast like on the east coast and anchoring out here is not really allowed due to the winds that blow inland causing boats to crash into the shore they have put restrictions in place to stop that. California is very unfriendly and I don't want to stay here anymore I'm looking for someone to take an interest and guide me please. I don't want to drive to the East Coast, I'm tired of this country and all the stinking cops and laws and fees, fines, tolls and tariffs shoved down our throats and jammed up our backsides frankly, I just want peace and to be left alone and to heal and live in peace while In get my health back. Please help.
I'm pretty sure the Panama Canal is closed to sailboats at the moment. Panama is quite strictly closed down now for Corona.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 03:12   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Bite the bullet and call off that deal.

Drive/fly/Amtrak over to the East coast and pick up a boat to heal from Florida.

It's an awesome sounding trip through the canal, but what are your actual goals?

Don’t let the virus turn that dream through the canal into a nightmare
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 03:36   #12

Well I figure I won't be leaving for a couple of months, maybe three or four. I have to clean the boat spic-and-span first and then pull that engine probably break it down and hopefully rebuild it... Lots of cleaning to be done. Then I want to spiff up the woodwork make sure everything's tight and sealed. There's a couple of cracked Port lights then I want to replace... There's a good bit of work to be done yet
Old 27-03-2020, 05:01   #13

Throw the A4 away. Or trade it for anything useful on a boat. And get a 3cyl used Universal diesel. It'll it fit perfectly as they were meant to be direct replacements for A4 (same company). And while you're at it install an add'l fuel tank but at some location where the weight will not disbalance the boat.

I'm with the previous posters re: trucking as a better alternative to transiting the Canal. And you don't need to truck all the way to FL, just to Texas somewhere. Splash there and it's a strait shot to FL.

Canal before cv19 was a major PITA for small vessels. I was there as a crew in 2017 and witnessed all of the local bureaucracy at its worst. Between transit fee, handlers charges, visa/permits costs, marina fees, baksheesh left and right and whatnot you'd be definitely better off just trucking to TX. Especially time wise.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 05:06   #14
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Think you will find working on your new boat quite theraputic and distracting.
Hopefully you will be feeling much better when you are ready to leave
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 05:08   #15

Great advice guys, any idea how to find a trailer for this boat? Maybe a rental? I have a f250 super with a gas 460 efi, do you think that would tow it?

Tags
lease