Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2015, 11:29   #16

Re: Planning to trailer my C&C 30' MKII

Another idea would be somewhat of a Hybrid solution
Have the proper trailer built and then hire an Experienced Driver with the Proper tractor or truck to tow it via USHIP or something similar.
That way it's their responsibility for all clearences,hassels and insurance
and you save considerable wear and tear on you own vehicle.
You could even drive the pilot vehicle if one is needed for further
cost savings. When I bought my 19' Mariner having no experience
driving with a trailer this is what I did. Didn't fancy a drive from
Long Island NY on the Long Island Expressway then over the Throgs Neck Bridge, Cross Bronx Expressway,George Washington Bridge and then thru most of New Jersey to the lake where the boat is now. The fellow showed up with this Giant F350 Diesel, checked out my trailer I checked out his Insurance and two hours later my boat was at its new home. Took alot of agnst out of my life
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 12:03   #17

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer86 View Post
Boat is chained to the trailer, windage on the side of the hull will move the trailer " downwind" causing sway. Different than a boat in the water
You towed a 8500 pound boat plus "gear"on a trailer that weighs 3000 lbs and is rated for 12000 pounds? Sounds like your rig is over weight and basically not legal. I'd keep that a secret from your insurance company
Well aware of basic physics - hence the use of an anti-sway bar.

Didn't mention the weight of the gear. Most heavy gear was in the bed of the 1 ton pick-up. If the trailer is rated at 12,000 lbs and the whole thing weighed 12,000 lbs would I be over weight? My brother drives OTR - trailers routinely weight right up to the limit. No other way to make a living.

The trailer was purchased for this purpose. The company knew the weight of the boat when they offered this particular model. The purchaser wouldn't have purchased anything other than what was proper.

Keel boats are towed all the time across country. I wonder why this seems alien to you.
Old 27-03-2015, 14:53   #18

Boat: Nordic 44

PM,

Trailer design - you should be fine with the dual axle set up IF you opt for the walking beam suspension. Stay away from torsion bar setups. Trailer builders will push you toward TB's because they are cheaper. They will severely overload one axle with relatively minor changes in tongue heights. Strongly suggest a gooseneck hitch for stability. My trailer comes in at 3600 lbs empty with the keel support, six pads and mast carriage. Use broken back cross frame members at the keel support to get it as low as possible.

Permits - in the western US you can pre-purchase and get routing instructions at the DOT of the originating state. Under 12 ft on over width permits were not that expensive. I don't have any experience at the border except marine crossing. As recommended above, time and money may make the Trans Canada the shortest route. Northern Ontario is a lonely stretch, for sure.

We have a boat that requires seasonal haulouts at a high altitude location. A good trailer and indoor storage are a must. Rigging it for over the road won't add that much.

Good luck with your excellent adventure, and stay away from Chicago if you go that way.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 15:26   #19

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I agree completely re the torsion bar suspension. I looked at converting my trailer and spoke at length with the outfit where I got the disc brake conversion. I was told to avoid the TB setup because any irregularity in the loading would destroy the TB suspension.

Just make sure your loads are within the specs and you will be ok with tandem. I had to do some maneuvering in tight places and doing that with a triple would have had some negative effect on the tires.

Gooseneck trailer would be the best. Alas, mine isn't set up like that.
Old 29-03-2015, 22:58   #20

I've hauled aircraft all over the eastern U.S. and Canada. Given that the cost of the extra axle isn't much more than the dual axle, I would recommend the tri-axle trailer simply for the smoother ride and stability. If it were me, I would stay on the Canadian side just to avoid the hassles of border crossing, licensing and dealing with some of these large cities and their traffic. It might take you an extra day, but it's just so much easier. If you insist on travelling through the U.S. you can get oversize permitting info from most state government web sites. Each state has it's own rules, don't expect too much consistency between states either. In Ontario you can purchase an annual oversize permit, but I believe there are restrictions to the maximum limits. Alberta may have something similar. One last thing if I may, ensure that your truck is up to the task with regard to brakes, engine and transmission. Best of luck.
JohnnyMack is offline   Reply With Quote