Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2012, 21:44   #61

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Re: Pitch In And Help

A small group of locals showed up tonight and we removed two pickup truck loads of stuff off the boat.
Jay had, according to my instructions boxed up a lot of his stuff for removal.
Unfortunately, he didn't follow my instructions to get on board and oversee passing the stuff over the side. As a result, an over eager volunteer started just throwing boxes over the side. Some cds ended up in the water and Jay went ballistic. It took a while to calm him down again but finally we proceeded to off load as much as possible.
Jay had cleaned up the dog poop from the deck as I had asked him to and the only other mishap was that I caught my finger in his wire rope winch.
That's ok though. If I ain't bleeding, I ain't working.

We removed the lifelines, dodger, washing machine, generator, boom, mainsail, jib and dog.
It's a start, but the boat is still filled with literally tons of crap.
We plan to have another go at it tomorrow night. Jay gave me his word that he will try to pack up as much stuff as he can and have all his electronics unconnected and ready to remove.

Some friends volunteered to keep his dog for a few days and Jay is going to stay with a friend.
I called the local police and informed them that no one was going to be on board and asked them to please check on the boat as often as possible as there is no way to secure the cabin.

Good night all. And thanks for the encouragement.
Steve
Old 30-07-2012, 06:37   #62

Location: Bristol PA, on the Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht club.
Boat: Oday 30, 4'11" draft

Oh my sounds like a scene from TLC's show "hoarding, buried alive"
DeniseO30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 06:47   #63

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Just another update after speaking with Steve(knothead)

1. He is asking for as many loacal people as possible to help off load the boat tonight at 5:00 PM

2. Bring a truck if possible, bring a dock cart if you have one. Bring a buddy.

3. I will also be there, to help.

4. Capt'n Jay appears to have gotten himself into some type of altercation and maybe at the local VA hospital. (this is 3rd hand and has not been confirmed)

5. Last an not least be careful when you open you wallets to make sure it goes where it is needed.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 07:02   #64

Boat: Heritage East 40

Steve,
You're a freaking Saint!
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 07:21   #65

Just curious, but do any of you EVER help a land based bum?

How about if I GAVE him 10 years worth of slip fees, NEXT TO YOUR SLIP?

No wonder Fla had been busy regulating anchoring....

HE, and other bums, are why...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 07:32   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Just curious, but do any of you EVER help a land based bum?

How about if I GAVE him 10 years worth of slip fees, NEXT TO YOUR SLIP?

No wonder Fla had been busy regulating anchoring....

HE, and other bums, are why...
You've missed the whole issue. The objective is to get the boat off the beach. Period. It shows the community that sailors can work for the betterment of the sailing community.

The societal issue is separate, and probably won't be addressed.

Now, if your going to be helpful, what can you bring to the table to assist? HINT: Some people are actually spending their own money on this to remove the boat.
Old 30-07-2012, 07:37   #67
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
You've missed the whole issue. The objective is to get the boat off the beach. Period. It shows the community that sailors can work for the betterment of the sailing community.

The societal issue is separate, and probably won't be addressed.

Now, if your going to be helpful, what can you bring to the table to assist? HINT: Some people are actually spending their own money on this to remove the boat.

For me that isn't the issue.

For me it isn't the issue that he is apparently a hoarder. We have a lot of freedom to be odd in this country.

FOR ME -- it's whether something like this will happen again. If/when it does (and I think it will be a "when"), it seems likely to me that other boaters who have acted more responsibly will be at risk.

I realize the man can't cope with his situation. I don't judge him for that. In that particular case, there but for the Grace of God DO I go. There's little protection from developing such a disabling problem. We don't know why it happens and we don't really know who is vulnerable.

Nevertheless, the next time his boat breaks free he could hit other boaters. With his size, he could do a tremendous amount of damage. I don't LIKE that this man's life has come to a crisis, but it was inevitable, and it will happen again. If he could have pulled himself up by his bootstraps, he would have.

I don't believe he can control the actions that lead to the problems he have that impact others. I see that as the problem. So to me, putting his boat back on the water is no solution. it's a set-up and serve for the next big problem.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 08:19   #68
cruiser

Raku - for crying out loud - take the psycho-social debates to the other thread. If you're going to help - great. If you're just going to talk - you already have another thread for that.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 09:11   #69

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

For those that are worried about what will happen after the boat is removed from the beach. Just trust us that this will be addressed, it is to soon to say what is going to happen, but something possitive will happen if it can happen.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 09:51   #70

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
For those that are worried about what will happen after the boat is removed from the beach. Just trust us that this will be addressed, it is to soon to say what is going to happen, but something possitive will happen if it can happen.
I'm sure the first order of business will be to ensure appropriate ground tackle.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 09:57   #71

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
For me that isn't the issue.

For me it isn't the issue that he is apparently a hoarder. We have a lot of freedom to be odd in this country.

FOR ME -- it's whether something like this will happen again. If/when it does (and I think it will be a "when"), it seems likely to me that other boaters who have acted more responsibly will be at risk.

I realize the man can't cope with his situation. I don't judge him for that. In that particular case, there but for the Grace of God DO I go. There's little protection from developing such a disabling problem. We don't know why it happens and we don't really know who is vulnerable.

Nevertheless, the next time his boat breaks free he could hit other boaters. With his size, he could do a tremendous amount of damage. I don't LIKE that this man's life has come to a crisis, but it was inevitable, and it will happen again. If he could have pulled himself up by his bootstraps, he would have.

I don't believe he can control the actions that lead to the problems he have that impact others. I see that as the problem. So to me, putting his boat back on the water is no solution. it's a set-up and serve for the next big problem.

I don't know what Will happen after this. But I do know that people, even at their lowest, can change. Sometimes it just takes a little help from friends, some extra motivation, or even a life threatening crisis. The turning point is just as variable as the individuals issues.

So, maybe its possible he does want to fix his boat and get himself out of this 10 year slump he's been in. But for whatever reason, he hasn't been able to do that on his own. To say that he won't, or can't, is not very fair. This could be turning point. Or it might not change a thing. The fact is, you don't know where this man will be in his life next year. The terribleness of his situation combined with the compassion and helpfulness of his neighbors could very well change everything.

It's worth a try, anyway.
Old 30-07-2012, 10:52   #72

Boat: Heritage East 40
Wow lots of people being pretty judgmental.

What if Captn Jay Doesn't want to change? It's a free country. Still...
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 11:10   #73

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

We are going to need as many sailboats as possible to anchor off and use their winches to incrementally pull this boat free.
We are going to need at least one BIG power boat to throw up a wake.
Old 30-07-2012, 11:50   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719
Coordination....
Is there a plan to seal the boat, esp companionway, to prevent her filling up if you heel her right over?
I hope this isn't too late since I just found this thread but maybe some diver can have lift bags ready to boat or keep her afloat if any damage. I'm sure there are dive groups in the area.

You are doing a great thing-helping others can transform someone's life. People have problems sometimes and some are doing the best they can. This is a hand up not a hand out.

Best of Luck! Gloria
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 12:06   #75
Armchair Bucketeer

There is now a VOLUNTEER NOW! form here:-

https://sites.google.com/a/jaytac.com/float-a-boat-com/home/volunteer-now[/URL]

The Form was written by avb3......and it goes off to him (somewhere!) not to me (he is managing a few e-mail addresses for Knothead).

If anyone knows of any other press reports (than those already listed) let me know (on this thread).

https://sites.google.com/a/jaytac.com/float-a-boat-com/home/links[/URL]
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote