Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44   #181

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Re: Pitch In And Help

I've been congratulated a lot, too much actually, and I know I haven't acknowledged those posts. It makes me uncomfortable. But I do appreciate it. Now stop please.

I do need to ask a bit more however.
There is quite a bit of stuff, mostly line that was used that hasn't been reclaimed by those who brought it.
I would like to see everything returned to it's owners if they want it, and what's left over used in the prevention of stuff like this in the future.

If you were there and you brought something that you want back, please contact me and we'll make arrangements to get it back to you. Right now it's in a big pile in my driveway.

Brian, Tom, Linda. I'm so sorry I didn't mention you in my thank you post. I know you weren't the only ones I neglected to mention by name. You were indispensable.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45   #182

Off at the Beach and At Risk for Derelict on The Gabber

(Editor's Note: This story is a follow-up to Thursday's cover story, "It Takes a Village to Raise a Sailboat".)
Just two days after volunteers pushed and pulled John Burki’s sailboat Promise off Gulfport’s beach, Gulfport Police Officer Jason Motte posted an "At Risk Vessel Notice" on the boat’s hull. The notice, which Police Chief Rob Vincent tells us the police have also sent to Mr. Burki at his Veteran's Administration hospital bed, tells Mr. Burki that his boat is in risk of being designated a derelict vessel.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:03   #183

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post

(Editor's Note: This story is a follow-up to Thursday's cover story, "It Takes a Village to Raise a Sailboat".)
Just two days after volunteers pushed and pulled John Burki’s sailboat Promise off Gulfport’s beach, Gulfport Police Officer Jason Motte posted an "At Risk Vessel Notice" on the boat’s hull. The notice, which Police Chief Rob Vincent tells us the police have also sent to Mr. Burki at his Veteran's Administration hospital bed, tells Mr. Burki that his boat is in risk of being designated a derelict vessel.
It would seem someone has been reading the forums
Old 04-08-2012, 12:10   #184

Boat: Tartan 30

NOTE: He should be able to fix the registration and anchor light issue, and be granted more time to work on the helm/rigging issues.

The article (and the note) makes it sound like the boat has 90 days to become moveable. From my understanding, that is not necessarily true.

The apparent goal of the FWC 'at risk vessel' notice is to encourage the owner to take action. Not necessarily to remove the vessel. If the owner does nothing to prove his willingness to improve the boats condition, then removal can/will be enforced.
Old 04-08-2012, 14:02   #185
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

What is an "At Risk Vessel"?
An “at-risk vessel” is defined as “a vessel exhibiting conditions known to precede a derelict condition and which cause an officer to have just concern for its welfare.” Indicators that a vessel may be considered at risk include, but are not limited to, the following:
(a) Improper, non-working, or no anchor light, which is a hazard to navigation (Section 327.33 and 327.44 F.S.), when combined with an owner/operator who is not tending to the vessel.
(b) Vessel is neglected, improperly maintained, or is not able to be used for navigation as intended
(c) Vessel does not comply with current registration requirements (S. 328.46 F.S.) when combined with an owner/operator who is not tending to the vessel.
(d) Vessel is barnacle-laden
(e) Vessel interior is exposed to the elements (rain, waves, etc.)
(f) Vessel is listing
(g) Vessel is aground
(h) Vessel is in danger of breaking its mooring
(i) Vessel is sinking

See ➥ At Risk Vessels

Then ➥ Florida Anchoring Issues: The FWC Comments...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 14:21   #186

Boat: Heritage East 40
Well that explains why the police can't respond to crazy boaters. Oh wait, they are responding...
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 15:18   #187

The irritating thing to me is that if the officials had done their job in the first place, the boat probably would never have washed up on the beach.
From what I understand, the boat has been there for at least a couple of years and the ground tackle, engine, rigging, and MSD problems have existed for that whole time.

This wasn't a surprise. Just as it won't be a surprise when the next one drags and blows up on someone's waterfront.

I guess the governing bodies are restricted by too much bureaucracy to actually take action.

I don't want to see new regulations. I would just like to see the ones already in place enforced.

I guess it's up to us.
Old 04-08-2012, 15:46   #188

Boat: Compass 47, G&S 25

Steve -

Charlie (your former happy employee!) and I left some line, 5/8, green and yellow flecked. It's not much, and Charlie thinks he left it on Jay's boat when he was clearing up line after the thing was moved out to anchor. Just in case it ended up in your pile, I wanted to let you know that it's not needed back; it can go to some other good use. Hopefully it's holding something on Jay's boat together!

We haven't made it back to Gulfport since Wednesday. Is the boat holding?

- Denise
Dyevochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:24   #189
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

I hope they will show as much diligence in trying to catch whoever is harassing Hatch, a live-aboard who creates problems for no one that I'm aware of.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:40   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyevochka View Post
Steve -

Charlie (your former happy employee!) and I left some line, 5/8, green and yellow flecked. It's not much, and Charlie thinks he left it on Jay's boat when he was clearing up line after the thing was moved out to anchor. Just in case it ended up in your pile, I wanted to let you know that it's not needed back; it can go to some other good use. Hopefully it's holding something on Jay's boat together!

We haven't made it back to Gulfport since Wednesday. Is the boat holding?

- Denise
There is a big pile of line on the porch, but no green and yellow fleck. It must be on the boat. Though I tried to grab all the loose stuff from the deck before I left her.
Tell Charlie senior that I'll buy the Newcastle next time.

To be honest, I haven't checked on the boat. Apparently, judging by the comments on the Times, Jay has a lot of support out there. He has friends. I have talked to them. I hope some of them are taking care of the boat for Jay.
To date, I've not heard a word from Jay himself, though I know that he talks to his friends.
I still have a brand new donated pump that could be used to rig up an automatic bilge pump system. Jay has a solar panel and we removed a number of batteries from the boat. His friends know this.

I appealed and still appeal to his friends to step up to the plate if they are concerned.

Evidently, the authorities have finally decided to get tough. Only problem is; it's going to evidently take three months to take possession of the boat or some such.

I'm kinda done. It's someone's else's job to take from here.
I hope they do.

Thank you for being there and busting your butts for me.
Hope to see you guys soon.
Steve
Old 04-08-2012, 16:42   #191
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
There is a big pile of line on the porch, but no green and yellow fleck. It must be on the boat. Though I tried to grab all the loose stuff from the deck before I left her.
Tell Charlie senior that I'll buy the Newcastle next time.

To be honest, I haven't checked on the boat. Apparently, judging by the comments on the Times, Jay has a lot of support out there. He has friends. I have talked to them. I hope some of them are taking care of the boat for Jay.
To date, I've not heard a word from Jay himself, though I know that he talks to his friends.
I still have a brand new donated pump that could be used to rig up an automatic bilge pump system. Jay has a solar panel and we removed a number of batteries from the boat. His friends know this.

I appealed and still appeal to his friends to step up to the plate if they are concerned.

Evidently, the authorities have finally decided to get tough. Only problem is; it's going to evidently take three months to take possession of the boat or some such.

I'm kinda done. It's someone's else's job to take from here.
I hope they do.

Thank you for being there and busting your butts for me.
Hope to see you guys soon.
Steve

You have done all that you can do and more than anyone could have reasonably expected of you. The ball is now in Jay's court, exactly where it belongs. He has a much extended deadline now -- 90 days instead of Aug. 8. What he does with it is up to him.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:44   #192
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If it is of any consulation or worth there is I believe a Pay it forward Karma. Next time an opportunity arises for me to lend a hand your efforts here will certainly help to inspire and motivate me into easier action the next time.
And from what I've read, I don't think it will be all that long till an opportunity arises, with the very same "cap'n"!!!

This Jay guy sounds like an idiot. A leech on society. If he was in a caravan rather than a boat, he most certainly would have met with a very different attitude I think. Or maybe not.

Given the circumstances, I think that everyone who has helped out deserves an extraordinary credit from Karma! Well done, Folks
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 16:30   #193

I know that I don't have any right to ask this, but could we please keep this thread open so that further updates to this saga can have a place to be posted.

I've written it before and I'll do so again. I don't disagree with any of the valid points made by folks about this.
I've tried to explain that there were many things that motivated my decision to take this on. Not the least of those reasons was a true concern for the man himself. The disease of alcoholism has affected my life directly from childhood. I hate it. But I don't want to hate the people who are affected by it.

So, there was a part of me that wanted to help the man. He probably hates me right now for that help. But I can take it.
I would not be at all surprised if he threatens to sue me. That is the sort of stuff he says. All I can say is good luck with that.

There was a part of me that just wanted to prove that a bunch of people, primarily the sailing community, working together could accomplish something that the government was too hogtied to do. Or if they did, would cost upward of ten grand.
And it worked. The community came together. Pulled and pushed together and we got it done.
That made me feel great. That gave me hope. That lessened my growing pessimism.

There was a part of me that just likes a challenge. And a challenge it was.

There was a part of me that thought about maybe picking up a little free publicity. What can I say? Times are tough.

There was a part of me that just wanted the boat off the darn beach. It was an eye sore. And they would have made a gawd-awful mess if they dried to remove it from there. Believe me. There was all kinds of paint and oil and gas cans coming out the wazoo on that boat.
If it's going to be scrapped, it should happen in a boatyard for crying out loud.

Anyway. We've beaten the subject to death. Jay is not the romantic, lovable water front character that the early news reports depicted. But he is a man. He is deserving of compassion. Sometimes compassion comes in the form of tough love.
My love may be a little tougher than that to which he is accustomed. I'm not going to apologize for it.

But really. His boat is off the beach and afloat. It can now be dealt with in a proper way. If it must be scrapped, and that's Jays decision, then it can be done properly and maybe he can even get a few bucks for it.
If he seriously wants to fix the boat up and is willing to face reality, that reality being that making that boat seaworthy is going to cost a lot of money and require a lot of work, and if he will accept the advice and help of those who claim to care about him, then I see no reason that he shouldn't keep working on the boat. But he should be working on it in a boatyard or some private property somewhere. Not while trying to live aboard it with a dog anchored off the swimming beach in Gulfport or in any other community.

The bottom line is that the situation is better than it was while the boat was on the beach. We can argue about this till the cows come home, but that part is not really up for debate.

So please, especially since the other thread has been locked, lets all behave ourselves here so that this one remains open for further updates and polite conversation.

Respectfully,
Steve
Old 06-08-2012, 17:17   #194
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you guys did a really awesome job--good work.
hope that jay is able to keep the boat until he leaves the hospital......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 17:49   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Steve - I know you have requested no accolades but to you and all the volunteers - well done!

I wish I had the writing skills to express how I feel about this whole story. Printing this thread and the other would definitely provide sufficient material for a modern sociology class.

From the naysayers and detractors, to the hogtied local government, to a man debilitated by the disease of alcoholism (and perhaps more) unable and/or unwilling to help himself to a group led by you that just said - lets do it.

This story has lifted my spirits and reminded me that every day somewhere in the USA there are communities taking care of each other for no gain other than the satisfaction of helping someone in need.

Don't stress about what happens next - you all have already done enough.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote