Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55   #181

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: PAN PAN....OR PON PON

My husband and I were chuckling last night over the 175 posts on how to pronounce the Pan Pan call. Then we got an even bigger laugh when I claimed that clearly "Pan" is the proper way, and he said he always heard "Pon" :-).....
Old 02-03-2013, 10:09   #182

This is silly ... and unimaginative way to convey the information.

What do you mean when you write down that the proper way to say it is "pan" or "pon" ? Am I suppose to imagine you saying that?

You are still writing it down using roman characters not sounding it using your vocal cords. It's one's written interpretation of a sound ... what reference are you using to transcribe the sound? Until, as it was already suggested, we start recording and sharing the actual sounds, this discussion is futile ...

... but I am sure we will reach 200 soon ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18   #183
CLOD

Boat: none

Peter Ping, Peter Ping, this the s/v Got to Kidding reporting a confusing thread on Cruiser's Forum

All readers should be a advised
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23   #184

Got2Kidding, Got2Kidding ... this is PeterPan ... roger that ... out.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27   #185

Boat: PETERSON 44
Sv got I'm ignoring you because you have used inappropriate pronunciation.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27   #186

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Here's a MayDay and a Pan-Pan call--the "pon-Pon" sound comes towards the end.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36   #187

Boat: PETERSON 44
Thank you.

See how she mispronounced pan pan but did not issue another mayday. Because the radio station she is in is not sinking. Very nice job on her part.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56   #188
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
"Anytime mariners feel they may be in a dangerous situation, we highly recommend they immediately contact the Coast Guard to make us aware of the problem regardless of how severe it may appear," said Cmdr. Mike Kendall, 17th Coast Guard District Chief of Search and Rescue.
Similarly, I imagine that a shoe salesman might advise us not to purchase shoes on the internet, but always to shop in a shoe store where our footware needs can be properly addressed by trained professionals.

I'm going to insist that not all requests for marine assistance need to be processed by the Coast Guard, despite Comdr Mike Kendall's feelings on the matter. Indeed, the further from shore one ventures, the more likely it is that assistance will come from sources other than the Coast Guard.

Were that not the case, we could all abandon marine VHF, and just program the Coast Guard's number into our cell phones.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03   #189
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY, despite what some replies here suggest.

Just listen to the real life CG recordings of emergency calls on YouTube, or ask your CG AUX friend. The more serious situation the less formal the call often is. When people are scared or fighting for their life they say what they think is most important in a given moment not what is proper or procedurally correct ... and CG/SAR responds without delay. I don't know about eye-rolling, but I doubt it when the call sounds like a serious life and death situation.

"This is XXX ... we are going down ..." is not that unusual MADAY call.
ehrmm sorry Richard, we are talking about a pan-pan, nothing life and death. Please don't make it into that because that is a completely different context.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10   #190

That's perfect example and illustration ... good case in point.

That CG PAN-PAN call that sounds to you "pon-pon" sounds to me "pan-pan" ... when I say PAN it sounds very much like that recording. If two of us would argue using written medium, we could do that till cows come home and never agree. Meantime, the sound we are trying to describe using different spelling is more less the same.

All is well ...
Old 02-03-2013, 11:17   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
ehrmm sorry Richard, we are talking about a pan-pan, nothing life and death. Please don't make it into that because that is a completely different context.
Agree ... I just tried to show that there is a room for flexibility, MAYDAY or PAN-PAN to some degree.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20   #192
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
That's perfect example and illustration ... good case in point.

That CG PAN-PAN call that sounds to you "pon-pon" sounds to me "pan-pan" ... when I say PAN it sounds very much like that recording. If two of us would argue using written medium, we could do that till cows come home and never agree. Meantime, the sound we are trying to describe using different spelling is more less the same.

All is well ...
Posts 29 & 50 have links to Google translate where you can listen to correct pronunciation
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:27   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I'm going to insist that not all requests for marine assistance need to be processed by the Coast Guard, despite Comdr Mike Kendall's feelings on the matter. Indeed, the further from shore one ventures, the more likely it is that assistance will come from sources other than the Coast Guard.
Just focusing on the gist of your reply and omitting the snotty part ... I have to agree with you. It all depends on the context ... location, situation, surrounding events.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Posts 29 & 50 have links to Google translate where you can listen to correct pronunciation
We can do it till blue moon ... believe me, when I say PAN, it sounds very much like that Google machine speech ... I would have to have cold and higher pitch to sound nearly identical. Actually, PAN is a word in my native language, and sounds very much like in that Google speech ... which is not that different from CG recording.

Keep in mind that no two human voices are identical, no two human intonations are the same ... add to this individual impediments, language accents, or local dialect influence ... and you are faced with 1001 ways the same "sound" comes out of peoples' mouth. You need to look past this ... or insist that only one digital signature of that sound is correct.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:48   #195
CLOD

Boat: none

too many "rules" to agrue about, I'm sure lots wouldn't agree but to me it doesn't matter in an emegency or if something is important how you say it as long as people listening understand

"yo yo dudes there is this big floating log in the channel between Salem and Marblehed you should watch out for so as not to get a crash"