Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2020, 13:27   #46

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: One thing I keep noticing about youtube videos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think youtube is such a fine place to share STORIES.

But advice?

Does it really take a 6 minute clip to explain to anybody how to exchange a Sika cartridge?

IMHO many many 'instructional' or advice videos have very very poor invested time / educational benefit ratio.

VERY POOR

Great for people who like to spend hours lookingat flickering screens. Not quite so good for result oriented individuals.

I do a couple of things online (to earn my daily b) and try to learn new things along too. This lifestyle choice involves searching for and digesting educative content regularly. And I cannot afford to watch things all day, as I want most of this day be used to build / program / create or otherwise produce stuff.

Now with my strongly visual preference in learning, I absolutely HATE most instructional videos. You can ask how come. That's quite simple. Most things shown in long videos can be easily expressed in two or three well written sentences.

Youtube videos? YES. Just used where they fit best: to tell stories, show beautiful vistas, feed our travel itch.

Cheers,
barnakiel

Acknowledging your perspective and what works for you is not a Youtube "how-to" video... however, for me Youtube is indispensable for learning how to do things and gaining confidence to do it myself. And this applies to many things beyond sailing and sailboat repair. I cannot tell you how much money I have saved by doing it myself and I only felt comfortable doing that AFTER looking at things on Youtube.. Obviously there are other sites and sources for How to- all of which are utilized often.

Old 23-07-2020, 13:28   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

Btw.

Watching salty dog I did not find his boat run down or something.

It seems low tech and basic but I think low tech and basic tends to go long way too.

Right now there is a guy in a 4.5 meter plywood pram sailing rtw from Europe. He is already in French Polynesia. Low tech, basic and minimal but otherwise doing fine.

I think people in small basic boats somehow seem to be always happy, and hell tired.

b.

barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 13:39   #48

Boat: EDELCAT33

YouTube is like cable TV in steroids.you can find the good, the bad, and the ugly. I rather have them available and decide who to watch than not having them at all.
After all most of it is entertaining
carlosproa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 00:41   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
All of you complaining about the 'begging' are probably type of people that listen to street performers and never drop a coin in the bucket.
There was a thot crying for money, as in real tears. Then another video the boyfriend said he was flying up to visit his rental properties. There will always be con men.
zamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 01:32   #50

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
I wonder how many thousands of dollars a million hits earns.

Depends on how rapidly you get to a million, how many views your channel typically gets, and what genres your channel falls under. For a smaller sailing channel that has a viral video hit a million in a few days, it will be around $1,000 to 1,500. La Vagebonde is the market leader in our sailing genres, and they constantly hit good numbers quickly - advertisers dream - so they are getting closer to $4k-10k for a million views on their newly released stuff.

Matt
Old 30-07-2020, 08:53   #51

Does it even matter the reason they are out there? It seems to me that many of YT videos are opening up sailing to new people. I assume most of you want this life experience promoted and growing. It's kind of like a church congregation, if its not growing, its dying. How long do you think it's going to take for someone to do another "Is sailing/cruising dying" thread?

There is a butt for every seat out there, so naturally like kinds gravitate to each other. There are those sailing on a shoestring budget all the way to those that are wealthy and financing it themselves. The YT vids show it can be done many different ways, so watch what you like, skip the rest. No sense in complaining on what they/you have/dont have. I always thought this life was for the rich and famous yacht club types until I saw Chasing Bubbles, then the whole "anyone with some sense" can do this.

Enjoy!
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:50   #52

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

It's interesting that these discussions come up so often in this cruising forum. I've never seen similar on tech or motorcycle forums and people have been posting to youtube about tech and bikes, cars etc.. for over a decade. Is it some kind of 'old salt scared of new tech, feeling the youth of today (none of them are that young) haven't paid their dues' mentality or something? That is how it comes across to me.

Tech, and motor forums probably have a younger age demographic than here.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:47   #53

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

to really go cruising you need to cut the umbilical cord to land...mentally, emotionally and physically...
I had no house...no house payment...
no car....no car payment...
owned my boat...no boat payment...
lived a healthy lifestyle....no health insurance...
fished and dove for my food almost all the time....often "sold" extra...usually lobster/crayfish to other sailors...low grocery bills....
learned to make my own bread and many other food tricks...
drank cheap beer....

my girlfriend of the day, made jewelry from shells, conc feet, beach debris, etc....couldn't make 'em quick enuff...they'd sell like hot cakes..
I would day charter people/tourists I met in pubs...
I would odd job on other boats, fixing or repairing stuff...did some deliveries...
learned to anchor out most of the time....

If I had $10 in my pocket, I felt " rich"...never, not once, did I ever worry about money....I had no investments rolling in, no dividend checks, no parental backup dollars, nothing...but I always seemed to have " just enuff"...and that is really all I needed..." just enuff" to fix, buy, repair, etc.....

I have never done blogs, youtube or otherwise advertise...simply not my style...hell, back in the day, there was no internet....no wifi....no cell phone....I sent postcards when I could...once in a blue moon, would spring for a long distance phone call.

You trim all this excess fat from your budget, you will be amazed at how little you can get by on...

From where I stand, it seems that some people devote an inordinate amount of time and effort to chasing after a dollar......you sure the heck can't take it with you....

to be sure, to have youth on your side is a blessing, but I have met many retired folks who can still kick butt...but you gotta " disconnect !!"
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 19:39   #54

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Have a look at Barry's 'Old Seadog' vids for a dose of reality.
just checked it out. Nice to see a realistic video without Millenials.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

https://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote