Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 11:00   #16

Re: One thing I keep noticing about youtube videos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
don't let all those megayachts that you and i will never own scare you away. unless you're planning deep ocean sailing you don't need a whole lot of boat or a whole lot of gear - just the right stuff.
I am planning on ocean sailing. Likely singlehanded (Hopefully not, but it pays to be prepared). And a starting cash budget around $70k.

I'll probably be fine, I suppose it's just so daunting seeing all these people solving problems by throwing money at them. Or never having problems they can't afford to fix.
Lasivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 11:35   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Well.

Youtube is out there to make money, not to make friends. It is a Google company, after your money and your data.

Disregard youtube stories, unless you you know they come from real people doing real things. It is hard, at the beginning, to spot the influencers. But over time, like with any skill, you become quite good at telling them apart. Just mind which pill you take.

Big blue eyes, 20.y.o, telling you cruising will cost you $$$ a month? Move on.

And why do they always beg for money, if they are apparently very rich people, sailing Amels and Outremers???

I sail a small boat. I do not sell my half naked body on youtube splash screens. And I do not beg.

And I am 100% fine with other people living, cruising and making money the way they like. It would be a most boring world if we were all alike.

Now the budget. At a point in your life you will opt between creating a budget (learning marketing and production, buying gear, spending your TIME making (or not) some money) VERSUS spending your time sailing.

Do not worry about somebody else's budget. Get a boat and go sailing. The wind is still mostly free these days.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 11:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
I am planning on ocean sailing. Likely singlehanded (Hopefully not, but it pays to be prepared). And a starting cash budget around $70k.

I'll probably be fine, I suppose it's just so daunting seeing all these people solving problems by throwing money at them. Or never having problems they can't afford to fix.

A decent GRP boat for a single-hander will cost in the range of 1-5k. Add maybe 5k for updates, repairs and the financial blunders we make early on (like say docking in marinas and going bars).

So you have 60k to invest and live/cruise on. You can then simply keep 5k in your current account and invest the reminder in better return. Some (not me) claim on this forum that 6% is attainable. Ask them how.

I can only tell you that sailing is never FREE will never be.

Neither does it cost $$$ (not yet anyways) as long as you are into sailing and cruising as opposed to impressing others or yourself, with what cruising "should look like".

Stop watching those youtubers. They are hurting you.

People are solving challenges throwing money at them? So what. It is their money not yours. Let them be. You can save your challenges with much less money, some duct tape and WD40.

Do so.

Cheers,
b.
Old 31-05-2020, 11:55   #19

"Never having problems they cannot afford to fix"

NONSENSE

What about cancer, tax officer or global recession ???

AND WHICH OF THE ABOVE THINGS IS SAILING ?????

Anybody and everybody runs into problems we can't fix. Even SpaceX if you cared to watch their first attempt

Weather. Tiredness. Incompetence. Gps outtage. Things we cannot solve. No matter what cash you have or have not.

Pass.

Disregard the money block. You have enough to last you a while. And you can always work along the way, study new things, start a business, whatever. Or simply return to the land and societal cushion.

You are seeing a problem where there is none.

Look at the moon, not the finger.

b.
Old 31-05-2020, 11:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A decent GRP boat for a single-hander will cost in the range of 1-5k. Add maybe 5k for updates, repairs and the financial blunders we make early on (like say docking in marinas and going bars).
Interesting. I was figuring on 4x that for a solid boat that was in good shape. The smallest I had considered would be something like a Rawson 30.

(Thankfully, I don't drink, heh)

Quote:
Stop watching those youtubers. They are hurting you.
Thanks
Old 31-05-2020, 12:31   #21

Quote:
Is how huge a budget most of these people seem to have compared to what I have to dream with.
Last October my wife and I were motoring by the Four Seasons in the lagoon of Bora Bora in a 40’ mono and passed by a beautiful Lagoon 77 going the opposite way. I thought to myself, I bet I’m having more fun than that guy.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 13:28   #22

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I don’t have any issue with Youtubers. However, I’d never want their life.

Imagine all the hours you put in shooting content. It would absolutely ruin the experience. Destinations chosen because they are best for the ‘gram or tube. Constantly needing to groom and look presentable. The pressure of new subjects to clog about .

No thanks.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 14:35   #23

I love watching all the Youtubers. They all have something to offer, and its just fantastic to watch all of their adventures, whether they be big budget or small budget. At the end of the day though, sailing and your own adventures will be whatever you make it for yourself. Just get out there and enjoy it while you can.
Barry Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 14:46   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Is how huge a budget most of these people seem to have compared to what I have to dream with.
Screw 'em mate. :P
Learn to fix and build. The satisfaction you will have at the end of the day will be more than they could ever know.
Old 31-05-2020, 14:57   #25

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Some of these YT channels have some seriously drop dead beautiful women. I’m old guy and I can’t imagine pimping my wife the way they do. I guess it panders to the much younger generations.

All that aside, you can see places you might never get to. You can see how different sailors come up with solutions to problems. In a way ... not that far fetched in my mind... you are watching low cost reality shows by amateur entertainers who are producing video to get Patreon supporters to pay their bills. You like their gig throw some coins their way every now and then. Don’t like it then don’t watch it. Not too complex of an idea. Different strokes for different folks. If you are against them doesn’t mean what they are doing is a bad thing. It just means it ain’t your thing. Different generations don’t want to be like your generation. Look at the mess good old America is currently in. That is not a political statement. I love my country. Hopefully the younger generations coming up can solve these severe social problems. My generation certainly hasn’t come up with the correct formula.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 15:57   #26

Boat: Bayliner 2655

Quote:
I'm friends with James on Zingaro. He makes some money on You tube but his real support is the patreon Channel and sales of his Merchandise. Each clip they post takes 30- 40 hours to edit add music etc. then try and find a place to up load the vids. He lives the Lavida Broka life style. Some of the folks do a better job and are not as remote and Likle the Wyns the did RV first now there Boat they have a gr
eat marketing system and lots of followers.
tekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 16:54   #27

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can save your challenges with much less money, some duct tape and WD40.

Do so.

Good advice, excerpt for the WD40. Get some PBBlaster!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 18:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Good advice, excerpt for the WD40. Get some PBBlaster!
He obviously meant WD40 as fishing attractant!
Old 01-06-2020, 05:31   #29

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

The reality of you tube channels is you either do it for the fun of it, expect nothing and probably getting you own reward OR make a business out of it. Once you start producing, you need to keep you audience happy, at least one vid per week, audience expects quality, with that comes the likes and subscribers and with them patrons and $$ support.
But, the big BUT... at some point the audience gets bored of you and want more. What do you do? Start showing off your girlfriend, or the restaurant you are going, or some fancy sport to keep them entertained.
That is the difference between the idiotic you tube good for nothing except showing off and the good ones showing real life experience.
I got tired of them and moved to a very few building their boats (and even those, we will see how long they last...).
I like old sea dog and learning by doing as an exception (and I’m sure there are more real ones out there). Exception to the norm of mediocrity.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:23   #30

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
You can fulfill your dreams if you get real and determine what you need to live on. Look for the smallest boat that meets your needs that is in good "operational" condition; think hull, rigging, sails, diesel; everything else is extra. Look at the boat's bones not at the esthetics. Look beyond the dirt and grime and at the potential but check the boat's ratios to make sure it is designed for the use you have in mind. Do without refrigeration, genset, water maker, the latest elaborate electronics (the older gear will still get you there...use a handheld GPS instead of an expensive chartplotter).

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Well said. I'm so sorry for those on this form who feel the need to have the latest and greatest of everything while tossing out perfectly good kit because it doesn't link with their newest unnecessary thing and then getting on about costs. Many people are limited by imagination and not money.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote